Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 6 of 15
« First < 456 78 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Mac's Apple Pie Shine
pektel 10:56 AM 10-29-2011
I was going to try to make this. No 190 everclear here :-)

Maybe I'll try it with the weaker everclear.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
deadrise 11:19 AM 10-29-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Thought it would be better if I posted my recipe here...more cost effective than sending out pints.

Mac's Applie Pie Shine
Prep time 5 Min
Cook time 30 Min

Ingredients:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider (make sure to get a legit cider. It makes for a better product.)
3 cups white sugar
1 table spoon of Vanilla Extract
8 cinnamon sticks (again, get a legit brand. Spend the extra cash.)
1.5 (750 milliliter) bottles 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol
6-8 shots of Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka

Directions:
In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar, vanilla extract and eight cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely (overnight preferred). When juice mixture is cool, Stir in the grain alcohol and place in jars.

Store in fridge. Before serving, shake the jar (cinnamon residue will float to the bottom), pour in a cup of ice, and drink up!!
alright time to start mass production :-)
[Reply]
chaase321 12:29 PM 10-29-2011
Originally Posted by deadrise:
alright time to start mass production :-)
I am so trying to make some of this tonight! Glad someone posted about this so I could see it, good recipe mac! :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:10 PM 10-29-2011
Originally Posted by chaase321:
I am so trying to make some of this tonight! Glad someone posted about this so I could see it, good recipe mac! :-)
Cole...if you read page two of this thread, I posted the recipe last year. Always good to read some old threads from the beginning. :-)
[Reply]
chaase321 02:16 PM 10-29-2011
Cole...if you read page two of this thread, I posted the recipe last year. Always good to read some old threads from the beginning. :-)
Yeah, I read from the beginning, I was just happy that someone posted to the thread again so it would bump up to the front page of the forums!!!

Looks great though mac!
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:20 PM 10-29-2011
Yeah, I read from the beginning, I was just happy that someone posted to the thread again so it would bump up to the front page of the forums!!!

Looks great though mac!
Tastes even better. :-) :-)
[Reply]
chaase321 03:32 PM 10-29-2011
Mac. Can you pm me how you get your everclear in va? My local abc doesn't carry it.
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:39 PM 10-29-2011
Mac. Can you pm me how you get your everclear in va? My local abc doesn't carry it.
One of the benefits of being retired Army is that I can still use the class 6 store Cole. Virginia has a state law that only allows VA ABC stores to sell the 150 proof...whereas on post, I can still buy the 190 proof.
[Reply]
deadrise 08:02 AM 11-12-2011
made my first 1/2 batch last night that is not the bottle of everclear I got a 750 from a
friend and gave him that one. going to have a bon fire tonight and got 1 gallon of
mac sauce
[Reply]
Mutombo 09:54 AM 11-12-2011
This sounds really good, I'm going to have to make it for the holidays.
[Reply]
deadrise 01:35 AM 11-13-2011
do not bother it is no good everyone drank it all up and laughed (actually cried where is some more)I should have made a full batch
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:51 PM 11-13-2011
This years batches were another success at Epic IV. :-) :-) (Note to self...make three batches next year, as two was not enough)

[Reply]
emopunker2004 10:25 PM 11-16-2011
This years batches were another success at Epic IV. :-) :-) (Note to self...make FOUR batches next year, as two was not enough)

fixt
[Reply]
spectrrr 11:17 AM 11-21-2011
With the holidays fast approaching, a good supply of pie shine is a necessity! Which has got me thinking about ways to tweak the recipe... and I'm pretty sure mac has already tried a number of things, so here's a few questions for ya!

As the recipe stands now, I calculated it to be roughly 13% - 14% ABV

1) What would be the affect of using 2gal of cider instead of 1gal cider and 1gal apple juice?

2a) How about doubling the everclear and leaving all else constant - would the apple flavor get too watery?

2b) If one started with more apple mixture and cooked it down slowly until some evaporated, would the resulting more potent apple mixture offset the increased everclear content?

3) Ever try leaving the cinnamon sticks in the bottle of everclear for about a month prior to making the batches?
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:24 AM 11-21-2011
Well Francis...

1) What would be the affect of using 2gal of cider instead of 1gal cider and 1gal apple juice? I believe the apple juice takes the tartness out of the shine, although if you want a little tartness, go with all cider. And it would make the shine really murky as opposed to a clearer look.

2a) How about doubling the everclear and leaving all else constant - would the apple flavor get too watery? I tried this once...and it tasted nothing like apple pie. Just a too strong for me alcohol taste.

2b) If one started with more apple mixture and cooked it down slowly until some evaporated, would the resulting more potent apple mixture offset the increased everclear content? Not sure how this would effect it, Everclear and Pinnacle are added the following morning after it's cooled down.

3) Ever try leaving the cinnamon sticks in the bottle of everclear for about a month prior to making the batches? Might have to give this a try...:-) :-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 11:56 AM 11-21-2011
:-) thanks mac :-)

I'll do a little playing around, see what I come up with. And then again, sometimes things can't be improved upon :-)

Got the idea of soaking the cinnamon sticks from when I made limoncello. have to soak the lemon zest in everclear for 2 weeks minimum... 3+ months if you want a reallllly smooth product.

Beyond that I have no experience with moonshining, so maybe it wouldnt work at all with the cinnamon!

I've got a little time to soak it if i start now, since I won't be able to get the vodka until Dec 10
[Reply]
rizzle 01:08 PM 11-21-2011
This years batches were another success at Epic IV. :-) :-) (Note to self...make three batches next year, as two was not enough)
For realz. I barely got a glass. Matter of fact, I took the last glass of it and that was about dusk on Saturday. It was gone, bro. Bunch of damn lushes. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:10 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by rizzle:
For realz. I barely got a glass. Matter of fact, I took the last glass of it and that was about dusk on Saturday. It was gone, bro. Bunch of damn lushes. :-)
That's cause you're slow Ritchie. :-) :-) Put some out Friday night and some more out Saturday morning. Might have to come up with a better "ration plan" for next year. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:17 PM 11-21-2011
ration plan is "make more shine, much more shine"
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:26 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
ration plan is "make more shine, much more shine"
Yeah yeah yeah!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 6 of 15
« First < 456 78 > Last »
Up