Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 4
< 123 4 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cuba visit
pnoon 08:52 PM 03-09-2012
The "little" brother I never had. :-)
mithrilG60 09:30 PM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Not too many Cubans enjoy Cuba. Very strange post.....
Actually, from what I've seen, most of the Cuban's in Cuba do enjoy Cuba. Obviously the one's who risked life and limb to flee have a different opinion, both are valid. It does bear remembering that the opinions presented about Cuba in the US are heavily influenced by both the people who fled the island and the US' Cold War history and experiences. It's not the only view point of the country or regime.

That said, I disagree with the OP that it should be left exactly as it is. It needs to modernise with or without the ending of the Embargo in order for the Cuban economy to progress. As beautiful and quaint as the time wrap to the 50's is it's also left the country unable to compete hence the reforms that Raul is now implementing. Cuba is going to go through a similar revival as Russia did after the break up of the USSR.

Originally Posted by Remo_5_0:
So, as I understand it Americans can freely travel there but we cannot spend US currency thus the embargo....so can I exchange for Candian currency and spend that? I want to go becuase they have EPIC flyfishing....and I will smoke CC's while I am doing that :-)
American's are very welcomed there, as is the USD. They do charge an extra fee for converting to CUC and no debit or credit card from a US bank is accepted so it's probably easier to travel in with another currency.
Remo 09:33 PM 03-09-2012
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:

American's are very welcomed there, as is the USD. They do charge an extra fee for converting to CUC and no debit or credit card from a US bank is accepted so it's probably easier to travel in with another currency.
Thanks, would like to go :-)
icehog3 09:53 PM 03-09-2012
Peter says this thread is on his radar.

I say my butt itches.

It means pretty much the same thing. :-)
bobarian 11:11 PM 03-09-2012
I like cheese. :-)
AlohaStyle 11:22 PM 03-09-2012
Wow, can't believe how you guys just jumped on this thread like you have. I definitely understand the OP and understand his sentiment. I agree that Cuba will forever be changed once/if the embargo is lifted as the country will be bombarded by Americans and American companies changing the country forever. I for one want to visit BEFORE the embargo is lifted for that reason alone.
Malazan 12:00 AM 03-10-2012
Man, this dudes threads are like

oooo35980 12:43 AM 03-10-2012
They are entertaining though, in a "wtf is going on?" Sort of way.
mithrilG60 01:52 AM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by AlohaStyle:
Wow, can't believe how you guys just jumped on this thread like you have. I definitely understand the OP and understand his sentiment. I agree that Cuba will forever be changed once/if the embargo is lifted as the country will be bombarded by Americans and American companies changing the country forever. I for one want to visit BEFORE the embargo is lifted for that reason alone.
It's already changing with or without the lifting of the Embargo. The Cuba that people have gone to see for years will not exist in 5 years.
massphatness 05:52 AM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by cigarsmoker2543:
Enjoy a Cuban C'GAR when U can, BUT let the CUBAN'S enjoy CUBA
ummmm ... anyone outside of these United States is free to enjoy Cuba

2.7 million tourists visited Cuba last year 50% more than visited Aruba

It would seem the world enjoys Cuba just not us (well, most of us)
hotreds 08:21 AM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I say my butt itches.

Feel better?
MarkinAZ 08:59 AM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I say my butt itches...
After reading this thread, my butt itches too. Gotta get it up off the chair and walk it outside:-)
ysr_racer 09:28 AM 03-10-2012
Beautiful place

cjhalbrooks 09:31 AM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:

Tell me you got to keep his hat lol
688sonarmen 09:33 AM 03-10-2012
DMK 02:14 PM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by cigarsmoker2543:
:-) And yes Canada was mentioned quite a bit in this thread, it's hard for me to even think that American Citizen's would even Visit let alone mention Canada in the Presence of US Solder's. I myself gave 26 yrs to Defending this great Country, and yes put myself in Harms way. please do not bring up the land of the DRAFT DODGER.

Thank YOu
:-)WTF ??
As a born and raised Canadian, you are the one who seems to be 'showing his A$$...'
smitty81 02:39 PM 03-10-2012
In all fairness though Larry, there are alot of places like that which are not under an embargo...I have stayed at resorts in the Dominican which are incredible but walk half a block away and people are living in shanty towns, same with most of Mexico, Belize and Costa Rica, I am not sure how happy the locals are but I could still say that they are beautiful places...:-)
Jamaica is a perfect example. Life seemed pretty simple in Jamaica and the people were very polite and fun to be around. (yes.....even when you didn't give them money)
smitty81 02:43 PM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:
Beautiful place

Thats looks photo shopped.
Remo 02:45 PM 03-10-2012
Originally Posted by smitty81:
Thats looks photo shopped.
Ya think? :-)
emopunker2004 03:11 PM 03-10-2012
Ya think? :-)
:-)