Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Beer with Syrup - Do you like?
KenyanSandBoa 10:40 AM 02-23-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I still feel queasy from when I got sick from Boston Beer Works' Blueberry Ale in 1995.... Still remember looking as those berries floating on top of the beer.
Funny you mentioned that...my brother got sick from the same exact thing right before a Red Sox game. That made for an interesting night. :-)

I've never tried syrup with beer. I'm guessing I wouldn't like it because I don't really like sweet beers.
[Reply]
MikeyC 03:34 PM 02-23-2010
A lot of beers that have fruit flavor are overly sweet. I prefer the ones that are sour like lambics and krieks.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:52 AM 02-24-2010
Haven't heard of beer + syrup. The closest experience I've had is probably a shandy (lager + lemonade,) popular in Europe. An interesting combination, not one I'd drink very often. Another version is the "turbo shandy," which is beer + citrus-flavored alcohol drinks like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Smirnoff Ice.

Can't bring myself to do either of those. :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 01:44 PM 02-26-2010
This or...

This???

:-)
[Reply]
Mark C 04:33 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
In France this is quite popular; mixing beer with fruit syrups. Do any of you do this, or order it at bars? Apricot is one my preferred flavors.
Ever try Magic Hat #9? It's not marketed as a 'flavored beer', but there's definitely a 'slightly more than subtle' hint of apricot in there. I love that stuff.

Originally Posted by Razorhog:
I regard flavored beers the same way I do flavored cigars.... Just don't care for them. The closest I get to a flavored beer is Abita Purple Haze (Raspberry Wheat beer)
I'm a sucker for all things raspberry, that's one of my favorites. A local microbrewery makes a chocolate raspberry stout around Valentine's Day, it's definitely a winner. Consequently my first homebrew was a chocolate raspberry stout, also a winner.
[Reply]
T.G 09:15 PM 02-26-2010
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
This or...

This???

:-)
You dumbass, Moses said fruit syrup.

[Reply]
MikeyC 08:01 AM 02-27-2010
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Haven't heard of beer + syrup. The closest experience I've had is probably a shandy (lager + lemonade,) popular in Europe. An interesting combination, not one I'd drink very often. Another version is the "turbo shandy," which is beer + citrus-flavored alcohol drinks like Mike's Hard Lemonade or Smirnoff Ice.

Can't bring myself to do either of those. :-)
Linenkugel's summer seasonal beer is a shandy. I had some last summer :-)
[Reply]
Snake Hips 12:40 AM 02-28-2010
Doesn't Warsteiner make fruit-flavored beers? It's Germany's Keystone, so I thought that was just another take on teenage European party swill - I had no idea this was a popular concept across the pond.

Seeing fruit-flavored import beer produced almost as much culture shock as when I walked into London pubs to see the bartenders handing $5 bottle after $5 bottle of Budweiser up and over the dozens of neglected taps ready to serve $5 pints of local ales.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:20 AM 02-28-2010
Originally Posted by Snake Hips:
Seeing fruit-flavored import beer produced almost as much culture shock as when I walked into London pubs to see the bartenders handing $5 bottle after $5 bottle of Budweiser up and over the dozens of neglected taps ready to serve $5 pints of local ales.
The Budweiser tastes much different than it does here, and is not bad actually in UK compared to here.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 06:57 AM 02-28-2010
Thought this thread was going to be about maple syrup in beer. I made some homebrew a few years back substituting maple sap for water, wasn't great, but probably could be improved upon.

I really don't like the syrupy fruit beers, spanish peaks raspberry comes to mind. A hint of fruit is fine with me if it changes the color of the beer it is too much.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:37 AM 02-28-2010
Originally Posted by Salvelinus:
I really don't like the syrupy fruit beers, spanish peaks raspberry comes to mind. A hint of fruit is fine with me if it changes the color of the beer it is too much.
Adding syrup and serving time comes out much different than brewed with syrup and beer is very light with a light fruit syrup makes for an easy drinking beer almost into the "beverage" more than booze.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up