Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Good Eats>had a few days off...smoker
Gonesledn 08:48 AM 04-01-2010
Adam, thanks for the tip
[Reply]
Gonesledn 10:59 PM 04-01-2010
fired up a graycliff crystal today to ponder the finish on the shelf.

decided on a red stain and a few coats of clear. i think it goes well with the brass and black. also painted the lock ring black to match, makes for a super tight fitting lid. only thing i see i dont like so far is the lid handle. it is not high enough, and your knuckles contact the lid. shouldnt betoo hard to fabricate a new handle... maybe brass. just need to figure how to make sure it stays cool, and that the lock ring will still fit.

[Reply]
BigAsh 01:11 PM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by Gonesledn:
fired up a graycliff crystal today to ponder the finish on the shelf.

decided on a red stain and a few coats of clear. i think it goes well with the brass and black. also painted the lock ring black to match, makes for a super tight fitting lid. only thing i see i dont like so far is the lid handle. it is not high enough, and your knuckles contact the lid. shouldnt betoo hard to fabricate a new handle... maybe brass. just need to figure how to make sure it stays cool, and that the lock ring will still fit.

Sweet UDS Wes....love the table!:-)
[Reply]
tupacboy 02:21 PM 04-02-2010
so how many cigars do you want to trade for it ? :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 02:29 PM 04-02-2010
The lid handle I have may be a little taller, but I used a small piece of pipe insulation and it works great.

Killer looking UDS!!!
[Reply]
T.G 03:00 PM 04-02-2010
Originally Posted by Gonesledn:
only thing i see i dont like so far is the lid handle. it is not high enough, and your knuckles contact the lid. shouldnt betoo hard to fabricate a new handle... maybe brass. just need to figure how to make sure it stays cool, and that the lock ring will still fit.
Just some random thoughts...

You could Hit up an industrial electrical supplier, like Graybar Electric or Royal Electric and pick up a 5" Telco D-Ring.

See here 5th item down on the page. They usually just have them in bins on in front of the store.

Maybe take a section of wooden closet hanger bar, drill the center out, then split it and glue it back together over the part of the handle you would grab.

Or. pick up a pair of the big bridal rings and mount them to the lid and use a old broom handle or clothes hangar bar between them. Probably would want to use a backing plate on the inside of the lid if you go that route, as they only have one mounting hole.

Lastly, get a piece of flat steel or thick brass stock, clamp it in a vice, grab a torch and start twisting it up into something that wraps around the ends of a wooden bar or old broom handle.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up