Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Hygrometer calibration/ Boveda pack question
SmokinPhysics 08:29 PM 05-23-2012
Let me start by stating I have a Xikar round, adjustable calibration hygro.

I ran the salt test on it, letting it set 36 hours, and I never got it to read any more than 62%. So then I went to my B&M to try to get a Boveda calibration pack, and they were sold out. So I instead went ahead and got a 75 pack and have it setting in a quart-size ziploc with the hyg. Now, I will mention that the ambient temperature fluctuates 72-74°, and so that presumably affects rh. I guess my biggest question is how accurate can I expect that 75 pack to be setting in the ziploc?
[Reply]
RonC 07:21 AM 05-24-2012
extremely accurate. just get most of the air out of the ziploc, and give it a 48 hour test
[Reply]
SmokinPhysics 06:50 PM 05-25-2012
So I'm 36 hours in, and my hyg is reading a steady 68-69; it has yet to even touch 70 :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 07:26 PM 05-25-2012
:-) Nothing wrong with that. No hygrometer is 100% accurate. The most you can expect from a non laboratory grade hygro is +-2%. Just adjust to 75% and leave it for another 24hrs. If it stays constant you are good to go. :-)
[Reply]
dwoodward 07:27 PM 05-25-2012
I never got my Xikar to read right either, It is always 5 RH off even if I try to calibrate it, which doesn't work. I still use it, just gotta remember that it reads 5 RH higher than the actual RH.

Last Xikar product I ever buy since their support is pretty rubbish.
[Reply]
SmokinPhysics 07:34 PM 05-25-2012
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
I never got my Xikar to read right either, It is always 5 RH off even if I try to calibrate it, which doesn't work. I still use it, just gotta remember that it reads 5 RH higher than the actual RH.

Last Xikar product I ever buy since their support is pretty rubbish.
Thanks for the heads up.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:58 PM 05-25-2012
I've had trouble calibrating hygrometers because there were no directions / poor directions on how to get the calibration recorded in the unit. In other words, which button to push and for how long. It might take some experimentation. Or post a pic so folks can see the exact model.
[Reply]
shibby4781 01:21 PM 08-19-2012
Originally Posted by RonC:
extremely accurate. just get most of the air out of the ziploc, and give it a 48 hour test
Hi All! I know this is an older thread but this sparked a question I have had for some time now. What is the best type of container to use and how much air should be in it. If I do it in a zip lock bag should I get most of the air out? Also what is the purpose to getting most of the air out? I usually use the salt test method but I do want to try these calibration kits. They seem to be pretty worth it to get the best accuracy.
[Reply]
md4958 01:44 PM 08-19-2012
I have two of the xikar RECTANGULAR hygros and they seem to be very accurate. I calibrate them using the boveda calibration packets and calibrate after 24 hours by pushing the "calibration" button right through the clear plastic of the boveda bag. Just to be sure they are correct I usually let them sit another 24 to 48 hours depending on if I have to re-calibrate.
[Reply]
Up