Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Zippo Thunderbird Insert Review
Heavy_d 12:55 PM 09-23-2013
I've always been a fan of Zippo lighters, but when I started getting into cigars I didn't want the fluid to affect the taste of my sticks, so I went and got a Ronson Jetlite at Walmart (which I still use from time to time), but I just missed my old Zippo. Well, about a month and a half ago I found what I hoped would be the solution, a thunderbird butane insert. So I pulled the trigger, got it in and decided to give it a chance. For the past month that old Zippo with new insert has ridden in my pocket and done everything from lighting cigars, to lighting newspaper to fire up the grill to lighting firecrackers, and I gotta say, I'm loving it. I've not had any problems with it, it lights well every time. I wish the tank was a little bigger, but honestly I don't refill it any more than I would a regular Zippo with the evaporating fluid. The only real complaint I have is it's not as wind proof as a standard Zippo, but that's a trade off I'm willing to make to lose the lighter fluid taste on my cigars.
[Reply]
Robulous78 07:06 PM 09-23-2013
Appreciate the review Derek, was interested in these myself...
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:18 AM 04-13-2016
So with the zippo group buy getting ready to ship, has anyone tried any of the inserts besides this one? A lot of people posted they have them ready to go, I'm just not sure which one to get. Any reviews or info would help a whole bunch of people.
[Reply]
bonjing 08:31 AM 04-13-2016
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
So with the zippo group buy getting ready to ship, has anyone tried any of the inserts besides this one? A lot of people posted they have them ready to go, I'm just not sure which one to get. Any reviews or info would help a whole bunch of people.

I have a pair of the Blazer brand insert. I've fiddled around with it and have lit the grill and a couple of cigars with it (got yelled at for those cigars :-)). So far so good, I've not put it through major use obviously.
[Reply]
shilala 08:41 AM 04-13-2016
I have a Zippo Blue around someplace, and it worked good.
I have no idea if the insert fit in a real Zippo body.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:02 AM 04-13-2016
I ended up ordering a couple of the Vector Thunderbird inserts, they seemed to have decent reviews, I'll post up thoughts when they arrive.
[Reply]
Up