Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humiditiy issue
BUCASmoker 03:34 PM 08-04-2009
So I live in Newport, which is very humid in the summer. As of 2 days ago, my humidor is at 81%, and my sticks are coming out pretty wet when it's time to light them (they lite, but theyre hard to cut since they just squish under the cutter blade).

I just recently ordered some beads from Scott, and after 2 days they still haven't brought it down much (78%).

Anything I can do? Or should I just wait out the summer?
[Reply]
Darrell 03:48 PM 08-04-2009
Originally Posted by BUCASmoker:
So I live in Newport, which is very humid in the summer. As of 2 days ago, my humidor is at 81%, and my sticks are coming out pretty wet when it's time to light them (they lite, but theyre hard to cut since they just squish under the cutter blade).

I just recently ordered some beads from Scott, and after 2 days they still haven't brought it down much (78%).

Have you considered pulling out all humidification sources and seeing if that helps?
[Reply]
Anthem 03:51 PM 08-04-2009
I keep my cigars in the basement since it's cooler than upstairs. Unfortunately, it seems to be more humid in the basement, but I picked up a dehumidifier, and I run this in the basement when I find the RH creeping up in the humidors.
[Reply]
lightning9191 03:52 PM 08-04-2009
You could make a dry box and put the cigars in there a few days to a week or more before you smoke them.
[Reply]
Prospector 03:58 PM 08-04-2009
The beads should work but humidity stabilization is not a quick process, especially if the sticks are squishy-wet as you say. Give it some more time.
[Reply]
shilala 04:26 PM 08-04-2009
Originally Posted by BUCASmoker:

Read the directions. Please.
That's why I go through all the trouble to write them, print them, and send them. :-)
[Reply]
BUCASmoker 05:06 PM 08-04-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
Read the directions. Please.
That's why I go through all the trouble to write them, print them, and send them. :-)
I read through them, I am just not sure if its the beads or something wrong with the humi... Should I wait a week like your instructions say before I start panicking?
[Reply]
ChasDen 05:53 PM 08-04-2009
I use Scott's beads and they are great. Once things get under control you will be fine. Don't panic. Like he said read the instructions for drying out the beads so they can absorb the excess moisture. I have had the same problem in the past and it can be frustrating. Scott will shoot me for what I am about to say, but if its getting way too wet too fast and you don't have any dry beads to work with you can also try some of the kitty litter beads that have been mentioned around the forums. Granted they don't work well at releasing moisture and maintaining the RH but they do do what they were intended for and that's suck up moisture. We went through a wet period last year where it rained for like 18 straight days and the RH in the house was like 100%. I used them to keep the RH down then and then removed them when the weather dried out.

Chas
[Reply]
taltos 07:04 PM 08-04-2009
You can also get some DampRid and use that to bring the humidity under control and then use Scott's beads to regulate the humidity.
[Reply]
shilala 10:02 PM 08-04-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
You can also get some DampRid and use that to bring the humidity under control and then use Scott's beads to regulate the humidity.
I've done that myself in the past, too.
Especially when I'm starting a new humi or cooler I built to pull water out of the wood and the new wet cigars.
Patience is the key.
That's what this hobby's about. It ain't a microwave world. :-)
[Reply]
BFallehy 01:03 PM 08-15-2009
That's what this hobby's about. It ain't a microwave world. :-)

So your saying I shouldn't be microwaving my cigars when they are too wet? :-)
[Reply]
The Poet 01:52 PM 08-15-2009
It ain't a microwave world. :-)
Reminds me of my days pushing papers for a yoga studio. These soccer moms would call up and basically demand we fax them karma - NOW. :-)
[Reply]
Pat1075 08:31 PM 08-15-2009
most empty boxes have scrap cedar in them if you have any laying around the house add it to the humi it will slowly absorb a little moisture. Otherwise your local B&M should have plenty
[Reply]
sofaman 04:55 AM 08-16-2009
Originally Posted by taltos:
I will 2nd the DampRid it works great :-)
[Reply]
shilala 05:22 AM 08-16-2009
Originally Posted by sofaman:
I will 2nd the DampRid it works great :-)
I'll third it, cause I have a can in my wine fridge beside my desk, and I went with sofaman to walmart to get it. :-)
[Reply]
Up