Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Uptown Cigar Company relocating to Florida!
uptown_isy 01:10 PM 06-03-2010
This is our press release that I'd like to share with everyone....

Kingston, NY – After nearly 14 years in Kingston, Uptown Cigar Company today announced that it will relocate to Florida and close its retail store effective June 30th. Uptown Cigar Company was opened as a neighborhood, family owned and operated cigar store and has grown into one of the cigar community’s premiere retail and online destination sites for quality tobacco products and superior service.

Owner Michelle Tuchman announced the relocation with regret. “I am a New York resident and have been privileged to serve customers both from within the State and across the world through our online presence. However, the rising cost of doing business here in New York no longer allows me to offer my customers a competitive experience and we are forced to move our thriving business to Florida where the accumulated taxes and fees are reasonable.”

When Uptown Cigar Company was founded, New York State’s excise tax on tobacco products was at 20%. Over the years, the industry in New York saw the tax increased first to 37% and then to 46% -- far outpacing the tax rates in other states. This year’s Executive Budget advanced by Governor Paterson proposes to increase the already uncompetitive excise tax to 90%. It is expected that the Legislature will approve this tax increase as part of a final budget deal.

“When I close my store, regrettably I will be forced to lay off 2 full time and 1 part time employees and leave yet another vacant retail space in Kingston,” said Tuchman. “This is, however, the only way I can continue to serve my clients with an even better selection and better prices. Sadly, I think Uptown Cigar Company may be the first tangible casualty of the State’s unending appetite for tax and fee increases.”

Uptown Cigar Company will continue to be found at our updated, secure website, www.uptowncigar.com and toll-free number 877-238-1172. Israel Markevitz, A/K/A Uptown Isy, will be moving along with the business, and will be available to help our loyal customers enjoy their favorite smokes as they have for the past fourteen years. He can be reached at Israel@uptowncigar.com.

We will be holding a HUGE BASH on Friday, June 18th, with cigars, drinks, BBQ, and raffles, as a THANK YOU to all our customers who have been with us for so many years. This event will be all day and I hope to see many of you here. As sad as it is that Uptown Cigar will no longer be in Kingston, this move will be beneficial to ALL our customers.
[Reply]
SmokeyJoe 01:14 PM 06-03-2010
Certainly wish you well with the move...

Where in Florida will you be relocating? :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 01:26 PM 06-03-2010
It sucks that you have to leave your hometown, but NY basically forced you to.

Good luck with the move. :-)
[Reply]
Dark Jester 01:44 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
It sucks that you have to leave your hometown, but NY basically forced you to.

Good luck with the move. :-)
Sorry to see a store close, but hopefully the move will be good for you. :-)

Effectively, they are being forced out. It's not about the Tax Revenue the State is 'trying' to bring in. They know full well that the stores cannot compete (or even keep their doors open) with taxes that high, so effectively they are passing a law banning cigars to be sold locally in the State. Same thing is going on in Colorado right now I guess. They position it as taxing something that isn't good for you anyway to help better everyone, but the real goal is just to get rid of industries they do not agree with.

Scary part is, when they succeed and Tobacco products are abolished from the state and they are no longer getting that brief bump in Tax Revenue, what industry are they going to turn on next? Alcohol? Soda? Chips? Pizza Delivery? Before ya know it the Government will be deciding what kind of TP you can wipe your butt with cause they will tax the hell out of the ones they don't like and force them out of business.

Rep. Political Comment Alert: Someone has to pay for Obamacare. :-) The 2+ Trillion dollars he's already spent since taking office has to come from somewhere. For the next couple years it will be Tobacco and Alcohol. When those are gone, what's next? So much for Land of the Free. The rights of the many are being altered by the narrow-mindedness of the few.
[Reply]
madwilliamflint 04:40 PM 06-03-2010
Bloody sad. But can't blame you.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm getting out of here as well.
[Reply]
Powers 04:54 PM 06-03-2010
sad that ya'll have to relocate but i welcome u to the Sunshine State!
[Reply]
G G 04:58 PM 06-03-2010
Their loss is our gain. Sorry about the lost jobs though.
[Reply]
Superbad 06:40 PM 06-03-2010
Welcome to Sunny Florida. We welcome you and your business, even though you are from NY :-) Where will you be located?
[Reply]
E-Tx Surveyor 07:59 PM 06-03-2010
Best wishes with the move, I've never moved a business that far but I know its tough oving a household that far.
[Reply]
rizzle 11:14 AM 06-04-2010
Welcome to Florida. We just landed Davidoff recently, too.
[Reply]
captain53 11:52 AM 06-04-2010
Wise Move and besides the Weather is a lot better in FL!

Best Wishes on your continued success.:-)
[Reply]
Dave128 11:56 AM 06-04-2010
Good luck with your move.
[Reply]
Up