Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Give me your "How to Cut" method
Blak Smyth 07:08 AM 03-30-2012
I use a palio around the house and a Cuban Crafters on the go (Don't wanna loose my beloved Palio). I line up the blade with the first cap on the head, make sure the cigar is at a 90 degree angle from the blade and squeeze fast. Test draw an cut another cap line if necessary.

The most important tip for me was to check the 90 degree angle. Often you think you are straight until you look at it.
[Reply]
joeobx 07:55 AM 03-30-2012
I try to snip as small a peice of the cap as I can and then test the draw, if its tight I'll snip a little more.
[Reply]
shilala 08:02 AM 03-30-2012
If there's one area that really never mattered to me, it's this one. I'll cut a cap with whatever's at hand. If there's nothing at hand, I'll use my teeth.
I do like Xikar xi3 and xi1's, and have a few xi2's in travel humis. The only reason I prefer them is that they don't pinch my hand when I make a cut. I'm clumsy with sliding cutters.
Of all the cutters, my favorite ever are the sliders with the stop in the back and a hole in the center. They measure and cut precisely, handle Beli's nicely, and they're cheap.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:07 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
Of all the cutters, my favorite ever are the sliders with the stop in the back and a hole in the center. They measure and cut precisely, handle Beli's nicely, and they're cheap.
Cuban Crafters makes a very affordable, really well made cutter like this :-)
It is my back up to my Palio and it works great.

[Reply]
shilala 08:11 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
Cuban Crafters makes a very affordable, really well made cutter like this :-)
It is my back up to my Palio and it works great.

I can't tell if that one is all metal, but it's exactly what I was talking about. So far as I'm concerned, it's the perfect design for a cutter. All the rest could go away and I wouldn't miss them a bit. (Except my Spectra Xi3. I wanna keep that one. )
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:16 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by shilala:
I can't tell if that one is all metal, but it's exactly what I was talking about. So far as I'm concerned, it's the perfect design for a cutter. All the rest could go away and I wouldn't miss them a bit. (Except my Spectra Xi3. I wanna keep that one. )
Its a plastic housing, I believe they retail for about $15 and well worth it.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:45 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Palio...I try to shave off the wrapper head without any other tobacco being cut. I am usually pretty close when not perfect.
Originally Posted by BHalbrooks:
Tom... what?
In other words, I try to cut off the wrapper part of the cap and nothing else. The piece I cut off is paper thin if I do it right.
[Reply]
BigJPinDC 09:53 AM 03-30-2012
Ever since the first time I tried the Wolf inverse-v cutter I haven't gone back. I only have a handful of sticks that are belicosos so I sould use the basic slide cutter for those but it's V-cut for me every time.

jp
[Reply]
irratebass 10:14 AM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by BigJPinDC:
Ever since the first time I tried the Wolf inverse-v cutter I haven't gone back. I only have a handful of sticks that are belicosos so I sould use the basic slide cutter for those but it's V-cut for me every time.

jp
I have a nice V-Cutter that Shilala gifted me, I haven't perfected it yet.
[Reply]
Pseudosacred 01:27 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by BigJPinDC:

jp
I have 0 experiance with V's. They kind of intimidate me...for whatever reason...
[Reply]
Islayphile 01:54 PM 03-30-2012
Palio...I try to shave off the wrapper head without any other tobacco being cut. I am usually pretty close when not perfect.
Yup

Palio, works like a frickin' laser!
[Reply]
Tbagley 04:30 PM 03-30-2012
Originally Posted by OLS:
By the way, OP, YOU DO know there were other user names available at the time you joined, right?? :-)
Oh I find rather funny as I've been called that all my life and never took offense as some do it! I was called Tbag before anyone knew what tbagging was all about and damn gavity has made me an even bigger one.

I've always tried to slice just a sliver off the cap but I've got neighbor's who will just hack into the end a good half inch. Never seemed right and they just won't learn.
[Reply]
tsolomon 05:10 PM 03-30-2012
A good quick cut with a Palio, taking the smallest cut off the end. I have a Xikar V-cutter I use on small rg cigars sometimes, real easy to use. You can turn the cigar 90 degrees and cut again if the draw is tight. Xikar MTX multi tool where you take off just a little bit at a time. Takes some time and practice to get use to, but you can really get a nice cut.
[Reply]
trendo 07:02 PM 03-30-2012
Thats what I do, the "cranial twist" works good for this
[Reply]
kickerb 09:38 AM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
My preferred way is to run my pocket knife around the cap and then lift it off.
I saw you do this at Epic last year. I have tried to do this and have failed. Maybe at Epic this year you can show me your technique :-)
[Reply]
ApexAZ 03:52 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by Pseudosacred:
I have 0 experiance with V's. They kind of intimidate me...for whatever reason...
Same. Never used one. Never really looked at one. I envision it catching the cap and just ripping it off.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:55 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by kickerb:
I saw you do this at Epic last year. I have tried to do this and have failed. Maybe at Epic this year you can show me your technique :-)
I'd be glad to:-)
[Reply]
xFreebirdx 04:52 PM 04-04-2012
[Reply]
BigJPinDC 06:20 PM 04-04-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Same. Never used one. Never really looked at one. I envision it catching the cap and just ripping it off.
Nope - the inverse-v pulls out instead of chopping through. IT works with nubs and lanceros alike. Give it a try.
[Reply]
shopkins82 07:54 PM 04-04-2012
I like V and Punch here lately, but I keep a basic stainless slide cutter for the few belicosos I have on hand.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up