Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 29 of 70
« First < 19272829 303139 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
Matt-N-Ga 07:01 PM 04-26-2011
That's awesome...Congratulations. :-)

Good luck in the next round. :-)
[Reply]
Blindjimme 09:51 AM 04-27-2011
Congratulations Gerard. You should be proud, that is a very good showing. I'll be happy if my first batch this summer is drinkable :-)
[Reply]
ODLS1 10:42 AM 04-27-2011
Congrats! I wanted to enter a bunch in NHC but at $14 per beer... no thanks. I plan to enter a bunch in a couple local comps, one being the state fair.
[Reply]
awsmith4 11:02 AM 04-27-2011
Congrats Gerard!
[Reply]
b0rderman 01:20 PM 04-27-2011
Hell yea!! A big congrats to you!

I brewed up a 'kitchen sink' stout last night...started as an outmeal-milk stout...I then added some honey and chocolate malts for unknown reasons and ended up 15pts. higher in OG @ 1.076. Very interested to see how this experiment turns out...a honey-chocolate-outmeal-milk stout....shoot, forgot the coffee! :-)
[Reply]
Salvelinus 04:30 PM 04-27-2011
Originally Posted by b0rderman:
Hell yea!! A big congrats to you!

I brewed up a 'kitchen sink' stout last night...started as an outmeal-milk stout...I then added some honey and chocolate malts for unknown reasons and ended up 15pts. higher in OG @ 1.076. Very interested to see how this experiment turns out...a honey-chocolate-outmeal-milk stout....shoot, forgot the coffee! :-)
Add it into the secondary :-)

And congrats Gerard, that is quite the homebrewing accomplishment!
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 04:40 PM 04-27-2011
I transferred my Belgian Tripel to secondary & pitched a Belgian blonde onto the yeast cake
[Reply]
kaisersozei 07:44 AM 04-28-2011
Thanks for all the positive remarks guys, I'll let you know how it advances! :-)
[Reply]
rack04 12:31 PM 04-28-2011
I will either be brewing a dry stout or irish red this weekend. This will be my 3rd all grain brew and 1st with my new brew kettle and temperature controlled fermentation freezer.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 06:08 PM 05-14-2011
Just bottled a saison, moved an IPA into secondary, and purchased a stainless fittings kit to convert my cooler into a mash tun. Tired of crappy brew in a bag efficiencies.
[Reply]
ODLS1 11:37 PM 05-14-2011
My Monolith Imperial Stout, 16.3% abv, will be kegged up tomorrow! I can't wait. This beer is AMAZING. Fresh it gives Dark Lord, my favorite beer, a run for it's money. It was pretty great, then I added vanilla beans and it took it to a whole new level. This is all from tasting it from the fermenter too. I'm sure carbonation and age will only improve it... I can only hope.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 09:54 AM 05-15-2011
Im making a stout today where I will add Dark Rum, Vanilla beans and oak cubes to secondary.
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 07:24 PM 05-15-2011
Brewed up an all grain California Common today.
Hit all my numbers perfectly.
We'll see how it turns out. My LHBS didn't have WLP 810, so I went with Safelager S-23 dry yeast and made a 1.5l starter.
I'm going to ferment it at 60 degrees for a few weeks, or until it is done.
The recipe:
Code:
BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Cleveland Steam
Brewer: Tim Lael
Asst Brewer: Rollo Tubbs
Style: California Common Beer
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal      
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.054 SG
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 38.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
10.00 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)            Grain        90.91 %       
0.50 lb       Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM)    Grain        4.55 %        
0.50 lb       Caramel Malt - 60L (Briess) (60.0 SRM)    Grain        4.55 %        
1.00 oz       Northern Brewer [10.00 %]  (45 min)       Hops         30.2 IBU      
0.50 oz       Northern Brewer [10.00 %]  (15 min)       Hops         8.2 IBU       
0.50 oz       Northern Brewer [10.00 %]  (0 min) (Aroma Hops          -            
1.00 items    Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min)          Misc                       
1 Pkgs        SafLager West European Lager (DCL Yeast #SYeast-Lager                

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 11.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 13.75 qt of water at 170.0 F    154.0 F       
10 min        Mash Out           Add 7.70 qt of water at 198.4 F     168.0 F       

Notes:
------
Steep aroma hop addition for 10 minutes while whirlpooling prior to starting chiller flow

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Reply]
kaisersozei 09:54 AM 05-25-2011
My fermenters are all empty, but I just bottled a disastrous SN Torpedo clone this weekend. Pretty much everything that could go wrong, did go wrong with this beer. 10# of malt and I couldn't reach target mash temperature, ended up adding twice as much water as I wanted, the manifold got clogged, the sparge was difficult, I boiled off more liquid than I wanted, overshot my SG by about 10 points, the primary fermentation was so vigorous that I blew off the airlock and got foamy yeast all over the laundry room, for some reason I thought dryhopping with whole cones was a good idea, ended up bottling a whopping 3.5 gallons from an original 6 gallon boil, and I was trying to create a blended yeast strain (Bell's Hopslam + WL001) but forgot to salvage some of the yeast. In twenty years, I have never had such a challenging brew.

On the positive side, it tasted pretty good going into the bottle, so we'll see what a little time does.

Shipped off my last 3 bottles of the Trappist Christmas ale to the final round of the NHC competition yesterday. Hoping for the best!
[Reply]
gvarsity 11:46 AM 05-25-2011
Did my first brew in several years. It was a partial mash Imperial Blonde Ale kit. It is happily bubbling away in the basement. I forgot how much fun and the sense of pride there is from making your own beer. Here is hoping it tastes good.
[Reply]
rack04 07:52 AM 05-26-2011
I bottled an irish red about a week ago and will be bottling a dry stout tomorrow. If everything works out I will be brewing a kolsch on Saturday. I have my 1 liter yeast starter in the fridge getting ready to decant and then I will add another 1 liter of fresh wort to step up the yeast counts.
[Reply]
cricky101 09:30 AM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by rack04:
I bottled an irish red about a week ago and will be bottling a dry stout tomorrow. If everything works out I will be brewing a kolsch on Saturday. I have my 1 liter yeast starter in the fridge getting ready to decant and then I will add another 1 liter of fresh wort to step up the yeast counts.
Nice! I'm brewing a partial-mash Irish red tomorrow on my day off
[Reply]
rack04 01:46 PM 05-26-2011
Originally Posted by cricky101:
Nice! I'm brewing a partial-mash Irish red tomorrow on my day off
I'm real excited to try it. The sample that I tasted while bottling was fantastic. To bad I have already promised to give 1/2 away.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 07:08 PM 05-26-2011
Bottled my IPA. Sitting on the porch in the rain smoking an ELO, drinking a homebrew, and watching a pale ale boil. Simple batch

10lbs two row
12oz crystal 90 for color
0.5oz of columbus at 60, 10, and 1

going to pitch it on the yeast cake from the IPA and bottle in a week I hope. This will probably be the last of my summer beers, wanted something simple to fill out the summer drinking list. Time to move on to the longer aging winter stuff.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:26 AM 06-24-2011
The first batch of "NuptiAle", a pretty basic, nondescript American ale (OG 1.045, 4% ABV, 22 IBU with Centennial + Cascade) that my boss is having me brew to serve at his daughter's wedding in September, is sitting quietly in the secondary. I have 2 more batches to brew to get the proper quantity for 120 people. Good thing it ferments quick & clean.
[Reply]
Page 29 of 70
« First < 19272829 303139 > Last »
Up