Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 39 of 196
« First < 29373839 40414989139 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>The Bourbon Thread!!
newcigarz 03:39 PM 11-06-2010
Total Wine in Palm Beach Gardens still has last years Handy and Sazerac. Still no sign of this years Stagg.
[Reply]
McSmokey 06:49 AM 11-09-2010
Unless I've been scammed (and I'll know for sure when it gets here tomorrow) I am about to receive a bottle of Stagg.:-):-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 04:43 PM 11-09-2010
This thread...I oughta...

I mentioned a week ago I am getting into bourbon again. I am also a scotch guy, and it has been my whiskey of choice for a while. A few months ago I was invited to a friends house for a poker game, and bourbon was the drink of choice. I'm very happy I went, because I found a love for bourbon again.

Over the course of the last week, I've read this thread (sheer awesomeness BTW) along with some other online info to help me make good choices for my purchases. Here's my current stash:
Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek
Eagle Rare (10)

Not listed is a recently polished off bottle of Bulleit. :-)

The excitement for the release of the BTAC got the better of me, and I called my local liquor store to ask if they had any George T. Stagg. Luckily, they just got "a couple" bottles in today, and they're holding one for me. :-) He said $60, which sounds like a good price, but this is the first time I'm venturing into a limited bourbon, so IDK.

I'm headed there now to pick it up. Will probably pick up another bottle while there, either Evan Williams SB, or Van Winkle 12. If not, I may pick out something else. :-)

I don't know if I should thank you guys or not??!?!! :-)
[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 05:15 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:

I mentioned a week ago I am getting into bourbon again. I am also a scotch guy, and it has been my whiskey of choice for a while. A few months ago I was invited to a friends house for a poker game, and bourbon was the drink of choice. I'm very happy I went, because I found a love for bourbon again.

Over the course of the last week, I've read this thread (sheer awesomeness BTW) along with some other online info to help me make good choices for my purchases. Here's my current stash:
Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek
Eagle Rare (10)

The excitement for the release of the BTAC got the better of me, and I called my local liquor store to ask if they had any George T. Stagg. Luckily, they just got "a couple" bottles in today, and they're holding one for me. :-) He said $60, which sounds like a good price, but this is the first time I'm venturing into a limited bourbon, so IDK.

I'm headed there now to pick it up. Will probably pick up another bottle while there, either Evan Williams SB, or Van Winkle 12. If not, I may pick out something else. :-)

Before you go thanking us, we'd like you to have at least a dozen bottles of Bourbon, in your stash. That way we'll know your being sincere! LOL! :-)

[Reply]
McSmokey 07:02 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
Before you go thanking us, we'd like you to have at least a dozen bottles of Bourbon, in your stash. That way we'll know your being sincere! LOL! :-)
:-)
[Reply]
weak_link 07:21 PM 11-09-2010
I need some help with something and I know this is the correct place to ask.

I fully realize that Jim Beam is not even close to top shelf stuff but here goes. My father recently gave me two bottles of Jim Beam, unopened and in the boxes, from 1976. One is a special 'bicentennial edition' with a Norman Rockwell painting on the front (painting is called Pipe and Bowl), 4/5's size. The other is also 4/5's but is a 'collector's edition volume XI' featuring a James Lockhart image of a squirrel on the front.

So the big question- are these things worth anything? If they are not, I'll open one for my 40th next year. If they are, maybe I'll trade 'em for smokes or something. Any info you guys might be able to offer up would be greatly appreciated.

[Reply]
JohnnyFlake 08:12 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by weak_link:
I need some help with something and I know this is the correct place to ask.

I fully realize that Jim Beam is not even close to top shelf stuff but here goes. My father recently gave me two bottles of Jim Beam, unopened and in the boxes, from 1976. One is a special 'bicentennial edition' with a Norman Rockwell painting on the front (painting is called Pipe and Bowl), 4/5's size. The other is also 4/5's but is a 'collector's edition volume XI' featuring a James Lockhart image of a squirrel on the front.

So the big question- are these things worth anything? If they are not, I'll open one for my 40th next year. If they are, maybe I'll trade 'em for smokes or something. Any info you guys might be able to offer up would be greatly appreciated.

I have had at least half a dozen of those styles of Jim Beam bottles and I still have Volume XVI with some ducks on the bottle. Unfortunately, they have no real value as they never did become collectible. I've tried to sell them on eBay and some whiskey sites but I never did sell one. I eventually gave a few away and drank a few. Like you say Jim Beam is not a truly high end whiskey, but the blends in these bottles are very good and very smooth. I say break one open and give it a go. I don't think you be disappointed.
[Reply]
ODLS1 08:31 PM 11-09-2010

Woodford Reserve
Knob Creek
Eagle Rare (10)

Get it. If they have Van Winkle 12, get that too. What the hell, I swear the BTAC is more expensive here than any other place. $75 here. Granted good bourbon here is like gold. Van Winkle demand has skyrocketed the past year. People ask for it year 'round now. When we do get it, it's gone in a couple days.
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:24 PM 11-09-2010
Originally Posted by ODLS1:
Get it. If they have Van Winkle 12, get that too. What the hell, I swear the BTAC is more expensive here than any other place. $75 here. Granted good bourbon here is like gold. Van Winkle demand has skyrocketed the past year. People ask for it year 'round now. When we do get it, it's gone in a couple days.
They didn't have the Van Winkle 12, but I did pick up a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel along with the GTS.

While they didn't have the 12, they did have one bottle of the Pappy Van Winkle 23, and it was $169 (might have been $179, but I don't think so). I couldn't bring myself to buy it (as I don't feel I have the palate to appreciate it), but from what I've seen, that seemed like a good price.

