Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Epic Herfing tips?
kenstogie 10:36 AM 06-11-2010
Over the past 2 years I have been graciously invited to many of the local herfs in my area and was thinking that hosting my own only seem fair.

Not a millionaire but if any of you BOTL's /SOTL's have ideas on how to make an epic herf your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Of course when I do come up with a date the inmates are invited. :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:42 AM 06-11-2010
Ken...good food, some beverages, sticks, and friends=good time!!

There is always the option of dancing girls and fire trucks. :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:46 AM 06-11-2010
stripper pole!
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 10:53 AM 06-11-2010
Comfortable seating, ash tray's, music, finger food, and booze is a good start. Will this be indoors or outdoors?
[Reply]
kenstogie 10:57 AM 06-11-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Comfortable seating, ash tray's, music, finger food, and booze is a good start. Will this be indoors or outdoors?
All of the above. :-) I don't mind spending SOME cash but you know I got a mortgage and all.
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:02 AM 06-11-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
make it pot luck and byob?

what makes it epic is the people.
[Reply]
weak_link 11:14 AM 06-11-2010
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
This one right here.

Have everyone bring a little something and enjoy the day.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:25 AM 06-11-2010
make it pot luck and byob?

:-) Not necessary to go overboard with food and prep. Maybe just provide the main course and have everyone bring sides. As host you are opening up your home and that is the main part of any herf. While some herfs may be larger than others, the size or quantity of food has no bearing on its "epic-ness"
As far as booze, it depends on the host laws in your state. If someone gets drunk on your alcohol in Cali and causes an accident, the host has a big problem. :-)
[Reply]
Sailchaser 11:33 AM 06-11-2010
A Herf is the GATHERING OF THE PEOPLE WHO ENJOY CIGAR SMOKING
That is what makes it Great

I have been at herfs with 2-4 people that have been as enjoyable as the Big Herfs, I personal like it anytime I can have a cigar with Good Friends New and Old:-)
[Reply]
markem 11:38 AM 06-11-2010
My herfs are not epic in any sense, but we have fun and, so far, no one has died. :-)

We do the herfs as a pot luck. Tradition has it that I smoke a brisket and do little else except harass people. If they want something else to eat or anything besides water to drink, it has to be brought (oh yeah, and they better bring chairs too). Everyone has gotten pretty comfortable taking over my kitchen, which is a good thing.

A relaxed atmosphere, good people and good sticks are all it takes, IMO.

Of course, it helps to have one of these in your backyard to aid in the atmosphere, but what do I know...

[Reply]
MiamiE 11:42 AM 06-11-2010
The place doesn't matter one bit. Trust me. You'll have fun talking lots of ****, and smoking lots of cigars with awesome BOTL. Everyone chips in.
[Reply]
massphatness 12:02 PM 06-11-2010
Ken - the people make the herf epic, not the accoutrements. No need to spend more than a few bucks on coolers full of ice (not ICE :-)) Every herf I've hosted has ended up with waaaaay more food than needed because people tend to bring stuff to contribute. My only suggestion is to let people know the seating situation ... that way if they want to bring a herf chair (or a herf-a-lounger, in my case), they can.

So when's the date?
[Reply]
Mugen910 12:07 PM 06-11-2010
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Ken - the people make the herf epic, not the accoutrements. No need to spend more than a few bucks on coolers full of ice (not ICE :-)) Every herf I've hosted has ended up with waaaaay more food than needed because people tend to bring stuff to contribute. My only suggestion is to let people know the seating situation ... that way if they want to bring a herf chair (or a herf-a-lounger, in my case), they can.

So when's the date?
What is it with you and big words today...stop making me go to dictionary.com :-)

Mark is that a dog or mountain lion? I don't know how relaxed I'd be near a mountain lion. :-)

Attached: BackYard2006-small.jpg (117.3 KB) 
[Reply]
markem 12:12 PM 06-11-2010

Mark is that a dog or mountain lion? :-)
That is my greyhound, Krypto the Wonder Dog. Here's a picture from the first race he won

[Reply]
Mugen910 12:14 PM 06-11-2010
Originally Posted by markem:
That is my greyhound, Krypto the Wonder Dog. Here's a picture from the first race he won

ah ok...phew!
[Reply]
kenstogie 12:37 PM 06-11-2010
My thought would be to have a pull or draw that will attract the "fringe" attendees. I would like it to have many, many folk and essentially "take over" the neighborhood. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:38 PM 06-11-2010
I like to have a theme with the booze and that something everyone can contribute to. We'll do a certain vintage or house of port. All champagne, mix of French wines, or chip in for something grand...

You should never have to float it alone, and just about everyone wants to chip in.

It comes down to what your guests are into. Case of beer, jero of DP... find something everyone would be down for and is affordable.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:56 PM 06-11-2010
ah ok...phew!
bring some cow hide chews and you'll be fine Bao
[Reply]
pnoon 01:02 PM 06-11-2010
Krypto can even outdo me. :-)

No lie.

Originally Posted by markem:

Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
markem 01:21 PM 06-11-2010
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Krypto can even outdo me. :-)

No lie.
Amateur :-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up