Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
General Discussion>Guess school paid off...
JE3146 01:45 AM 12-21-2009
Last christmas the entire family came in to town to my parent's house, which included a couple of cousins that seem to not have respect for other people's property.

Needless to say they broke a lamp shade, a garbage can, and last but not least, my parents above-range microwave by slamming the door so hard the door broke and the screen went dead. (my dad's original guess was a plug that got disconnected, but they were all seated fine)

This thing has been sitting in its place for a year with a 'temporary' microwave on the countertop. But with the economy(reduced hours), the wedding, and misc expenses, they just never got around to replacing this broken microwave.

Got bored tonight and tore into it after my parents went to bed. Guess my schooling paid off. Found the faulty component.. fixed it.. plugged the circuit boards back together, replaced the fuse and with a little hot glue and an old light switch plate cover cut down to size was able to jerry rig a holder to replace the plastic tab that broke off that held the internal door latch in place.

Put the door back together... plugged her in...

Thing turned on like normal. Set the clock and stuck in a cup of water. Couple minutes later it was boiling.

Fixed it :-)

Not much else to this thread. I was just kind of excited. Normally I'm the one taking things apart and then they never work again :-) :-)

I stuck a bow and a note on the door for them to find tomorrow morning when they wake up for work. Me on the other hand. I'm sleeping in.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 01:52 AM 12-21-2009
Nice. What did you go to school for?
[Reply]
GreekGodX 02:11 AM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by mariogolbee:
Microwave restoring :-)
[Reply]
JE3146 02:32 AM 12-21-2009
Computer Engineering

Still 2 quarters to go till my degree.. but so far so good I guess :-)
[Reply]
TFULLERY 03:25 AM 12-21-2009
Why does every family have that one cousin?:-)
[Reply]
68TriShield 05:23 AM 12-21-2009
Don't invite the smash cousins again :-)
[Reply]
Ranger_B 05:24 AM 12-21-2009
Great job, what a good little engineering elf you are.
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:33 AM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
:-) :-)

Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
Don't invite the smash cousins again :-)
+1 :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:05 AM 12-21-2009
You should celebrate your achievemet with a cigar !:-)
[Reply]
JaKaacH 07:10 AM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
You should celebrate your achievemet with a cigar !:-)
And a ICE COLD Miller Lite :-)
[Reply]
shilala 07:19 AM 12-21-2009
That's good stuff, Jordan.
That's pretty much what I do for a living. :-)
Be careful, it'll take over your mind. Then you'll wish you went to school to learn how to drink beer and make coffee. :-)
I can make excellent coffee, too, by the way. :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:01 AM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
:-):-)
[Reply]
JaKaacH 08:13 AM 12-21-2009
Maybe someday Apple will make a IMacrowave.:-)
[Reply]
Neuromancer 08:24 AM 12-21-2009
No intention to burst your bubble, and my info my be out of date, but I used to hold a FCC General Radiotelephone License with a Ship's Radar Endorsement...unless they made changes I don't know about don't you need to hold a class II technician's license to repair microwave ovens? Furthermore do you have a meter that checks for microwave leakage? Given the fact that you jury-rigged the door locking mechanism if the seal is not good you may be leaking microwave energy and that's not good at all...dunno what type of computer engineering schooling you're referring to, so if you already know all of this please feel free to ignore me...:-)
[Reply]
tobii3 08:30 AM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by TFULLERY:
Ours is named Paul. He's my Aunt Judy's son. Gives new meaning to the term "Oxygen Thief"
[Reply]
icehog3 08:41 AM 12-21-2009
Well done, Jordan! :-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 08:43 AM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by Neuromancer:
No intention to burst your bubble, and my info my be out of date, but I used to hold a FCC General Radiotelephone License with a Ship's Radar Endorsement...unless they made changes I don't know about don't you need to hold a class II technician's license to repair microwave ovens? Furthermore do you have a meter that checks for microwave leakage? Given the fact that you jury-rigged the door locking mechanism if the seal is not good you may be leaking microwave energy and that's not good at all...dunno what type of computer engineering schooling you're referring to, so if you already know all of this please feel free to ignore me...:-)
Is it jury-rigged? I thought it was jerry-rigged? :-)
[Reply]
cricky101 08:44 AM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by TFULLERY:
And if you don't think you do, YOU are that cousin. :-)
[Reply]
Neuromancer 08:46 AM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Caught me...:-)
[Reply]
Mugen910 09:00 AM 12-21-2009
Originally Posted by Mugen910:
Originally Posted by Neuromancer:
Caught me...:-)
i wasn't trying to catch you..I just wasn't sure.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up