Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 83 of 270
« First < 3373818283 848593133183 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
OLS 10:57 AM 03-06-2011
nah, Steve is just making a point. That's likely an older pic. He likes cooking at night, and I would not have
had such a bad time were it not raining that night, so I went out to check and stoke only and when I had
had enough, it was coming off no matter what...the meat was done, but could have used a good char before
pulling it off that night.
I think that was pork butts.......freaking AMAZING pork butts.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 12:30 PM 03-06-2011
No pics of the prime rib... but 16 people left my house mighty full last night!!!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:40 PM 03-06-2011
And guests 17-20 passed out from meat comas. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
HK3- 12:40 PM 03-07-2011
Did some pork spare ribs on the smoker the night before last. Used a Memphis dry rub on them and they turned out well. After I pulled them off the smoker I ran them under the broiler to harden up the outer shell. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:09 PM 03-15-2011
If there is anything better than bacon it is homemade bacon.

I just pulled one half of the belly from the hog I had butchered last week. The other half will come off in about 15 minutes.

I went old school on this batch and just did a salt cure and used applewood for the smoke.

I'll be eatin'' low on the hog this weekend!!!
Attached:
[Reply]
Mr B 09:59 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Attachment 8984

I just pulled one half of the belly from the hog I had butchered last week. The other half will come off in about 15 minutes.

I went old school on this batch and just did a salt cure and used applewood for the smoke.

Right on Brent :-)
[Reply]
ucla695 10:02 AM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Attachment 8984

:-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 10:25 AM 03-16-2011
Brent, when you go new school on your bacon, what types of things do you do different? I just did two pork bellys a week and a half ago. One was my old school method of a salt/sugar cure but I used maple this time. Usually I go with applewood. The other belly I did the salt/sugar cure, but had fresh garlic cloves and dried thyme. That's very close to how I do guanciale (jowl bacon that's not smoked). I fried up some to test and can't really taste the garlic.

Just always on the lookout for new ideas.
[Reply]
rizzle 02:01 PM 03-16-2011
That looks really good, Brent. :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 03:24 PM 03-16-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Brent, when you go new school on your bacon, what types of things do you do different? Just always on the lookout for new ideas.
I just did salt... nothing else!! I love it that way. I just finished slicing it up and had to fry up a couple of scraps. Dang it is good.

I guess I never get too fancy with bacon. I usually use maple syrup or sugar in the raw, but this time I just wanted straight up bacon.

One of my favorites though is to use paprika, sugar in the raw, a good bit of cayenne pepper, and a little cumin. It sure wakes up a day!!!
[Reply]
OLS 08:43 AM 03-17-2011
Sorry I did not post last night, that looks GGGGGGGGGRRrrrreattTT! Sure beats Frosted Flakes in the morning.
[Reply]
T.G 08:56 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Sorry I did not post last night, that looks GGGGGGGGGRRrrrreattTT! Sure beats Frosted Flakes in the morning.
Plus, frosted flakes tend to fall through the grates and tar up really quickly.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:08 AM 03-17-2011
They have boneless Chuck on sale at Winn Dixie this week, so I am planning on doing one on Saturday.

I prefer the 7 bone chucks, but a sale is a sale and the taste is almost as good. I'll also be using a new rub; Plowboy's Bovine Bold.
[Reply]
cricky101 09:31 AM 03-17-2011
I picked up a couple of corned beef brisket flats on sale to give pastrami a try after the snow melts and I can find my smoker.

Never tried it before, but I love the stuff.
[Reply]
T.G 10:01 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by cricky101:
I picked up a couple of corned beef brisket flats on sale to give pastrami a try after the snow melts and I can find my smoker.

Never tried it before, but I love the stuff.
Pastrami made from commercially packed corned beef isn't bad and definitely a lot less work/time than making it yourself from a raw brisket flat. I don't know what recipe you might be planning on using, but if it's this one unless you really love salt, I would recommend a much longer soaking time. I think I doubled or tripled the soak time and I still thought it was very salty (which in turn was what prompted me to make it from scratch, so I could better control the seasonings).

Good luck, let us know how it turns out for you. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 10:29 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
They have boneless Chuck on sale at Winn Dixie this week,
UHh, I could have gone all of 2011 without being reminded that there are NO Winn Dixies near me.
Man I miss WD. When I went to Birmingham to work the World of Wheels show I passed by a few
of em. Sometimes a store is just a store...until they take it away from you.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:12 AM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
UHh, I could have gone all of 2011 without being reminded that there are NO Winn Dixies near me.
Man I miss WD. When I went to Birmingham to work the World of Wheels show I passed by a few
of em. Sometimes a store is just a store...until they take it away from you.
They also have T-Bone for $5.99 and Porterhouse for $6.99 this week too. :-):-)

However, I have never smoked a T-Bone before. Is it possible?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:04 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by wayner123:
However, I have never smoked a T-Bone before. Is it possible?
If you can find wrappers big enough, you can. :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Steve 12:08 PM 03-17-2011
Ba da bump
[Reply]
ucla695 12:14 PM 03-17-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
If you can find wrappers big enough, you can. :-):-):-)
That was my first thought. :-)
[Reply]
Page 83 of 270
« First < 3373818283 848593133183 > Last »
Up