Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Casa Magna-Overhyped and underwhelming
omowasu 10:31 AM 04-25-2009
I finally smoked one of the Casa Magna Robustos I had picked up in February - overall, I liked the stick. I wouldnt say it was a cigar of the year, but I felt it was worth the $5.50 I paid at Jack Schwartz in Chicago.

Anyway, it started out with a nice smack of pepper and spice - good start IMO, with some nice woodsy twang and just a tiny bitter aftertaste. I am not a fan of bitter cigars, and bitterness usually turns me off immediately, but this was more of a fresh-brewed coffee bitterness that was somewhat enjoyable.

Toward the middle, the pepper subsided and the solid Nicaraguan twang took over, mostly cedar and leather, great on the snork... After about the 1/2 mark, I also found more bitterness and ammonia. Cashed at the last 1/3rd.

While I liked the cigar and thought it was worth the money, I didnt like the size (6x60) - I would rather see this smoke in a smaller 5x50 or maybe even a lancero/corona. So many of these super large cigars are overkill, including this one...
[Reply]
MithShrike 11:46 AM 04-25-2009
I think the corona shape in this line is the best. The other shapes seem too airy and the flavor is much better IMO from the corona. Now, I smoked the first batch and I've smoked the second batch. I believe that the quality and consistency has gone down from the initial release.
[Reply]
yourchoice 10:29 AM 10-18-2009
I just had my first Casa Magna this morning driving home from a weekend getaway. I bought two. Unless the second is MUCH better than the first, the second will be my last. Not impressed at all.

IMHO there are various bundle smokes that are better than the one I had. LHOs are one of the first that come to mind.

:-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:00 AM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by yourchoice:
I just had my first Casa Magna this morning driving home from a weekend getaway. I bought two. Unless the second is MUCH better than the first, the second will be my last. Not impressed at all.

IMHO there are various bundle smokes that are better than the one I had. LHOs are one of the first that come to mind.

:-)
I finally got around to smoking my second one last night while watching the Wings/'Yotes game 7. Figured it had ample time to rest and improve. All I can say is, I agree with Bob...

Originally Posted by bobarian:
What a letdown.:-)
I don't plan on smoking any more of these. Not my cup of tea. Only got through half of it last night and I almost never lay down a half smoked stogie. Not good. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 11:13 AM 04-28-2010
Actually going to a Casa Magna event tomorrow evening, so I will get a chance to try the Oscuro. Unfortunately, I have heard even less positive reactions :-)about the oscuro.
[Reply]
yourchoice 01:48 PM 04-28-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Actually going to a Casa Magna event tomorrow evening, so I will get a chance to try the Oscuro.
Well, then it was an interestingly timely thread bump. :-) Let us know what you think of them.
[Reply]
kelmac07 01:58 PM 04-28-2010
I didn't care for this either. Now the Oscuro version, that is a different story...very tasty!!! :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up