Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 14
« First < 456 78 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>Mokapots, Moka, or Stovetop Espresso, Period.
germantown rob 10:36 PM 03-18-2009
So after 15+ years of moka pot using I bought a Brikka. :-)

I will say this, it not the same as a moka pot, so until I can make this widget sing I have no opinion.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 09:40 AM 03-20-2009
Originally Posted by Buena Fortuna:
So I got a Moka pot for Christmas, and I use it mostly to make Mokachinos. I tried several different methods to heat and froth milk until I found this little gem.

It heats and froths milk in about 1 minute, and I think it does a great job.

Does anyone else here go to the trouble to heat and froth milk for their Moka?
That's quite a cool looking deal. Pics of your mokaccino results?
[Reply]
Mister Moo 09:46 AM 03-20-2009
Originally Posted by germantown rob:
... until I can make this widget sing I have no opinion.
EvanS got one and thinks it's the greatest thing since roasted coffee beans. Given everything he did to botch up making crema-covered moka with a regular (proper) mokapot I have figured the Brikka is a cop-out utensil for sissies. I know he smokes a lot of burley so, naturally, the red flag was already up on his ideas of what is right and wrong. :-)

I would value your opinion on the performance compared to Bialetti Express.

What size did you get, btw?
[Reply]
Buena Fortuna 10:22 AM 03-20-2009
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
That's quite a cool looking deal. Pics of your mokaccino results?
I'll put some up here in the near future:-)
[Reply]
germantown rob 01:23 PM 03-20-2009
EvanS got one and thinks it's the greatest thing since roasted coffee beans. Given everything he did to botch up making crema-covered moka with a regular (proper) mokapot I have figured the Brikka is a cop-out utensil for sissies. I know he smokes a lot of burley so, naturally, the red flag was already up on his ideas of what is right and wrong. :-)
LOL! :-)

I would value your opinion on the performance compared to Bialetti Express.
Do I have a fever? No I am just Blushing. :-)

What size did you get, btw?
The largest of course. The 4 cup produces roughly the same as a 3 cup moka.

It is different and is tough to put side by side with a moka pot. The entire brew process is only 5 secs long compared to 30 secs in a moka pot so it doesn't have the developed flavors which I am so accustomed to.

The challenge now is to work with the amount of bean and grind size since the pressure is predetermined by the widget (a weight that blocks the spout). I have already found vast differences from the cups made with 20g-30g and the grind from what I use on the aluminum moka pot and what I use in the Stainless pot. It was suggested by someone to try even coarser grind with less bean, so there is much to play with.

I find it difficult to view the Brikka as different from a moka pot but the results I have had so far suggest it is a brew method of it's own.
[Reply]
yourchoice 10:14 PM 06-30-2009
Why did I click on this thread? Looks like I'm going shopping soon. :-)

Thanks for all the great info...hopefully it is as easy as you all make it sound! :-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 05:34 AM 07-01-2009
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
Thanks for all the great info...hopefully it is as easy as you all make it sound! :-)
It is - with freshly roasted and freshly ground beans. It is worth the small effort to find out how great coffee can be. :-)
[Reply]
bookman 08:36 PM 07-11-2009
Bialeti sove top.
[Reply]
TheRealBonger 10:08 AM 03-12-2010
I had the god shot out of my moka pot last night. Trying to choke the machine with fine grind and no tamp brought out the syrupy sweetness in a fresh roasted Rwanda blend from whole foods. Can't wait to get home for another drink :-)
[Reply]
Mister Moo 11:06 AM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by TheRealBonger:
I had the god shot out of my moka pot last night. Trying to choke the machine with fine grind and no tamp brought out the syrupy sweetness in a fresh roasted Rwanda blend from whole foods. Can't wait to get home for another drink :-)
From Top Post: "There are so-called world-class lifetime coffee demons who haven't even DREAMED of making moka like we do, right here in the Asylum. While the gurus are talking about "moka", we're right here getting 100% of the glory out of the beans. Amen."

What can I say? Choke the bastard (almost). :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:09 PM 03-12-2010
Some say to use a very slightly rounded top of fine coffee and that is enough tamp when it is screwed down. I usually just make it flat like measuring flour.

I hardly ever use my moka pots. I use to like 10 years ago, but just got bored with them.
[Reply]
BengalMan 09:50 AM 04-09-2010
I picked up the Bialetti Moka 3 cup and some espresso ground coffee from Starbucks (was the closest thing to Bed Bath and Beyond to get coffee and try it out). Overall, It was a pleasant first experience. The only thing that I don't like is that it simply makes too much. It makes about 4-5 full double espresso cups. With this one, I'm going to be wasting almost half every day which isn't very cost effective. They didn't carry the 1 cup unfortunately. I may order the 1 cup online, that is unless I can put less water and coffee into the 3 cup? Could I fill it half way with water and coffee or is that a no go?
[Reply]
BengalMan 04:24 PM 04-10-2010
I filled it with about 1/2-3/4 of an inch less water and not as much grounds and ended up getting roughly 2 double shots worth which is good. I think I'll stick with the 3 cup, maybe pick up a one cup down the line.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 07:09 PM 04-10-2010
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
I picked up the Bialetti Moka 3 cup ... Could I fill it half way with water and coffee or is that a no go?
No go - no underfilling water or coffee. I way favor the 2-cup for one person.
[Reply]
tupacboy 06:04 PM 04-13-2010
nooberific question here... sorry i'm kinda new to the coffee love world...

so moka = expresso

brika = Brikka is a modified moka pot by Bialetti

Can someone please explain what the express and mukka does?

Thanks
[Reply]
Mister Moo 07:34 PM 04-13-2010
Originally Posted by tupacboy:
nooberific question here... sorry i'm kinda new to the coffee love world...

so moka = expresso

brika = Brikka is a modified moka pot by Bialetti

Can someone please explain what the express and mukka does?

Thanks
moka = not-espresso = very strong coffee made under low pressure created by expanding coffee grounds during the brew cycle. It can be espresso-like but not the same.

espresso = way-strong coffee made under high (9bar+) pressure usually generated by an electric pump.

Bialetti Express is a plain old normal conventional mokapot.

from http://fantes.com/espresso-stovetop.html

Brikka is a mokapot that has a pressure retention device atop the central column (post) that relives the operator of creating the necessary pressure (to make moka) by carefully managing the grind of the coffee and the fill of the basket.
[Reply]
tupacboy 09:02 PM 04-13-2010
if i get a mukka.. i don't have to add milk do i? if i just want coffee?
[Reply]
Mister Moo 05:13 AM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by tupacboy:
if i get a mukka.. i don't have to add milk do i? if i just want coffee?
It needs added milk but I think it can also run with water to make an Americano. I have one and can explore that if you cannot find a clear answer elsewhere.
[Reply]
htown 05:54 AM 04-14-2010
My wife brought one of these home, but we can't get it to work. It creates steam, but no coffee comes out of the top.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 11:05 AM 04-14-2010
Originally Posted by htown:
My wife brought one of these home, but we can't get it to work. It creates steam, but no coffee comes out of the top.
One of these?

That sounds disappointing. Never heard of a problem with a Mukka or Brikka.
[Reply]
Page 6 of 14
« First < 456 78 > Last »
Up