Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Dumb Ashtray question!
EricF 10:47 AM 04-17-2011
I, like most of us have my man cave on my patio in the backyard. I have an issue with emptying my ashtray everynight when I am done smoking. Too Lazy I guess!

Living in South Florida it can rain at a moments notice down, up, sideways and diagonally! Now the other day it rained sideways and filled the ashtray with water and made a big pile of mess. When I cleaned it out there is a film or coating in the ashtray that won't wash off.

Has anyone else had this happen? What did you use to clean it off?

Please help me bring my ashtray back to new!!!
[Reply]
Ranger_B 10:51 AM 04-17-2011
What is your ashtray made out of?
[Reply]
Brutus2600 10:52 AM 04-17-2011
What have you used to try to clean it out? I'd start using stuff like simple green, dish soap, or even rubbing alcohol. I haven't had this happen to me, but those would be the cleaners I'd start with.

What material is the ashtray made out of?
[Reply]
Ogre 10:53 AM 04-17-2011
Need to know the material and can you post a pic???
[Reply]
GolfNut 10:53 AM 04-17-2011
Denatured alcohol can pull of most films like you describe.
[Reply]
EricF 10:54 AM 04-17-2011
It's the black ceramic Padron Ashtray.
[Reply]
Ranger_B 10:56 AM 04-17-2011
Clorox wipes of rubbing alcohol should do.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:01 AM 04-17-2011
Soap and water didn't work?
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:06 AM 04-17-2011
I leave my ashtrays out all the time and I also have to deal with a lot of rain. Mostly I just rinse them out. If they need more cleaning I use a little dish soap and a scrubbbing sponge and the ashtrays are good as new. I do this for my glass and ceramic ashtrays.
[Reply]
EricF 11:22 AM 04-17-2011
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:
Clorox wipes of rubbing alcohol should do.
Got some of it off!

Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Soap and water didn't work?
Just to get the mess off but the film was left.

Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I leave my ashtrays out all the time and I also have to deal with a lot of rain. Mostly I just rinse them out. If they need more cleaning I use a little dish soap and a scrubbbing sponge and the ashtrays are good as new. I do this for my glass and ceramic ashtrays.
It seems almost like a mineral deposit so to speak. The alchohol got some but not all. I think maybe something like C.L.R. is in order:-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 12:38 PM 04-17-2011
use the non-scratch cleaner they use on glass-top stoves.
[Reply]
EricF 01:17 PM 04-17-2011
Went and got some C.L.R. from HD and that did the trick! Took that stuff off like nothing!! My ashtray looks brand new!!!

Time to fill it up again! :-)

Thanks guys!
[Reply]
Up