Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Bison burgers for dinner!
boonedoggle 01:20 PM 11-10-2008
Finally, ran down some ground bison. Gonna fire these on the pit tonight. If these pan out to be awesome, gonna have to find some bison steaks!
[Reply]
Darrell 01:25 PM 11-10-2008
Bison burgers are damn good enjoy. :-)
[Reply]
piperman 01:26 PM 11-10-2008
best burger I have ever had.
[Reply]
MithShrike 01:27 PM 11-10-2008
Them are good.
[Reply]
ucla695 01:31 PM 11-10-2008
I've never had one. How do they differ in taste and texture from beef?
[Reply]
TripleF 01:36 PM 11-10-2008
Never had one myself but I'm certainly jealous!!

Enjoy!!
[Reply]
croatan 01:56 PM 11-10-2008
They're very good. I get them at Central Market fairly regularly.

They're on the leaner side, so you have to be careful--they're very easy to overcook, which loses much of their flavor. A nice medium-rare, however, and they're terrific. :-)
[Reply]
livwire68 01:59 PM 11-10-2008
Made buffalo chili the other night, texture is about the same and I could not really taste a difference since it was in a chili. And as said before it is leaner so watch the cooking time, enjoy!
[Reply]
Scottw 02:36 PM 11-10-2008
Sounds awesome!! Make mine medium, I'll be over after work!!!
[Reply]
icehog3 03:36 PM 11-10-2008
I like Bison burgers (as James said, you have to cook them medium rare), but I found the Bison steaks I have tried to be tough and gamey. For steaks, I'll take a good Texas steer, thanks. :-)
[Reply]
boonedoggle 03:38 PM 11-10-2008
OMGosh! An absolute score! Seasoned with a tad of Tony Chacheries, salt, and cayenne pepper. The interesting thing is that they were totally light. For instance, when I eat a beef burger of this size, I can barely finish it without feeling super-bloated. I plowed through one of these and felt I could eat 3 more! I think the lack of fat has something to do with that. These are awesome! Highly recommended!:-)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 04:30 PM 11-10-2008
Bisons are really cool animals and some really good eating.
There's a bison farm in Brooklyn, CT that I visited last summer. They are roaming free in the fields, but they keep one in a corral for visitors to see up close. I had a handful of feed and held it out to him or her. I expected it to lick it off my hand, but instead the bison engulfed my entire hand in it's mouth and sucked the food off of it. It was kind of scary, than really yucky afterward. My hand was really stinky and wet.
The coolest thing was feeling the hair on its head. You'll never feel such a dense and spongy nest of hair. :-)
If you get the steaks make sure you cook them rare or med. rare, they will dry out very fast (because of the lack of fat). They aren't cheap so don't ruin them. They cook fast, alot faster than beef steak.
[Reply]
ucla695 05:11 PM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by croatan:
They're very good. I get them at Central Market fairly regularly.

They're on the leaner side, so you have to be careful--they're very easy to overcook, which loses much of their flavor. A nice medium-rare, however, and they're terrific. :-)
Thanks for the info. I'm going to find some and grill them up.
[Reply]
Bear 05:16 PM 11-10-2008
If you like Blue cheeses, this type of meat pairs very well with those types of flavours (especially with burgers). :-)
[Reply]
boonedoggle 06:38 PM 11-10-2008
yep, I was extremely cautious not to overcook them. Got the charcoal very hot, and didn't have to worry about the normal flare-up with beef. They were done very quickly.
[Reply]
AAlmeter 07:50 PM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by boonedoggle:
Finally, ran down some ground bison. Gonna fire these on the pit tonight. If these pan out to be awesome, gonna have to find some bison steaks!
How fast does a ground bison run?
[Reply]
Mark C 08:03 PM 11-10-2008
I had a bison steak at Charlie's in Orlando over the summer. It was good, but I think they overcooked it a tad, it was a bit on the dry side. Bison burgers are great, I'd have a hard time guessing it was bison if I wasn't looking for a different taste. There's a Bison farm in the next county over, they sell to a lot of area restaurants, they ship too: http://www.gunpowderbison.com/?gclid...FQu-Ggod_kKTsA
[Reply]
e22byrnes 08:38 PM 11-10-2008
Originally Posted by Bear:
If you like Blue cheeses, this type of meat pairs very well with those types of flavours (especially with burgers). :-)
Mmmmm. Bison bleu cheese burgers. One of my all time favorites.
[Reply]
DrDubzz 09:23 PM 11-10-2008
they sell fresh ground Bison at our grocery store (along with ribeyes I can't afford)

soo good, it's blasphemy I know, but it's better than beef
[Reply]
boonedoggle 06:07 AM 11-11-2008
Originally Posted by AAlmeter:
How fast does a ground bison run?
you wouldn't believe it if I told you...especially on bare feet! :-):-)
[Reply]
Up