Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Combining Bead Types
Padron42 10:47 PM 04-15-2016
I have 20.5 oz of HMC beads, which are working well in my 50-60 quart coolador, and also have about 8 oz of Heartfelt Beads in my desktop. I just purchased a Wineador and am planning to get rid of both of the other 2 for it. My question is, is it alright to combine the two bead types in the new larger space? I don't see why it wouldn't be, but I am no expert and can't find anyone saying it definitely is. All are 65% (I know the HCM's can be adjusted).

In addition, I'll need to add more. Just for a price standpoint would adding KL to the set up also work for additional help?

Sorry if this is addressed elsewhere, I searched but couldn't really find anything.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 11:19 PM 04-15-2016
Sounds like a solid plan! Grats on getting a wineador :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 11:40 PM 04-15-2016
Coral beads can go with pearls or jade, but the latter two don't really work together.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:02 AM 04-16-2016
I think the way you add water to the 2 types is different. So, I don't think you would want to mix them together into one container. After that, it's just dumb water vapor. Why don't you try putting them in the new 'dor in separate containers and watch over a few days or weeks? Report back - you're an experimenter now.
[Reply]
tsolomon 06:17 AM 04-16-2016
In my oldest humidor which is not very air tight, I use both beads types but in their own containers. I rewet the Heartfelt beads and that helps to keep the HCM beads steady. This is the humidor where I dry box cigars and store my plugged sticks until they hopefully draw better. :-)
[Reply]
stearns 06:40 AM 04-16-2016
Originally Posted by tsolomon:
In my oldest humidor which is not very air tight, I use both beads types but in their own containers. I rewet the Heartfelt beads and that helps to keep the HCM beads steady.
I think Tom nailed it. That being said, I would leave the KL for the kitties, you couldn't pay me to put that stuff next to my cigars
[Reply]
pnoon 08:08 AM 04-16-2016
I have both types in my Aristocrat. No problems at all.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:04 AM 04-16-2016
Originally Posted by pnoon:
I have both types in my Aristocrat. No problems at all.
Tidy Cat AND Fresh Step? :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:06 AM 04-16-2016
Originally Posted by icehog3:
:-)
[Reply]
markem 10:16 AM 04-16-2016
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Costco Clump and Costco No Clump

(to the original poster (OP): an old joke carried over from an old board. Not dissing you or beads)
[Reply]
Padron42 12:55 PM 04-16-2016
Thanks for all the responses guys, Makes sense to keep them in separate containers, and I especially like the idea of using wetting the Heartfelt as the way to recharge the HCM's. I'll report back any difficulties or hopefully successes.
[Reply]
shilala 01:04 PM 04-16-2016
Absolutely use the HF and HCM beads together,
Tsolomon nailed it.
Even when the HF beads turn to brown crumbs, they'll help keep your HCM beads steady.
The HF beads are by no means necessary, so when they get all nasty and stinky, get some new ones.
That's just my opinion, I like to keep the motor clean.
[Reply]
Padron42 09:33 PM 04-16-2016
Originally Posted by shilala:
Absolutely use the HF and HCM beads together,
Tsolomon nailed it.
Even when the HF beads turn to brown crumbs, they'll help keep your HCM beads steady.
The HF beads are by no means necessary, so when they get all nasty and stinky, get some new ones.
That's just my opinion, I like to keep the motor clean.
Thanks. Good to hear from the expert! I've got another pound and a half of heartfelts coming. Probably will throw the old heartfelts out in a few months and get another 8 Oz of hcm, as they are starting to have a faint odor.
[Reply]
Diver41 11:02 AM 06-30-2016
How did your science experiment turn out?
[Reply]
Up