Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
General Discussion>Cell phone company recommendations
DPD6030 07:26 PM 02-15-2009
Come May my plan with Sprint/Nextel will be up. I do not want them again as my carrier. I'm looking at probably Verizon or AT&T as the carrier. I live in SW Michigan near the Indiana border. Anyone with advice I am willing to hear it. Pros/Cons of each. Thanks guys/gals.

Andrew
[Reply]
ucubed 07:29 PM 02-15-2009
I miss Verizon. I literally had signal EVERYWHERE I went. It's a bit more expensive, but you are paying for quality I can assure you
[Reply]
DrDubzz 07:30 PM 02-15-2009
I have AT&T and am satisfied with it. However if Verizon existed where I am, I would likely switch. I've never heard anyone complain about their verizon service
[Reply]
groogs 07:35 PM 02-15-2009
I have AT&T and never have any service problems, although that probably doesn't help you in Michigan.
[Reply]
elderboy02 07:55 PM 02-15-2009
Verizon. There are only 2 spots I can think of that I don't get signal.
[Reply]
Darrell 08:41 PM 02-15-2009
I have Verizon, I get a signal everywhere. :-)
[Reply]
TripleF 08:45 PM 02-15-2009
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I have Verizon, I get a signal everywhere. :-)
:-)

That's why I bought Verizon and that's why I have a signal when I'm in the Appalachians Mountains in North Carolina near the Blue Ridge Parkway :-)
[Reply]
BigAl_SC 08:59 PM 02-15-2009
We are on verizon and get a signal everywhere. At&t (when it was cingular) would lose signal and drop in the middle of town.... Might have gotten better in the last 5 years.

Real reason for us is the 17 family members that also have Verizon. Verizon to verizon does not take plan minutes......
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 09:05 PM 02-15-2009
I love verizon too. Even when my phone shows no service in the building I work in I can still call and text with no problems.
[Reply]
smokeyandthebandit05 09:07 PM 02-15-2009
Verizon
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/C...type=newsearch

AT&T
http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

verizon has more coverage :-)
[Reply]
chippewastud79 09:11 PM 02-15-2009
Verizon. Not just because of the cell tower service, but the customer service. I started with them mostly because of the "IN" thing, all of my family, best friends, fiance, her family, most of the people I talk to the most have Verizon, saves a ton of minutes. The people in my local store always take the time to fix or replace anything I might have a problem with. Never had to pay for phone book transfers or to get a phone replaced. New feature they now offer is that you can change plans every month if you like, and backdate plans if you happen to go over the minutes you had allotted for the month. Also, not sure who you work for, but they have a discount for a ton of companies, up to 20%+ off your bill and 50%+ off your phones and accessories based on your employers. But I am a homer I suppose :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 09:16 PM 02-15-2009
I have AT&T.....I don't recommend them.
[Reply]
Silound 10:19 PM 02-15-2009
I HAD AT&T when they merged into Cingular. Then Katrina hit, and I was without reliable cell reception or service for nearly 2 weeks before I got fed up annd moved to Verizon (who's towers and service remained in operation to far better effect than AT&T/Cingular did).

Been with Verizon now since then, and I've loved it every minute.
[Reply]
Ace$nyper 11:23 PM 02-15-2009
Never met one I liked, I'm about to dump my phone again.

I really don't like having one, and I'm paying for a headache?

I've found really more then company it's the area, I've heard oh well XYZ is great and when I hit a dead spot they did too.

So grab who's cheapest my personal thoughts. They all treat you like a dog and you can pretty much put any phone on any net work, I've found in traveling over 12 states with the 2 different phones I had provider didn't matter dead zones = dead zones.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:25 PM 02-15-2009
Originally Posted by Silound:
I HAD AT&T when they merged into Cingular. Then Katrina hit, and I was without reliable cell reception or service for nearly 2 weeks before I got fed up annd moved to Verizon (who's towers and service remained in operation to far better effect than AT&T/Cingular did).

Been with Verizon now since then, and I've loved it every minute.
I am going to look into Verizon in the very near future.
[Reply]
AD720 01:31 AM 02-16-2009
Here is another vote for Verizon.

My personal Pros/Cons

Pros:

1 - The coverage can't be beat
2 - Most of the people I talk to have Verizon (family, friends, co-workers)
3 - Overall good customer service
4 - Good selection of hardware
5 - Good online bill pay/usage information
6 - You can call Tom for free! :-)
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I am going to look into Verizon in the very near future.

Cons:

1 - Verizon cripples the hardware
2 - Have to pay for features that would come for free with other carriers (a component of Con #1)
[Reply]
icehog3 08:10 AM 02-16-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
Cons:

1 - Verizon cripples the hardware
I am not very "tech savvy", Andrew, can you explain this for me please? :-)
[Reply]
AD720 08:48 AM 02-16-2009
I am not very "tech savvy", Andrew, can you explain this for me please? :-)
Sure.

Pretty much stuff like downloading pictures directly to your computer (hence the "Pix-Place" or whatever they call it), moving audio flies from your computer to your phone, A LOT of bluetooth functions (beside basic hands free) are restricted due to Verizon not allowing OBEX bluetooth transfers, GPS limiting so you have to pay $9.99 a month to use the Verizon GPS software.

Verizon also installs their stock software on pretty much every standard phone. If you've ever seen the real Razr software, for example, compared to Verizon's software it is night and day how much smoother and nicer the stock Motorola software is.

This especially applies to the PDA type phones, but having to use Verizon's software to tether the phone with computer and share the internet connection, and paying a lot extra for a "data plan", certain file transferring and sync features are also disabled.

I think it is getting better now (being able to use a memory card to transfer media, for example) so maybe they are finally coming around.
[Reply]
icehog3 08:50 AM 02-16-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
Sure.

Pretty much stuff like downloading pictures directly to your computer (hence the "Pix-Place" or whatever they call it), moving audio flies from your computer to your phone, A LOT of bluetooth functions (beside basic hands free) are restricted due to Verizon not allowing OBEX bluetooth transfers, GPS limiting so you have to pay $9.99 a month to use the Verizon GPS software.

Verizon also installs their stock software on pretty much every standard phone. If you've ever seen the real Razr software, for example, compared to Verizon's software it is night and day how much smoother and nicer the stock Motorola software is.

This especially applies to the PDA type phones, but having to use Verizon's software to tether the phone with computer and share the internet connection, and paying a lot extra for a "data plan", certain file transferring and sync features are also disabled.

I think it is getting better now (being able to use a memory card to transfer media, for example) so maybe they are finally coming around.
Thank you Andrew....I may reach out to you for some advice when I get around to making the switch if that's OK.
[Reply]
AD720 08:52 AM 02-16-2009
Thank you Andrew....I may reach out to you for some advice when I get around to making the switch if that's OK.
I'll be here. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up