Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 14 of 16
« First < 4121314 1516 >
All Cigar Discussion>How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long Post
proguy747 09:28 PM 11-01-2011
Following this procedure as I type. Thanks for the great info.
[Reply]
T.G 09:53 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by Sonic04GT:
I used a very basic mercury thermometer which read about -13C. Figured 72hrs should be a safe bet since it only takes 48hrs at -10C.
You'll probably be ok, but something to keep in mind is that home refrigerator/freezers don't hold a constant temp. You might have read -13 at that point, but they can potentially cycle by quite a large range. 10 degrees is not uncommon, and some swing even more. The ideal under those circumstances would be to use a logging thermometer to find out what the highest temperature the freezer gets up to, and then use the recommended length of time for that temperature.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 09:56 PM 11-01-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
You'll probably be ok, but something to keep in mind is that home refrigerator/freezers don't hold a constant temp. You might have read -13 at that point, but they can potentially cycle by quite a large range. 10 degrees is not uncommon, and some swing even more. The ideal under those circumstances would be to use a logging thermometer to find out what the highest temperature the freezer gets up to, and then use the recommended length of time for that temperature.
Yeah one of these days I'll get a quality thermometer. To be honest though, I checked the freezer quite a few times throughout the day before I put any cigars in and nearly every time it read -13C. Could have been great timing haha

Even at -10 though, a little room for fluctuation, I still give it another 24hrs.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 09:21 PM 02-29-2012
I opened a new box today to find a crawler of some sort. I don't believe it was a beedle, though. Regardless, to the freezer the box went.

Thanks for all the info and helping me preserve my treats!
[Reply]
thecatch83 11:51 PM 03-01-2012
nice catch Zach! I am still smoking sticks I put in the ice box a year after sitting in my cooler and they taste fantastic!!! Sadly, it was my last 601 Blue until my 3 boxes come!
[Reply]
Apexkingjusto 07:15 AM 03-18-2012
I think I've read enough threads and heard from enough people now with more experience then me, it's time to start freezing. Now to find some room in the fridge/freezer. Perhaps I should time it with the purchase of a new cooler.
[Reply]
Cookee 04:13 AM 01-12-2013
Thank you for putting together as I noob I wanted to know what I should look out for, this is great and very informative.
[Reply]
jldude12345 11:16 PM 01-15-2013
I had a large stash of Maria Mancini pre embargo stogies which got infested with beatles. I wish I would have known about freezing back then.
[Reply]
Mentallyrechartd 10:50 PM 01-26-2013
Thanks for this. You have saved me and many others from loss.
[Reply]
xxx_busa 01:30 PM 03-14-2013
Thanks for the great and helpful info, Its been a long time since I've had any issue, but this surely assists when trouble arrises
[Reply]
massphatness 08:36 AM 07-08-2013
Perfect example of why I freeze.

This is a Festival Mareva, a prized stick for me. Notice the beetle hole. Because I freeze everything upon receipt, I can take comfort in the fact that this happened prior to me receiving the box a few years back. Otherwise, I may be have been looking at more disastrous and expensive situation.
[Reply]
mk05 11:34 AM 07-10-2013
Nice flute

Wondering what people are doing regarding this topic...are people still freezing? I am not.
[Reply]
14holestogie 11:38 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by mk05:
Nice flute

Wondering what people are doing regarding this topic...are people still freezing? I am not.
I would imagine those that see the benefit of freezing are still freezing.
I do and am.
[Reply]
bobarian 11:51 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Perfect example of why I freeze.

This is a Festival Mareva, a prized stick for me. Notice the beetle hole. Because I freeze everything upon receipt, I can take comfort in the fact that this happened prior to me receiving the box a few years back. Otherwise, I may be have been looking at more disastrous and expensive situation.
Makes me sad. :-)
[Reply]
BaitFish 01:08 PM 08-19-2013
Where do people stand on this topic now? I noticed this thread is several years old. Do you still freeze? If so, is it more out of habit now? I'm wondering if the industry has made any improvements the last few years to prevent beetles in their products. I may start freezing myself, if nothing else but for piece of mind.
[Reply]
equetefue 01:17 PM 08-19-2013
man, i need to start freezing.. just so afraid of the wrapper splitting so bad
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:21 PM 08-19-2013
Originally Posted by BaitFish:
Where do people stand on this topic now? I noticed this thread is several years old. Do you still freeze? If so, is it more out of habit now? I'm wondering if the industry has made any improvements the last few years to prevent beetles in their products. I may start freezing myself, if nothing else but for piece of mind.
I still freeze. With the investment made, it's worth the extra step to make sure none of it gets affected.

Originally Posted by equetefue:
man, i need to start freezing.. just so afraid of the wrapper splitting so bad
I've frozen all my cigars, including LE Tat's that have the thinnest of wrappers, without any issues. Just give them time to acclimate back in the humidor after removing from the freezer. I usually give it 2-3 weeks before I smoke anything I froze.
[Reply]
baust55 06:16 PM 10-13-2013
I am new here I recently went from a seldom smoker to a little more often . I am 100 miles from any decent B & M's so I got a humidor and ordered a few bundles . I googled up about how to take care of the humidor and cigars . I read article about freezing . When I got my bundles each cigar was in a cello and the bundle wrapped in cello . I put the bundles in several large zip locks . with most air squeezed out . I put them in the fridge for 24 hours then into my small cheapi deep freezer in the basement for 72 hours ... probably over kill . then back to the fridge for 24 then in room temp for 12hr then into the humidor . how dose that sound to you experts ?

Austin
[Reply]
bobarian 07:14 PM 10-13-2013
Perfect
[Reply]
baust55 07:49 PM 10-13-2013
COOL NO BUGS FOR ME !

Austin
[Reply]
Page 14 of 16
« First < 4121314 1516 >
Up