Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Decisions? Need Help! Monolith 1200c or Traditional Humidor.
Alucard 02:37 PM 04-25-2011
I am at a crossroad. I need a larger humidor, do I go and invest in a Monolith 1200c or do I get a larger humidor with an electronic cigar humidifier. I have close to 800 cigars and need a larger storage unit. Has anyone had any problems with the Monolith, and if so how was the warranty? Is it better to go with a commercial humidor and use a electric humidifier. If the electric humidifier breaks down it is easier to replace. I don’t what to do. Any suggestions, help and or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
[Reply]
awsmith4 02:45 PM 04-25-2011
If I was going to invest it would be in an Aristocrat. But you could always convert a Vinotemp wine cooler and get shelves/drawers made from a few different people here.

This Aristocrat is slightly shorter but wider than the Monolith

http://www.aristocrathumidors.com/aristocrat-m.html
[Reply]
shilala 03:55 PM 04-25-2011
I don't know what a Monolith is.
[Reply]
CigarNut 04:03 PM 04-25-2011
Or, you could go the less expensive route and go with a coolerdor and have more money left for cigars :-)
[Reply]
DMK 05:23 PM 04-25-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Or, you could go the less expensive route and go with a coolerdor and have more money left for cigars :-)
:-) more than one cooler....
[Reply]
Alucard 08:27 PM 04-25-2011
Thanks guys for your input. I have looked at as few of a large wineadors and the cost is just under what a monolith 1200c would cost, after you build spanish cedar selves etc. Living in Victoria BC I am not too worried about heat or humidity. It rarely gets above 22 degrees and humidity averages around 50%. Still I would like to know the reliability of these units. However the more I probe into these the more I'll stay with the tried and true units .
The unit I am looking at is similar to the one in this link

http://www.qualityimporters.com/qual...ail.asp?ID=484

Thanks again
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:00 AM 04-26-2011
Originally Posted by Alucard:
Thanks guys for your input. I have looked at as few of a large wineadors and the cost is just under what a monolith 1200c would cost, after you build spanish cedar selves etc. Living in Victoria BC I am not too worried about heat or humidity. It rarely gets above 22 degrees and humidity averages around 50%. Still I would like to know the reliability of these units. However the more I probe into these the more I'll stay with the tried and true units .
The unit I am looking at is similar to the one in this link

http://www.qualityimporters.com/qual...ail.asp?ID=484

Thanks again
With all those drawers and no door(s) to cover the front I would worry about the seal. I am not saying that this is a bad product or that the drawers would not seal well, but not having seen it in person, that is what I would worry about...

Also, with tall cabinets you can have fluctuation's in RH between the top and the bottom. A small fan or two can take care of that, but it is also something to be aware of.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:01 AM 04-26-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
With all those drawers and no door(s) to cover the front I would worry about the seal.
My first thought as well, Michael.
[Reply]
Alucard 01:45 PM 04-26-2011
Didn't think about that! This is my first big humidor so I need something that will hold around 800 to 1500 cigars.
[Reply]
bvilchez 02:40 PM 04-26-2011
This is actually the Monolith 1200c. Similar to a Vino....sort of.

http://www.xhumidor.com/products_detail.asp?ID=578
[Reply]
Eleven 03:03 PM 04-26-2011
Funny how Aristocrat is the only one who puts prices on the pages.
[Reply]
T.G 03:30 PM 04-26-2011
Originally Posted by Eleven:
Funny how Aristocrat is the only one who puts prices on the pages.
Of the three mentioned so far in this thread, yes.

Vigilant and Avallo also both have some offerings along the lines of what the OP might(?) be looking for. Both sites offer pricing info.

Both Bob Stabel of Aristocrat and RonC of Cigarsolutions (exclusive Avallo dealer) are members here and could probably answer any specifics regarding their products.
[Reply]
bobarian 04:52 PM 04-26-2011
I am partial to Igloo or Coleman. Rubbermaid is also very functional. :-)
[Reply]
nofeardiver 08:59 PM 04-26-2011
I know two guys who have the Aristocrats and swear by them, i have an edgestar, and it does pretty good...
[Reply]
Alucard 09:45 AM 05-04-2011
Thanks guys I have made a decision and will post the photos of her when she arrives.
I went with the Aging Vault and all doors and drawers have a seal. I will keep you all informed how she's good " I hope" she is.
[Reply]
Up