I asked if they got any Eagle Rare 17, as I likely would have bought it, but they did not. I saw a bottle of Handy Sazerac behind the counter, but didn't jump to buy it as I don't know much about it (not that I know much about the GTS except for the rave reviews here and elsewhere :-)).
[Reply]
ODLS1 09:33 PM 11-09-2010
They didn't have the Van Winkle 12, but I did pick up a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel along with the GTS.

While they didn't have the 12, they did have one bottle of the Pappy Van Winkle 23, and it was $169 (might have been $179, but I don't think so). I couldn't bring myself to buy it (as I don't feel I have the palate to appreciate it), but from what I've seen, that seemed like a good price.

I asked if they got any Eagle Rare 17, as I likely would have bought it, but they did not. I saw a bottle of Handy Sazerac behind the counter, but didn't jump to buy it as I don't know much about it (not that I know much about the GTS except for the rave reviews here and elsewhere :-)).
Damn the 23yr is like $230+ here, and the 20yr is $130+. While Stagg is great, and the 12 and 15yr Van Winlkes (I haven't had the 20 or 23), the W.L.Weller of the BTAC is the best bourbon I have had to date. Straight/neat, 126 proof, yet still smooth packed with tons of flavor. I hear the Eagle Rare 17 is going downhill. Something about them storing it in stainless steel tanks so it doesn't age any longer since they won't have any more ready for awhile, so it's very limited. I've still never seen a bottle. The store managers snag it up immediately. Ugh. I don't have any experience with Ryes so the Handy and 18yr Sazerac didn't appeal to me. Hope you like the Stagg! I tried it neat, good but a little hot which took away from the flavor. Definitely needs a little water to tone it down a little to a lower proof. That Weller though is phenomenal neat. No burn, but a late warmth of the torso.

I am currently sipping on some Four Roses Limited Edition 2010 Barrel Strength. Very nice.
[Reply]
McSmokey 11:30 AM 11-10-2010
[Reply]
weak_link 11:33 AM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake:
I have had at least half a dozen of those styles of Jim Beam bottles and I still have Volume XVI with some ducks on the bottle. Unfortunately, they have no real value as they never did become collectible. I've tried to sell them on eBay and some whiskey sites but I never did sell one. I eventually gave a few away and drank a few. Like you say Jim Beam is not a truly high end whiskey, but the blends in these bottles are very good and very smooth. I say break one open and give it a go. I don't think you be disappointed.
Thanks, sounds like I'll be having some aged cheap bourbon for my bday in April. :-) :-) I appreciate the info though. :-)
[Reply]
Matt-N-Ga 12:10 PM 11-10-2010
Hell Yeah, guys, some awesome pick ups. I'm still not able to find anything but Weller here. If anyone runs into some Eagle Rare or Handy or Sazerac or Stagg, shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to buy some.
[Reply]
McSmokey 12:17 PM 11-10-2010
Originally Posted by Matt-N-Ga:
Hell Yeah, guys, some awesome pick ups. I'm still not able to find anything but Weller here. If anyone runs into some Eagle Rare or Handy or Sazerac or Stagg, shoot me a PM, I'll be happy to buy some.
I am still searching the web hoping to get lucky again, and I am going to the main ABC store here tonight to see if they happen to have any of the BTAC I was prepping to send you a link to the site I ordered my Stagg from but when I went back to get the link it was sold out. :-)

I have noticed several Olde World sites that actually have various BTACs from years gone by but you got to be ready to pony up the coin.
[Reply]
bresdogsr 08:09 PM 11-10-2010
Enjoying some Eagle Rare 10 tonight!
[Reply]
McSmokey 06:46 AM 11-11-2010
Just joined Straightbourbon.com anyone else a member over there? It looks like a wealth of information for newbs and vets alike.
[Reply]
shark 01:53 PM 11-13-2010
I tried a little Jefferson's Reserve and Elijah Craig 18 year old last weekend, and I was impressed. See, I'm more of a beer drinker and am uninitiated to bourbon, Scotch, etc. I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve today and tried a little bit and liked that as well. Oh no, here we go! Another thing to spend my money on!:-)
[Reply]
auburnfan1980 03:45 PM 11-13-2010
Originally Posted by shark:
I tried a little Jefferson's Reserve and Elijah Craig 18 year old last weekend, and I was impressed. See, I'm more of a beer drinker and am uninitiated to bourbon, Scotch, etc. I picked up a bottle of Woodford Reserve today and tried a little bit and liked that as well. Oh no, here we go! Another thing to spend my money on!:-)
I'm with you on the JR....Knob Creek is definitely my go-to with Eagle Rare as the two I always keep at home. However, when I'm ready to splurge, I buy the $65 JR and savor it for very special smokes. If you're really in the mood to go all-out, try the Jefferson's Presidential Reserve. It's usually around $100/bottle, but it's probably the best bourbon I've ever tried.
[Reply]
McSmokey 07:26 PM 11-13-2010
Cracked open this years Stagg tonite at halftime of the Bama v. Miss St. game. Phenomenal!!
[Reply]
yourchoice 07:32 PM 11-13-2010
Originally Posted by McSmokey:
Cracked open this years Stagg tonite at halftime of the Bama v. Miss St. game. Phenomenal!!
I cracked mine open last night. It is very good, but man is it potent. It didn't help that I followed it with a pour of Knob Creek and a touch of Woodford Reserve! By itself, I really liked WR, but of the three last night, it was my least favorite. The higher ABV of the other two may have contributed to that. :-)
Originally Posted by McSmokey:
Just joined Straightbourbon.com anyone else a member over there? It looks like a wealth of information for newbs and vets alike.
I checked it out and decided to join to. I have the same handle over there.
[Reply]
Page 39 of 196
« First < 29373839 40414989139 > Last »
Up