Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 12 of 16
« First < 2101112 1314 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>How to Freeze and the Science behind it. Long Post
Sherlockholms 06:29 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Sorry bro but that makes no sense to me. Moisture is much higher in the cigars than in a bag you just put them in. That tiny, tiny amount of room temp air isn't going to harm anything. Been freezing for almost 6 years and never had any problems. It's not rocket science. Double bag the cigars, leave in freezer, take cigars out and let them acclimate to room temp then in the humidor.
Lol, go ahead and disregard my rambling.
[Reply]
jjirons69 06:35 PM 06-16-2011
Froze many a box, never completely shed of air. NEver had any problems whatsoever. Recipe: -10F in my deep freezer for 3 days, 6 hours in the frig, then unpack and store away. Smoke at your leisure. Mr. Biscuit has a valid point - the air is fine. Double-bag and go.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 06:35 PM 06-16-2011
Originally Posted by Sherlockholms:
Lol, go ahead and disregard my rambling.
Re-reading my post I came off a bit harsh. Sorry for that. Image
[Reply]
Sherlockholms 06:39 PM 06-16-2011
Np, I should have found some info first before posting. I'm sure it just confused Jake more then it did help him. I was going off of memory, and you are more experienced then I am in this matter! Thanks for your info and input Chutney.
[Reply]
kneedragger 10:49 PM 06-26-2011
Finished freezing my first bundle today and i didnt screw anything up thanks to this thread :-)
[Reply]
thermal 06:26 AM 07-13-2011
Cryonics (from Greek kryos- meaning icy cold) is the low-temperature preservation of humans and animals who can no longer be sustained by contemporary medicine, with the hope that healing and resuscitation may be possible in the future. Cryopreservation of people or large animals is not reversible with current technology.
[Reply]
icehog3 09:34 AM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by thermal:
Cryonics (from Greek kryos- meaning icy cold) is the low-temperature preservation of humans and animals who can no longer be sustained by contemporary medicine, with the hope that healing and resuscitation may be possible in the future. Cryopreservation of people or large animals is not reversible with current technology.
Yeah, great. This thread is about freezing cigars. I know you feel you have to post something to justify your vendor links, but can you make that something cigar related?
[Reply]
massphatness 10:05 AM 07-13-2011
But is cryopreservation of cigars reversible, Tom? I have heard serious wrapper damage can occur.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:27 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
But is cryopreservation of cigars reversible, Tom? I have heard serious wrapper damage can occur.
Vin, the last time I cryopreserved my cigars, I actually went back in time.
[Reply]
massphatness 01:31 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Maybe I'll try that -- I'd like to go back to when I fit into size 36 Levis -- when I was 15.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:35 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Maybe I'll try that -- I'd like to go back to when I fit into size 36 Levis -- when I was 15.
I enjoyed the past, until I found out there was no microwave popcorn before microwave ovens were invented.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:14 PM 07-13-2011
I enjoyed the past, until I found out there was no microwave popcorn before microwave ovens were invented.
Didn't know you were old enough to even remember a time before microwave popcorn Admiral! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 05:18 PM 07-13-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Didn't know you were old enough to even remember a time before microwave popcorn Admiral! :-)
My Mom bought the original Amana microwave when they came out, I think that thing weighed 150 pounds, Michael. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:58 PM 07-13-2011
My Mom bought the original Amana microwave when they came out, I think that thing weighed 150 pounds, Michael. :-)
We had one of those too -- it was a "Radar Range"... Big, Clunky, and very cool at the time :-)

It was so big it did not fit on the counter and we had to get a little table for it...
[Reply]
Tyler 04:55 PM 07-25-2011
Well I am paranoid now lol. Should I freeze my whole stash now?
[Reply]
DPD6030 04:59 PM 07-25-2011
Originally Posted by Wallbright:
Well I am paranoid now lol. Should I freeze my whole stash now?
yes
[Reply]
nosdog2 10:43 AM 08-11-2011
Can you freeze them too long? Reason I am asking is I have some new cigars and my humidor is set to be delivered today. Can I freeze them while I season the humidor?? Or should I wait and store them in tupperware untill I get the humidor squared away and then freeze them for storage?
[Reply]
T.G 10:51 AM 08-11-2011
Just freeze them when they come in, then put them in the tupperware while you wait for the humidor to be ready.

As for too long, depends. A week? Nah. 10 days? Nah. A month? Yeah, probably, but depends a lot on the freezer. Not that it'll physically hurt the cigars so much as they might start to pick up that wonderful "freezer/frost taste" after that long if it's one that cycles tempratures a lot or is opened often (like most home refrigerator/freezer combos).
[Reply]
Devanmc 10:52 AM 08-11-2011
Originally Posted by nosdog2:
Can you freeze them too long? Reason I am asking is I have some new cigars and my humidor is set to be delivered today. Can I freeze them while I season the humidor?? Or should I wait and store them in tupperware untill I get the humidor squared away and then freeze them for storage?
well i did a huge batch freeze of everything in a brothers meat freezer. we forgot about a bag of sticks. they were cheapies but i think they were frozen for 3weeks. They are smoking fine.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:26 AM 08-11-2011
Do I understand the OP correctly?
At 32 degrees it would take 1176 hours to ensure beetles of all stages are killed?

"0 degrees C Time to 100% mortality 1176 hr"
[Reply]
Page 12 of 16
« First < 2101112 1314 > Last »
Up