Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Good Eats>Taylor Pork Roll
The Professor 08:16 AM 02-07-2010
I could have sworn that there was a thread on this already; but I guess I was mistaken.

Been hearing friends with Jersey connections talk about this mystery meat for years; but not being from Jersey, I've never seen it. Well, I was at my local Kroger here in north Texas last night, standing in line at the deli counter, and what did I see? A 3-pound log of Taylor Pork Roll. Texted DavenportESQ to verify that it should be thick cut, and ordered a third pound to sample.

After a brief tutorial over Facebook last night on how to properly prepare (don't forget the notches or it'll curl) and construct the TPR and egg sandwich (Toast, Ketchup, Pork Roll, Egg, Cheese, Toast), I had my hand at it this morning.

To all my Jersey brothers and sisters who I have challenged or mocked for their exuberant defenses of this log of porky goodness, please accept my sincerest apologies. :-)

Taylor Pork Roll is, indeed, hella good. :-) I was gonna take a picture of the sandwich all constructed; but it was too tasty for me to pause and get the camera. :-)

So glad this stuff is available locally. :-)
[Reply]
King James 08:56 AM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by The Professor:
I could have sworn that there was a thread on this already; but I guess I was mistaken.

Been hearing friends with Jersey connections talk about this mystery meat for years; but not being from Jersey, I've never seen it. Well, I was at my local Kroger here in north Texas last night, standing in line at the deli counter, and what did I see? A 3-pound log of Taylor Pork Roll. Texted DavenportESQ to verify that it should be thick cut, and ordered a third pound to sample.

After a brief tutorial over Facebook last night on how to properly prepare (don't forget the notches or it'll curl) and construct the TPR and egg sandwich (Toast, Ketchup, Pork Roll, Egg, Cheese, Toast), I had my hand at it this morning.

To all my Jersey brothers and sisters who I have challenged or mocked for their exuberant defenses of this log of porky goodness, please accept my sincerest apologies. :-)

Taylor Pork Roll is, indeed, hella good. :-) I was gonna take a picture of the sandwich all constructed; but it was too tasty for me to pause and get the camera. :-)

So glad this stuff is available locally. :-)
poor excuse!
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:02 AM 02-07-2010
Sounds like a great breakfast:-)
[Reply]
The Professor 09:07 AM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by King James:
poor excuse!
I'll take a pic of the next one I make ... when I get back from the gym. :-)

remind me not to get my cholesterol or triglycerides checked anytime soon. :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 09:22 AM 02-07-2010
Taylor Pork Roll is, indeed, hella good.
I could have lived the rest of my life without EVER hearing that word again.

Didn't it die in the 90's???

:-)
[Reply]
The Professor 09:28 AM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by tobii3:
I could have lived the rest of my life without EVER hearing that word again.

Didn't it die in the 90's???

Not in Jersey, baby! :-)

[Reply]
Random Guy 09:31 AM 02-07-2010
Yes! Taylor Pork Roll is really good! Orginally from the Philadelphia area so i'm a big fan! Also, you need to try some scrapple if you haven't already. :-)
[Reply]
NeuRon 09:31 AM 02-07-2010
Yes, Taylor Ham (Pork Roll) is a staple of New Jersey.. it never gets old, it never gets disgusting, and i really cant say much else.. I wouldnt want to live here without it (jersey needs all the help it can get), LOL
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 09:38 AM 02-07-2010
Ummm! Taylor Ham. There's a great little bagel shop in Woodbridge we stop by. Taylor ham egg and cheese on an everything bagel. That's heaven, and about 60 points..... :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 10:21 AM 02-07-2010
Taylor Ham and Egg, with Cheese, on a Kaiser.
Hmmm....Hmmm....GOOD!!!
When I first moved to Florida, it was not easy to find.
I freaked out.
Now, it is everywhere.

BTW, I prefer it cut a bit thicker as opposed to thinner. Much more tasty that way.
[Reply]
yourchoice 10:25 AM 02-07-2010
Mmmm..pork roll. Glad you found it. :-)
[Reply]
tenbaseg 10:34 AM 02-07-2010
I grew up in NJ and my family used to make Pork Roll. All I can say is: YUCK

I never liked the stuff. It's been years since I've tried it though. Maybe it's worth another try.
[Reply]
Blueface 10:37 AM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by tenbaseg:
I All I can say is: YUCK
How can you possibly be from Jersey and not like Taylor Ham?
[Reply]
NeuRon 11:24 AM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by tenbaseg:
I grew up in NJ and my family used to make Pork Roll. All I can say is: YUCK

Well its good you moved out of NJ, apparently you dont fit in :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 11:39 AM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by BigRonS:
Well its good you moved out of NJ, apparently you dont fit in :-)
Meaning he may be a decent hunter and/or driver? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 11:41 AM 02-07-2010
Taylor Ham, love it :-)
[Reply]
The Professor 11:53 AM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
Taylor Ham, love it :-)
I knew I could get your attention with this, VS. :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 11:56 AM 02-07-2010
I knew I could get your attention with this, VS. :-)
You remember the old CS thread? :-)
[Reply]
The Professor 12:01 PM 02-07-2010
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
You remember the old CS thread? :-)
That must be the thread I've been thinking of. I searched on multiple sites (not "the site that shall not be named") for a thread and then convinced myself that I made it all up. :-)

For the record, I just had my second sandwich of the day. :-) :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 12:03 PM 02-07-2010
You inspired me... I had eggs over-easy with a couple slices of pork roll. Delicious! :-)

*Around me in S. Jersey we always referred to it as pork roll. It wasn't until I went to Rutgers NB for college that I heard it referred to by its brand name, Taylor.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up