Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Humi in a Humi
cbsmokin 12:37 PM 04-29-2009
I have some old, rare, or expensive sticks that I have acquired. I want to isolate them from the rest of my stuff by placing them in a small humi inside of my cabinet humi. Is this a bad idea? Will I need to keep separate humidification going in the small humi or will it become regulated by the cabinet humi. Am I over thinking this? Is the easiest solution to place these delectable smokes into an empty box or cab? I was just trying to make their presence easily identifiable to me.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 12:39 PM 04-29-2009
Originally Posted by cbsmokin:
I have some old, rare, or expensive sticks that I have acquired. I want to isolate them from the rest of my stuff by placing them in a small humi inside of my cabinet humi. Is this a bad idea? Will I need to keep separate humidification going in the small humi or will it become regulated by the cabinet humi. Am I over thinking this? Is the easiest solution to place these delectable smokes into an empty box or cab? I was just trying to make their presence easily identifiable to me.
Ding, Ding, Ding.......
[Reply]
Skywalker 12:51 PM 04-29-2009
If the inner Humidor leaks like a sieve, then yes!

If the inner Humidor is of good quality and holds humidity well, then I wouldn't put it in another Humidor. A box would work better.
:-)
[Reply]
shortstory5 01:08 PM 04-29-2009
I'd say it's personal preference, but I'd just put them in a box.
[Reply]
ca21455 01:36 PM 04-29-2009
I vote put them in a box inside your cab.

Pitting a humidifier inside a humidifier is like jumbo shrimp, the two don't go together. :-)
[Reply]
cbsmokin 01:49 PM 04-29-2009
Maybe I just need to put my cabinet humi inside a giant Aristocrat.

Now I might be on to something.
[Reply]
Cyanide 01:51 PM 04-29-2009
I would say you best solution is to drill a hole in the side of both the smaller humidor and the cabinet, then seal in a flexible PVC tube between the two. Then, from within the cabinet, point a fan at the tube hole to circulate air from the large to small humi. You may have to repeat this process for an "air return" as well. Finally, you will have to anticipate a "humidity lag" of approx x = (( 10% X volume small humi / volume large humi ) X length of tube (cm) / 2.75) X diameter of tube^2 X 3.14144 / 100. Thus, you will want to set the large humi RH to y+x, where y is the RH you want for the small humi.

Cheers

John
[Reply]
cbsmokin 02:00 PM 04-29-2009
Originally Posted by Cyanide:
I would say you best solution is to drill a hole in the side of both the smaller humidor and the cabinet, then seal in a flexible PVC tube between the two. Then, from within the cabinet, point a fan at the tube hole to circulate air from the large to small humi. You may have to repeat this process for an "air return" as well. Finally, you will have to anticipate a "humidity lag" of approx x = (( 10% X volume small humi / volume large humi ) X length of tube (cm) / 2.75) X diameter of tube^2 X 3.14144 / 100. Thus, you will want to set the large humi RH to y+x, where y is the RH you want for the small humi.

Cheers

John
I think a schematic would be helpful. Please make sure it is to scale. Be sure to calculate the CFM I will need on the fan.
[Reply]
Hitagain 02:14 PM 04-29-2009
You would need to have about 60+ air changes per hour to maintain equal humidity levels within 5%.
[Reply]
groogs 02:40 PM 04-29-2009

Cheers

John

That is funny Chit. I needed that.:-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 02:47 PM 04-29-2009
Just buy a humidifier and bring your whole house up to 65% RH!!! Make sure to keep your closet doors open!!!:-)
[Reply]
BigCat 02:53 PM 04-29-2009
I keep a small 20 ct. humidor in my cooler with random singles. I have never put a humidificationd device in it and have never had any trouble smoking the sticks that come out of it. I think it is a rare humidor that is completely air tight - there has to be some air exchange. As long as the air in the big humidor is the right RH, there shouldn't be any problems.
[Reply]
groogs 03:12 PM 04-29-2009
Originally Posted by BigCat:
I keep a small 20 ct. humidor in my cooler with random singles. I have never put a humidificationd device in it and have never had any trouble smoking the sticks that come out of it. I think it is a rare humidor that is completely air tight - there has to be some air exchange. As long as the air in the big humidor is the right RH, there shouldn't be any problems.
:-)I also keep a bunch of small humidors in my cooler and cabinet and I have never had a problem. I put all my CC's that come in dress boxes into small humidors because I can fit more into them and save space. I never put any humidification devices in them and the cigars always smoke great.
[Reply]
ucla695 08:10 PM 04-29-2009
Not a problem at all. Just be sure to check on it every now and then. :-)
[Reply]
HK3- 08:13 PM 04-29-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Just buy a humidifier and bring your whole house up to 65% RH!!! Make sure to keep your closet doors open!!!:-)
That's some funny chit! I may have drooled on myself. :-)
[Reply]
rrplasencia 10:20 PM 04-29-2009

Cheers

John
thats just funny :-)
[Reply]
Up