Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva Series V - Lancero
covetry 07:23 PM 11-09-2009

Wrapper: Habano Sun Grown
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Jalapa Valley Ligero

This is one of my favorite vitolas, and this one is perfectly constructed, triple capped. Nice and firm. The wrapper feels toothy and smells of dark chocolate and coffee. It really smells fantastic. The wrapper almost looks like it was taken from the Padron reserves. It is really that rich and dark and flawless. Pre-light draw tastes of cocoa and nuts.

Easily lights up and right off the bat I get a subtle sweetness off the rich tobacco flavor. Good helping of cedar and wood shows up here in the first third. By the second third, the sweetness fades out and the cedar and wood seem to over take the smoke. I wouldn’t call this leathery, but I suspect some of you might pick up leather components to this. There is also a hint of spice on the back palate.

By the final third this cigar was starting to disappoint. The cedar and wood flavors developed a bitter edge and the smoke was getting very warm in the mouth. I put this cigar down just before it would have burned past the band. It’s almost as if the cigar started off with the best flavors and then slowly degraded every one of them. I was really digging the taste of this cigar in the first third. Too bad it just couldn’t keep it up.

If you like cedar/wood flavors and for some reason like a little bitter edge too it, this is the cigar for you. It is not, however, the cigar for me.

[Reply]
shvictor 08:45 PM 11-09-2009
Thanks for the review..This is my one of my fav cigars
[Reply]
covetry 08:51 PM 11-09-2009
My pleasure.
[Reply]
papajohn67 09:35 PM 11-09-2009
Nice cigar & review. Cigar Monster recently had these up for under $100 a box shipped. Heck of a deal!!
[Reply]
roughrider 09:56 PM 11-09-2009
A great stick. Thanks for the review.
[Reply]
Trex 11:46 PM 11-09-2009
Thanks for the review :-) I would love to open an box of Lancero up but that won't be sometime since i still have an Half box of V belicoso and an unopen V Figurado to go through:-)
[Reply]
JE3146 01:38 AM 11-10-2009
Am I seeing things or are the last 2 pics the same one?

Nice review though. :-)
[Reply]
dunng 05:25 AM 11-10-2009
Thanks for the review, these never let me down! :-)
[Reply]
tobii3 06:30 AM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by papajohn67:
Cigar Monster recently had these up for under $100 a box shipped. Heck of a deal!!
Oh just RUB IT IN!!!

*&%#@#$%^&!!!!!!!!!

:-)
[Reply]
covetry 07:02 AM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by JE3146:
Am I seeing things or are the last 2 pics the same one?

Nice review though. :-)
Your right. My screw up. Fixing now.
[Reply]
covetry 07:04 AM 11-10-2009
Here's the other pic that didn't make it for some reason...

[Reply]
Wanger 07:14 AM 11-10-2009
Originally Posted by papajohn67:
Nice cigar & review. Cigar Monster recently had these up for under $100 a box shipped. Heck of a deal!!
Gawd dammit!!!!! I'm a known lancero whore, and no-one passed this info on to me. :-)
[Reply]
Whipper Snapper 10:12 AM 04-22-2010
Simply one of the best nc cigars for the money.
Heck, maybe one of the best nc cigars period.

Like this stick a lot.
[Reply]
SouthernSmoke 10:23 AM 04-22-2010
Agreed. One of my favorite sticks/vitolas. NC tobacco doesn't get much better than this
[Reply]
Up