Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 12 of 38
« First < 2101112 131422 > Last »
Coffee Discussion>What are you roasting today?
Mr B 03:45 PM 01-12-2012
I completely disagree. That looks like a good Full City +, maybe creeping toward Vienna.
Remember, roast how you like it. Nobody should tell you what cigars you should like and no one should tell you what roast you should like.

Enjoy it Blak.
[Reply]
Mr B 03:47 PM 01-12-2012
Remember Blak, the darker the roast, the longer you should let it rest. give that at least 3 days before trying. it may be better in 4-5 also.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 04:43 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I have no idea what I am ordering, haha. I just picked a couple of cool sounding names:-)
Who wouldn't order Monkey Blend? Really!
I got some of that in my 4 lb sampler. It's next on my list once I exhaust the Gniess.

This raises a question for me. Should I expect a less uniform roast from the espresso blends? I noticed I have some variance in bean color; some darker, some lighter, etc. Is this due to the fact that it's a blend, or is it something I did wrong? I used a stovetop popper.
[Reply]
Mr B 04:46 PM 01-12-2012
There will be some variation on color. Sometimes 3-4 different beans in the blend. Different sizes also roast at different speeds. Wet Hulled / Dry Huled, this will all come into play while roasting.
[Reply]
BSB 04:59 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by Mr B:
I completely disagree. That looks like a good Full City +, maybe creeping toward Vienna.
Remember, roast how you like it. Nobody should tell you what cigars you should like and no one should tell you what roast you should like.

Enjoy it Blak.
But it sure doesn't hurt, when someone tries to guide you in the right direction.
The whole idea behind buying the high quality coffee, like we get from SM, is to fully experience what coffee has to offer. The darker you roast the coffee, the more the varietal flavors disappear and the roast flavors tend to dominate.
I suggest looking for Kenneth Davids' "Home Coffee Roasting, Romance & Revival" An excellent reference for the home coffee roaster.
[Reply]
Mr B 05:26 PM 01-12-2012
I hear ya.
Before I started roasting my own, I thought all I liked was French Roast. Now, all I drink is roasted to city + to Full City +. If I accidently go beyond that, lets say Vienna, I dont toss it out by any means. I either used it to blend with other lighter roasts or give it to someone who I know will enjoy that darker roast.

Its amazing to see how many people get basically converted from "all I like is French" to "Wow" that lighter roast is great".

But dont be afraid to brew up those darker roasts to see which beans can handle it better than others.
Sometimes you cant get those "chocolates" to come out until you reach that Full City / Full City+ or even Light Vienna ranges.
[Reply]
BSB 06:57 PM 01-12-2012
I roast almost evrything FC-FC+. I LOVE the chocolate flavors and you are right, you gotta go dark enough to get them.
When I said "too dark", I was speaking specificly to that coffee, the Bolivia Beneficio. I just roasted it last week to FC-FC+ and it wasn't what I expected. Went ahead and roasted another small batch to city-city+ and it hit the mark.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 08:41 PM 01-12-2012
I like them dark.. for now. I still have so much to learn it is overwhelming. I do not want to try light roast cuz I am scared I will not like them.

I do not understand this city+, full, vienna... I am so lost at this right now.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:02 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
I like them dark.. for now. I still have so much to learn it is overwhelming. I do not want to try light roast cuz I am scared I will not like them.

I do not understand this city+, full, vienna... I am so lost at this right now.
Sweet Marias has pretty good info that you should look at. They have an extensive library of information.

But basically, the city, city +, full city, full city +, light Vienna, Vienna, French, etc are all different degrees of roast in that order starting at first crack. Where I get confused is when each starts and ends. I know city roast is around first crack, but is it when first crack just begins, or when it ends?
[Reply]
CigarSquid 09:05 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Ordered some more beans today:
(1 Lb each)

El Salvador Finca La Montanita Bourbon
Espresso Monkey Blend
Moka Kadir Blend
Where did you order from? I really want to check out the monkey blend.
[Reply]
CigarSquid 09:07 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Sweet Marias has pretty good info that you should look at. They have an extensive library of information.

But basically, the city, city +, full city, full city +, light Vienna, Vienna, French, etc are all different degrees of roast in that order starting at first crack. Where I get confused is when each starts and ends. I know city roast is around first crack, but is it when first crack just begins, or when it ends?
I have been trying to study this.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/...e-degree-roast
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:09 PM 01-12-2012
If he's talking of the same monkey blend I just got, it comes from sweet Maria's.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:11 PM 01-12-2012
I have been trying to study this.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/library/...e-degree-roast
Try this: http://www.sweetmarias.com/instructions.php#nutshell

Edit: I actually answered my own question by reading that again :-)
[Reply]
CigarSquid 09:13 PM 01-12-2012
Oh, I like that.. I didn't get there yet. Thanks!
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 05:48 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by Mr B:

Enjoy it Blak.
I think it did hit Vienna because there where a couple small fragments off the bean.

Originally Posted by BSB:
But it sure doesn't hurt, when someone tries to guide you in the right direction.
The whole idea behind buying the high quality coffee, like we get from SM, is to fully experience what coffee has to offer. The darker you roast the coffee, the more the varietal flavors disappear and the roast flavors tend to dominate.
I suggest looking for Kenneth Davids' "Home Coffee Roasting, Romance & Revival" An excellent reference for the home coffee roaster.
I appreciate the tips. I will pay more attention to the recommended roast stages on the beans from now on. I just hate seeing the chaff inside the bean so I go darker. I will check Barnes and Nobles for that book this weekend.

Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
If he's talking of the same monkey blend I just got, it comes from sweet Maria's.
Yes that is the one:-)
[Reply]
CigarSquid 07:42 AM 01-13-2012
What do you guys store your roasted beans in?
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:50 AM 01-13-2012
That is a good question, I currently put them in freezer bags and put that inside of a Crown Royal bag to shield from the light.
[Reply]
Mr B 09:24 AM 01-13-2012
I only do small amounts (about enough to get me through the week) and I usually make 3-4 kinds so I can have a variety. I keep them in Zip-Lock bags inside of a small box to keep them from the light.
[Reply]
BSB 09:31 AM 01-13-2012
I use stainless steel canisters with the clamp down seal. Also, just before Christmas, I got some pretty cool de-gassing canisters from Sweet Maries. They are cheap, but seem to work well and cost under $5 each. Don't know if they still have them, but if they do, I recommend.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 02:39 PM 01-13-2012
I roasted the last of my SM Gneiss espresso blend. I used the remainder of the bag (about 11 oz) and I think it may have been a little too much.

I was shooting for Full City. I think I came close. Some Full City+/Light Vienna on some of it though. The blend makes it hard to get a uniform roast, or I'm still just learning. Maybe a little of both.

Would you say this is Full City? Sorry for the poor iPhone quality.

[Reply]
Page 12 of 38
« First < 2101112 131422 > Last »
Up