Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Good Eats>The new Dominos Pizza
Tripp 08:14 PM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
I wish I could get a hold of real Chicago Deep Dish or NY Style Pizza down here. But Domino's Papa John's, Pizza Hut, Pizza Inn, and the local cardboard mom n pops are the best we can get down here. There's an Uno's in Myrtle Beach but I hear it's not the same as the real ones in Chicago.

There is a Greek restaurant that serves decent pizza, but I want to try real Deep Dish that will give you a heart attack from one slice.:-)
Surprisingly, DiGiorno(sp?) used to have a decent heart-attack style deep dish, but I think its been discontinued, because I haven't seen it in at least 3-4 years.
[Reply]
JE3146 08:43 PM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
I am not sure the commercial qualifies as bad marketing. Pizza is a tough racket. If your pizza sucks, it takes balls to go on national TV and tell it like it is. They are not saying they thought their pizza sucked, they are saying the PUBLIC thought their pizza sucked. And it did. If they turn their situation around, no one will remember the spots in 5 years. "Where's the BEEF!" it ain't. You would be surprised what passes for "rules" in advertising. Bottom line, there are no rules. Just success and failure. I think this will be a success. But it will not be worth the time if the peole on the phone do not continue to recognize what a huge part they play. In Memphis, I gave up calling for Pizza, cause all you get is slack jawed idiots who can barely speak english and think they are doing somebody a favor by coming in and doing nothing for 8 hours in exchange for their low pay they agreed to work for.
I order online. Dominos is by far the easiest place to order from online that I've experienced.

Hell it even tracks the progress of your pizza down to the name of the person who put the toppings on it.

And this thread just goes to show how subjective pizza is. Personally I can't stand Papa Murphey's, but liked the new Dominos and some are completely the opposite, which is entirely alright.

My favorite pizza place in town is still a place called American Dream Pizza, which is so popular here that even Obama stopped by for a pizza while coming through Oregon on campaign :-).
[Reply]
Starscream 08:51 PM 01-15-2010
Originally Posted by JE3146:

My favorite pizza place in town is still a place called American Dream Pizza, which is so popular here that even Obama stopped by for a pizza while coming through Oregon on campaign :-).
Despite my differences with Obama's policies, I'd gladly stop at any place that a president stopped to eat at. If it's good enough for American royalty, then it's good enough for me. (Exception is McDonalds and Bill Clinton).
[Reply]
UPHOTO 09:15 PM 01-15-2010
I'm a big time pizza snob and dominos was just horrid. BUT I have to say I tried their new improved recipe and I have to give them props on making such a huge change. Still not the greatest pizza but it's not that bad now.

I do have to say that they have the best website I have seen in a long time for a retail experience. Big props to them on the makeover.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 10:03 PM 01-15-2010
I tried it and thought it was very tasty! There are some local restaurants that make much better pizza but for a cheap, fast pizza fix Dominoes may be my new go to.
[Reply]
Cigary 10:29 PM 01-15-2010
In our area they are "guaranteeing" their pizza. If you don't like it you get your money back. I don't like Dominos as a rule but if they are going to put their money where their mouth is I'll try it again. If it's good then I can't beyotch it out but if it sucks I get my money back,,period.
[Reply]
MedicCook 12:29 AM 01-16-2010
I would like to give them a try. I give them credit for actually listening to the people and doing a complete over-haul of their product.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:45 AM 01-16-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
As opposed to "fake shredded cheese"?

Or just fake cheese?
oil based cheese instead of milk based cheese. Also known as cheese food
[Reply]
Powers 06:31 AM 01-16-2010
I felt the old Dominos was so-so, I always liked it better than Pizza Hut but not better than Papa. The new Dominos is MUCH better IMHO. Still prefer Papa Johns when it comes to pizza over all the national chains. One thing unique about Dominos I continue to love are their bread bowl pastas. They are :-). I also think Domino's cheesy bread and cinna-stix are better than any other pizza chain's bread or desert item

Actually i've only had the chicken alfredo but it's too good to try a different one

:-)
[Reply]
T.G 10:20 AM 01-16-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
oil based cheese instead of milk based cheese. Also known as cheese food
Thanks. So they were actually using that crap all these years...

That explains a lot.
[Reply]
acruce 01:44 PM 01-16-2010
There new pizza is pretty good. I had it today. Kind of skimpy on the toppings though.:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 06:05 PM 01-16-2010
Originally Posted by acruce:
There new pizza is pretty good. I had it today. Kind of skimpy on the toppings though.:-)
domino's is always skimpy on the toppings. I use to order triple bacon pizzas back in the day, until I noticed that they never put any more bacon on the pizza than they did a one topping bacon. I called to complain and they basically told me to Fugg off...
[Reply]
Darrell 06:11 PM 01-16-2010
I'll stick with Mountain Mikes. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 07:30 PM 01-16-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I'll stick with Mountain Mikes. :-)
Yeah, we don't have those. :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 08:03 PM 01-16-2010
Who the hell puts pineapple on a friggin pizza???

What next, a fruit lovers pizza?? (wait....would they call it a California Special??)
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:07 PM 01-16-2010
My favorite pizza is Donato's Pepperoni Pizza :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 09:08 PM 01-16-2010
Originally Posted by tobii3:

What next, a fruit lovers pizza?? (wait....would they call it a California Special??)
:-):-):-)

Sorry my Cali botls, but that was funny!
[Reply]
nayslayer 09:19 PM 01-16-2010
I live in NY and there are plenty of half decent pizza placed around that are good. I had Dominios moons ago and gave me heartburn. I used to love pizza hut, but that stuff is all grease. Uno's is the a chain place that has some good pie.
[Reply]
JE3146 11:01 PM 01-16-2010
Originally Posted by tobii3:

Pepperoni & Pineapple

One of our faves :-)
[Reply]
Larry 05:55 PM 01-31-2010
Andy:
If you want a pretty decent Chicago deep dish, delivered to your place, I'd recommend:

http://www.giordanos.com/

While not my absolute favorite, still a good pie, and friends who have moved away have always appreciated when I have shipped them one of these.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 5
< 12 34 > Last »
Up