Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 125 of 270
« First < 2575115123124125 126127135175225 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
forgop 06:42 PM 07-11-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
What is the ratio of wood to charcoal that you are using? I find that if I use too many wood chunks, I have a harder time keeping the temp stable.
I honestly don't use that many chunks. If I use a whole 16 lb bag of Stubbs charcoal, I probably use 1 lb or less of wood-usually hickory or apple. What do you think is a good ratio of charcoal to wood?
[Reply]
wayner123 06:19 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
I honestly don't use that many chunks. If I use a whole 16 lb bag of Stubbs charcoal, I probably use 1 lb or less of wood-usually hickory or apple. What do you think is a good ratio of charcoal to wood?
That ratio is about right. Have you tried looking over at virtualweberbullet.com for an answer? To me it sounds like you may not be starting the charcoal correctly or the water pan is effecting something. But I don't have a WSM, so I am not certain.
[Reply]
forgop 06:56 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
That ratio is about right. Have you tried looking over at virtualweberbullet.com for an answer? To me it sounds like you may not be starting the charcoal correctly or the water pan is effecting something. But I don't have a WSM, so I am not certain.
I've been starting it the same way the past couple of times the way I always have. I've lighted the chimney and poured on top of the charcoal the same way I always have. I'm thinking the lower temps were mostly due to the charcoal not taking a good fire early on, but the 300+ temps are what really puzzled me. Generally before yesterday's smoke, I've generally never gone over 255.
[Reply]
thermal 08:51 AM 07-12-2011
I’ve heard I should modify my smoker. Is there a down side to smoker modifications? - This is very much a buyer beware operation.
[Reply]
ucla695 09:55 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by forgop:
I've been starting it the same way the past couple of times the way I always have. I've lighted the chimney and poured on top of the charcoal the same way I always have. I'm thinking the lower temps were mostly due to the charcoal not taking a good fire early on, but the 300+ temps are what really puzzled me. Generally before yesterday's smoke, I've generally never gone over 255.
Did you have the lid off for an extended period of time. I smoked some ribs last weekend on my 18.5" and was rock steady at 250*, but it started to shoot up after I had the lid off for 5 minutes or so. I had to shut the bottom vents to get a handle on it.
[Reply]
fxpose 01:54 PM 07-13-2011
I thinks it's good practice to shut the intake vents a good couple of minutes before removing the lid to compensate for the spike in temp.
[Reply]
OLS 02:13 PM 07-13-2011
75% of smokers could use modifications. The rest are perfect the way they are.
I guess it depends on what you have, doesn't it, Thermal?
[Reply]
Steve 03:29 PM 07-13-2011
What he said.

My ECB has been modded, as has my NBBD. I'll probbaly mod the vertical gas sausage smoker once I get around to using it a time or two.

The Lang works pretty good as she came, but I have thought about dropping the money on a Guru once or twice.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 02:17 PM 07-15-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Nice looking BBQ' everyone. Dan, those 4th of July ribs look:-)
Thanks bud, only mod want is the guru for my egg, but i think it would take some of the fun out of it, what do you guys think?
[Reply]
ucla695 02:25 PM 07-15-2011
Yeah, kinda does take the fun out of it. I'd like to have a Guru for my WSM, but I still enjoy controlling the temps manually. If time were an issue and I no longer enjoyed it, I'd get a controller in a heartbeat. Until then, I'll be tinkering with the vents.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:44 PM 07-15-2011
I have a Stoker for my Spicewine as it is nice at competitions. I like being able to get some sleep and not having to worry. I have the adapter for my BGE and have used it a couple of times. The BGE is so easy I don't even bother hooking it up any more.

On a more exciting subject... I am doing two briskets tonight. Well actually one packer and two halves of a flat from the last cow I killed that my butcher messed up. What I am really excited about though is a huge rack of beef ribs from that cow that I am going to put on tomorrow. They are about 12 inches wide and almost three inches thick at the thick end. I can't wait to chow on them!!!!
[Reply]
fxpose 06:14 PM 07-15-2011
No smoking for me this weekend. I'm building a UDS.
[Reply]
T.G 11:41 AM 07-16-2011
Originally Posted by nofeardiver:
Thanks bud, only mod want is the guru for my egg, but i think it would take some of the fun out of it, what do you guys think?
It helps to greatly reduce or even eliminate a variable that can lead to inconsistency in the cooking process from one run to the next.

The fun, at least to me, is in consistently / repeatably creating good food, not jockeying briquettes. If the cooker can do that without a controller, that's great, but if not, then there is always that option.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:57 PM 07-16-2011
Alright folks... I am don't post many pics 'cause I am lazy and I suck at taking pics. The beef ribs I cooked today are so amazing though I had to bite the bullet and break out the camera.

These are from a cow I killed a couple of months ago. I told the butcher I wanted some meaty ribs. I think he took me at my word!!!:-)

Attached:
[Reply]
OLS 06:13 PM 07-16-2011
The Bradley Smoker lays eerily silent this weekend. Nice dino bones, B-man.
[Reply]
Ender 10:37 PM 07-16-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Alright folks... I am don't post many pics 'cause I am lazy and I suck at taking pics. The beef ribs I cooked today are so amazing though I had to bite the bullet and break out the camera.
Attachment 9998

These are from a cow I killed a couple of months ago. I told the butcher I wanted some meaty ribs. I think he took me at my word!!!:-)
Darn, those make me want to be the hey-I-just-happened-to-stop-by next door neighbor to you...like mine. Smoked some more bacon explosion and bacon bursts today and took them to my favorite bar to make some people very happy. Man, those things are addictive.
[Reply]
Scothew 03:12 PM 07-17-2011
A pic from Brent?!?! Looks amazing sir!
[Reply]
forgop 09:18 PM 07-17-2011
Looks like I'm firing up 9 racks of baby backs on Tuesday. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 10:33 AM 07-18-2011
I often wonder who EATS all that stuff.
[Reply]
ucla695 07:30 AM 07-19-2011
Originally Posted by fxpose:
No smoking for me this weekend. I'm building a UDS.
Nice George! Just be sure to keep the flames low so the po-po and fire department don't show up. :-)
[Reply]
Page 125 of 270
« First < 2575115123124125 126127135175225 > Last »
Up