Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Lined coolidor?
backwoods357 01:37 AM 03-28-2011
I've been thinking what would be the optimal storage solution for my needs/budget. I'm thinking I'll go with a large cooler (100+ qt) and find a Botl with a spanish cedar connection and line the interior. Not just small patches on the inside but fully covering the walls and floor with large single pieces (or several tiled pieces for shipping reasons). The insides of the cooler are rounded and slanted, so it would take a lot of careful measuring and cutting to get it right. I was thinking I would build a ~1" divider in the center (widthwise) to hold beads and have pegs or the like to support four trays near the top, two on each side, one above the other with box storage space available below. Then it would be really easy to for me to scale based on what I needed. If I had a ton of singles, put 2-3 of the trays in, more boxes just use one tray. What I'd like to know is: who has built a storage/organization system, what thickness of cedar to use, who here sells it, is it worth the effort, how would you build it to suit your needs, ect... I have a lot of time to figure this out as I have yet to fill my desktop humi.
[Reply]
CoreyD 02:00 AM 03-28-2011
This sounds great but if I did it I'd have to get another coolidor and beads and trays and then the cedar and craftsmanship costs pretty soon it costs more than just a cooler,beads and walla done put boxes in till full the end. I got 2 with beads and an Oust fan in both filled full with just boxes. Misc. singles are even in marked misc. boxes.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 02:07 AM 03-28-2011
Here you go, my friend, Ed will take care of you.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=41418
[Reply]
thecatch83 05:24 AM 03-28-2011
I just use cedar trays, and the smell is amazing! But cedar lined coolidor sounds interesting, a little overkill, but interesting nonetheless.
[Reply]
68TriShield 05:53 AM 03-28-2011
I have a pretty good supply of cedar sheets used in boxes.That's what I had in my coolers before I got a cabinet,they smelled wonderful.
LMK if you'd like some.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 07:21 AM 03-28-2011
Why line the cooler with something not needed? Yeah, it smells ok but it smells the same when the cooler has a few boxes in it.
[Reply]
Bill86 03:28 PM 03-28-2011
I'm not sure I wouldnt spend the coin to line a cooler, it's unnecessary unless you really like the smell of cedar.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:37 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
Why line the cooler with something not needed? Yeah, it smells ok but it smells the same when the cooler has a few boxes in it.
:-) Not necessary but if you feel the need go for it. Spanish cedar is available from Rockler and Woodcraft at reasonable prices. But also remember that working with SC can be hazardous, especially when sanding. :-)
[Reply]
markem 03:45 PM 03-28-2011
Sounds like a cool project. For my coolidors, I grabbed some spanish cedar 1x4s from the local craft store for spacers and kept a bunch of cedar sheets and separators out of various boxes. For my singles, I used deep cedar trays. Yours has a lot more cedar, but I preferred the flexibility of my approach.

Be sure to post pics!
[Reply]
GolfNut 03:49 PM 03-28-2011
Hey, I have a ton of scrap pieces of spanish cedar (little ones, odd sizes) if you're just after the "aroma" and a little bit of humidity recovery hold, I can send you a box full and you can dump them in the bottom of your cooler.
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 04:09 PM 03-28-2011
I may be with the minority here, but my thoughts are that lined coolers are a complete waste of valuable humidified space. Before I got my Staebell cabinet, I had five coolers up and running with nothing more than boxes and beads in them. I did use a little bubble wrap to fill air space when the coolers weren't full, but nothing more.

Store your cigars in the boxes they came in, and score some empty boxes from the local B&M for your singles. Simple as that.

JMHO - N.F.H.
[Reply]
pnoon 05:11 PM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by NotFromHere:
I may be with the minority here, but my thoughts are that lined coolers are a complete waste of valuable humidified space. Before I got my Staebell cabinet, I had five coolers up and running with nothing more than boxes and beads in them. I did use a little bubble wrap to fill air space when the coolers weren't full, but nothing more.

Store your cigars in the boxes they came in, and score some empty boxes from the local B&M for your singles. Simple as that.

JMHO - N.F.H.
I don't think you are in the minority at all.
And I happen to think you are spot on.
:-)
[Reply]
Up