Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>I need help
Humpdebump 02:53 PM 03-31-2011
Not sure what to do now. I have a new Humidor that I received from waxing moon. The seal is tight, when I first got it I kept a bowl of distiller water in it for two weeks. The humidity stayed around 68 - 70% but it took awhile to get up there. I bought an extra large heartfelt tube which I felt was enough because my Humidor is 150 ct. Needless to say my humidity is around 60 and I have the 70% tube. I decided to buy another extra large 70% tube but it's staying around the same. I'm at my wits end, I don't know if I should buy about 6 of the boveda seasoning kits and start over or what. Any help will be appreciated. I did buy the boveda hygrometer test so I know that is fine.
[Reply]
kickerb 02:55 PM 03-31-2011
maybe ask `waxing moon` first? seems like they would know best...?
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 02:56 PM 03-31-2011
I'd put a shallow dish of distilled water in the humidor with the beads and watch the hygromoter. Once you get to where you want to, RH wise, you should be able to remove the water.

Of course, it goes without saying, that unless you've salt tested your hygrometer and know it's not lying to you, all bets are off. That should be the first step in setting up a new humi - salt testing your hygro.

Good luck - N.F.H.
[Reply]
hscmit 02:59 PM 03-31-2011
I would double check that your hydro is properly calibrated
[Reply]
kickerb 03:00 PM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by Humpdebump:
...I did buy the boveda hygrometer test so I know that is fine.
is that like a salt test?
[Reply]
poker 03:02 PM 03-31-2011
most answers can be found here:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=620
[Reply]
croatan 03:03 PM 03-31-2011
I'd be happy--I prefer my cigars closer to 60% than 70% :-)
[Reply]
Humpdebump 03:12 PM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by kickerb:
is that like a salt test?
Ya, it's like the salt test
[Reply]
Humpdebump 03:14 PM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by croatan:
I'd be happy--I prefer my cigars closer to 60% than 70% :-)
I guess, I just thought that would be too dry for cigar. I'm just surprised that I have two extra large tubes that are 70 and that's what I'm reading. Unless my house is extremely dry.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 03:36 PM 03-31-2011
put the tube in a tuperware and see what hygro reading it gives.
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 03:36 PM 03-31-2011
I guess, I just thought that would be too dry for cigar. I'm just surprised that I have two extra large tubes that are 70 and that's what I'm reading. Unless my house is extremely dry.
....bingo.

When I had a desktop, the ambient RH made a huge difference. In the winter when the forced air heat would kick on, I often had to keep a little sponge humidifier wet with distilled water in the desktop to hold anything over 60%.
[Reply]
croatan 03:47 PM 03-31-2011
Not at all. Before I went to mass storage, I used to use 65% tubes in my desktop to keep it around 62%. It's all just personal preference really as far as humidity goes. And I'd encourage you (and anyone else who hasn't yet) to play around with different humidities in the 55-70 range and see if you find one you like. Cigars don't have to be kept at 70% all the time--some people, including me, find that too moist for many cigars. You may also find you like some cigars at higher RHs and others at lower RHs. You might also notice a difference between humidity from passive (beads) and active (humidifier) sources. But, regardless, the experimentation is part of the fun of the hobby--or at least I think it is.
[Reply]
galaga 04:24 PM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by croatan:
Not at all. Before I went to mass storage, I used to use 65% tubes in my desktop to keep it around 62%. It's all just personal preference really as far as humidity goes. And I'd encourage you (and anyone else who hasn't yet) to play around with different humidities in the 55-70 range and see if you find one you like. Cigars don't have to be kept at 70% all the time--some people, including me, find that too moist for many cigars. You may also find you like some cigars at higher RHs and others at lower RHs. You might also notice a difference between humidity from passive (beads) and active (humidifier) sources. But, regardless, the experimentation is part of the fun of the hobby--or at least I think it is.
:-):-) Man knows whereof he speaks. Two weeks is plenty of time to equlibrate the wood.

Also, fill it up with cigars. A full refrigerator will keep a constant temperature better, as the door is being opened all the time, than an empty one. Fill it up and after the cigars have equilibrated you will have a much more stable reading. If there is a leak, your cigars at 60% won't suffer.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:18 PM 04-01-2011
Originally Posted by galaga:
Also, fill it up with cigars. A full refrigerator will keep a constant temperature better, as the door is being opened all the time, than an empty one. Fill it up and after the cigars have equilibrated you will have a much more stable reading. If there is a leak, your cigars at 60% won't suffer.
:-) And this old dude knows what he is talking about. :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 03:15 AM 04-02-2011
I Definitely Agree With The Above Posts!:-) I Prefer 60-65 RH For All My Cigars; I've Tried Just About Every RH Over The Years. I've Had My Waxing Moon Humi For Approximately 1 Year, Now, & The RH Varies From 63-67 Depending On The Seasons Of The Year. I Always Use Boveda Seasoning Packs For 14 Days To Season My Humis & Calibrate My Hygrometer Right Before I Season. I Use A Combination Of 65 RH Boveda Packs & Shilala's Beads To Maintain RH In The Humi. Good Luck & Fill Your Humi With Cigars After The 2 Week Seasoning Period. That Will Definitely Help Maintain RH.:-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 03:13 PM 04-02-2011
Originally Posted by galaga:

Also, fill it up with cigars. Fill it up and after the cigars have equilibrated you will have a much more stable reading. If there is a leak, your cigars at 60% won't suffer.
Another bump for galaga! fill that puppy up and then let it stabalize. It will ALWAYS act differently full over empty.
[Reply]
Humpdebump 05:39 PM 04-02-2011
I have it filled prob a little more than 3/4. I put a small shot glass of distiller water with tubes and it's about 62 - 63%. thanks for all replies and help :-)
[Reply]
Patrick B 05:48 PM 04-02-2011
63 is perfect in my book. Smoke away and stop worrying! :-)
[Reply]
Up