Entertainment>Wii or ps3
mikeyj23 05:40 PM 12-22-2008
?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
DBall 05:50 PM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by mikeyj23:
?
Per Goalie204, we're all girls or little kids... I guess you have to pick a side.

I suppose I'll be a little kid.
[Reply]
floydp 05:53 PM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by spooble:
1. How old is your son?

The Wii is better suited for youger players. Not that adults can't have a blast with it as well, just that the PS3 doesn't have many good games for pre-teens.

2. Do you have an HD TV?

I have a Wii, and when I upgraded to a hi-def TV, the graphics were so bad that I quit playing it for the most part. The HD TV really accentuates the not-so-great graphics of the Wii. I bought a PS3 and have loved it. Plus it's a blu-ray player.
If your using the cables that came with it then it really does kinda suck. We upgraded them with component cables we got from monoprice.com that drastically improved the vid quality, now it isn't so bad.

We have both consoles and like them for what they are. I prefer the PS3 simply because it is more or less a computer. I stream internet content from a program called Tversity. It also allows me to view whatever I have stored on my computer to the PS3. Gran Toursimo,Fallout3,sport games are fargin awesome on the PS3.

We really like the family oriented games on the Wii and play it together a lot. The game controllers are more fun to use. Not very good for the usual console games. I have Far Cry and a couple racing games but their not great on the Wii.
[Reply]
Cigary 06:16 PM 12-22-2008
Originally Posted by livwire68:
Because I am the Dad, and its my house, my rules! Im bigger than he is (not for much longer)! Just want to make sure his game system goes with his style of gaming.
Amen, Dad. Set the rules early and things will go more smoothly as he grows up. PSP is great and so is Wii,,,flip a coin:-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 07:16 PM 12-22-2008
Stick with the Wii. It actually has a number of excellent games.
[Reply]
CHRONO14 07:41 PM 12-22-2008
If your looking for longevity and a wide variety of great games the ps3 is the way to go. I have a wii and love it though. However, third party game support for the wii (and most nintendo systems historically) is pretty low. If you look at the top rated games for most nintendo systems they are almost always in house games from nintendo. For example, Mario Galaxy, Super smash brothers, Zelda, Mario Party. That isn't necessarilly a bad thing because those games are phenomenal, however the list of third party games for the wii that are of that calibur is very short (rayman raving rabids being one of my favorites).

As for sony systems they typically have high quality games coming out for their systems even late into the life cycles of the system (look at the ps2). Granted if your kid is of a younger age I would probaby go with the wii because it does offer many great games that are playable by young and old alike. However, the ps3 will offer a wide variety of games for a longer period of time, yet they will be geared toward an older crowd.

BTW, not to hijack the thread but if anyone knows of a place that is selling new metal gear sold 4 ps3 bundles that are backwards compatible and aren't price gouging can you shoot me a pm. They seem to be out everywhere unless your willing to pay a ridiculous price for them. I just bought a 60" dlp and need to finally pick up my ps3. Thanks
[Reply]
jledou 07:57 PM 12-22-2008
We have both and in the end I tend to hit the PS3 10-1 over the Wii. My wife prefers the Wii, but also will not sit down and play the regular games. We have guitar hero and rock band for the PS3 and she will play them and likes both. In the long run PS3 tends to be the traditional game console and while the Wii has some very good games, they tend to be Wii specific some almost to the point of a gimmick.
[Reply]
livwire68 02:40 AM 12-23-2008
Ok one more question about the wii I have seen you can connect via. wi-fi to the internet, can you also actually use the internet ex. can I check out whats going on here at CA. And can I hook up a keyboard?
[Reply]
goalie204 05:47 AM 12-23-2008
Perhaps in my drunken state, i didn't express myself correctly. I didn't mean that wii is only for kids and females. I was referring to the xbox employee's statement from last yea rthat it is for kids ( http://repriisent.blogspot.com/2007/...-for-kids.html ) sarcastically.

I thought everyone knew about this, it was a big deal among my friends and I, as literally all my friends have wii's and love them, and we're all over 28 (including my 38 year old sister). I guess sarcasm can't be detected in posts ;/

I apologize if I offended anyone, and shall not be using the intarweb upon drinking lage quantities of vodka anymore. sorry :-)
[Reply]
Whee 11:13 AM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by livwire68:
Ok one more question about the wii I have seen you can connect via. wi-fi to the internet, can you also actually use the internet ex. can I check out whats going on here at CA. And can I hook up a keyboard?
Haven't tried on the Wii, but I can surf with PS3.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:24 AM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by goalie204:

I apologize if I offended anyone, and shall not be using the intarweb upon drinking lage quantities of vodka anymore. sorry :-)
A wise choice.

But what the hell is the "intarweb"? :-)
[Reply]
croatan 12:54 PM 12-23-2008
I have both (had the wii for a while, just got the ps3 last week). Love golf and the other fun sports-type games on the wii. Plus MarioKart--that is blast. The graphics on PS3 are far superior, it seems like there are more games I'm interested in, and it's a blu-ray player. So, again, I just think it comes down to what you're looking for in a system.

I'm not a gamer and haven't owned a video game console since 8-bit Nintendo, but I've been having a blast with both systems.
[Reply]
goalie204 02:23 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by pnoon:
A wise choice.

But what the hell is the "intarweb"? :-)
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=intarweb
[Reply]
pnoon 02:37 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by goalie204:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=intarweb
That figures.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 02:40 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
Haven't tried on the Wii, but I can surf with PS3.
:-) My PS3 is way to small to surf on. But the Wii can access the Internet. :-)
[Reply]
Whee 04:14 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by Big Vito:
:-) My PS3 is way to small to surf on. But the Wii can access the Internet. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
floydp 07:27 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:
I have both (had the wii for a while, just got the ps3 last week). Love golf and the other fun sports-type games on the wii. Plus MarioKart--that is blast. The graphics on PS3 are far superior, it seems like there are more games I'm interested in, and it's a blu-ray player. So, again, I just think it comes down to what you're looking for in a system.

I'm not a gamer and haven't owned a video game console since 8-bit Nintendo, but I've been having a blast with both systems.
Not a gamer either James but I find myself either bowling on the Wii or shooting hoops and other sports games on the PS3 an awful lot lately. blu-ray sealed the deal on getting a PS3.

Had to replace the sensor today on the Wii, the tiny wire it connects to got cut so we went with a Nyko wireless sensor that works great. Really don't have any serious complaints about either system. Very happy with both.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 09:20 PM 12-23-2008
Originally Posted by floydp:
Not a gamer either James but I find myself either bowling on the Wii or shooting hoops and other sports games on the PS3 an awful lot lately. blu-ray sealed the deal on getting a PS3.

Had to replace the sensor today on the Wii, the tiny wire it connects to got cut so we went with a Nyko wireless sensor that works great. Really don't have any serious complaints about either system. Very happy with both.
will have to pick one up :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up