Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>A. Turrent "Triple Play" Triple Maduro
omowasu 06:31 PM 09-18-2012
Bought a couple of these on a whim - I like Maduro cigars of all kinds, and these turn up the volume by using a Maduro wrapper, binder and filler. "Puro Maduro" according to the label. Also, these are HUGE sticks in the Gran Toro size that I got - a whopping 6x60. The icing on the cake was getting these sticks for $4.10 each.

They looked great, although not quite as dark as other Maduro smokes I have had. The wrapper smelled like brown sugar.

Smoking this one was an experience in good and bad. Right off the light, it was all NC bitterness, which I cant stand and seems to be characteristic of many NC cigars. I figured I would try to power through it, and Im glad I did. After 15 minutes, the bitterness subsided significantly and flavors of cedar and leather intertwined with coffee and a background sweet note. The flavors left a pleasant, chewy aftertaste that was not at all offensive.

Other problems were present though - the smoke had a wicked tunnel burn that required a lot of touch up (they may have been overhumidifed, Ill humidor the others for a while). Also, despite the changing tastes, there was no pepper - in other words, no Vitamin N. I would have to classify this one as mild.

Im on the fence here, for the price I paid it was a decent Maduro smoke that could make for a couple hours of puffing. But I like stronger smokes and Ive had some excellent medium-strong maduros. This wasnt one of them.
Attached: ATurrnet.jpg (64.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Ogre 06:35 PM 09-18-2012
I thought it was an OK cigar. It doesnt have the flavor change up that I am used to with most maduros.
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:46 AM 09-19-2012
i really enjoy these. :-) :-)
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 10:53 AM 09-19-2012
I've had just one & I like what I got from just one re-lignt... :-)
[Reply]
maninblack 12:06 PM 09-22-2012
Have gone thru three boxes of these. Needless to say, I love them!
[Reply]
bighairlogo 01:24 PM 09-22-2012
I might have to pass on these. Thanks for the review :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:27 PM 09-22-2012
Originally Posted by bighairlogo:
I might have to pass on these. Thanks for the review :-)
If you enjoy a damn good maduro...you're making a mistake by passing on these. :-)
[Reply]
bighairlogo 02:09 PM 09-22-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
If you enjoy a damn good maduro...you're making a mistake by passing on these. :-)
i do like damn good maduros, maybe i will give this a shot then.
[Reply]
Up