Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Keychain punch
Razorhog 12:13 PM 06-21-2011
I was thinking of getting a keychain punch instead of taking my Palio to the golf course. I've never used a punch and would like advice on a decent one. I've noticed that some of the Xikar punches say "twist" in the name - what does that mean?
[Reply]
awsmith4 12:56 PM 06-21-2011
The Xikar 009 is a great punch. It is bigger than the standard punch but the best part is it is one piece so you have no parts to lose.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 01:17 PM 06-21-2011
Originally Posted by awsmith4:
The Xikar 009 is a great punch. It is bigger than the standard punch but the best part is it is one piece so you have no parts to lose.
That is a good point, I have a cheap keychain punch that seperates in the middle to expose the cutter end. I leave my keys behind so I do not have to carry them outside while I smoke. It is easy to drop the cutter end into a pocket after using it and forget to attach it back to my keys when finished.

On the other hand now that I think about it, I wouldn't want to carry all my keys out everytime so maybe I do prefer the detachable punch.

Kind of a win/lose situation for me. Like everything else I'm learning, comes down to personal prefference.
[Reply]
Bill86 01:27 PM 06-21-2011
I have both the 009 and 007. I like the 009. I use it for 37 rg lanceros - 54 rg gauge Behikes.

In fact I own 2 of them.

+1 to the 009

Watch cigar monster at night when the mashup is on (10pm or 11pm depends on your time zone) and they often have these for $19-$21 shipped.
[Reply]
Razorhog 08:35 PM 06-21-2011
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to find a 009. I like the looks of the 007 too, but I think the 9mm will be more versatile.
[Reply]
Razorhog 08:53 PM 06-21-2011
This one is really cheap, I wonder if the quality is low.

http://www.littlehavanacigars.com/pr...?prod=CC1201DE
[Reply]
thebayratt 09:06 PM 06-21-2011
I have a 007. I had to send it back after a few months. It quit twisting....
The 009 is what I would go with. The push-pull seems more reliable.

Here is the kicker to me. I have a $12 "Havana" retractable (push button) punch I got from a B&M and it seems to be sharper than my Zikar!! It has no warranty, but it was half the cost and seems to punch easier.

$16 here: http://www.cigartoyz.com/_e/CIGAR_PU...igar_Punch.htm
[Reply]
Razorhog 09:55 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by thebayratt:
I have a 007. I had to send it back after a few months. It quit twisting....
The 009 is what I would go with. The push-pull seems more reliable.

Here is the kicker to me. I have a $12 "Havana" retractable (push button) punch I got from a B&M and it seems to be sharper than my Zikar!! It has no warranty, but it was half the cost and seems to punch easier.

$16 here: http://www.cigartoyz.com/_e/CIGAR_PU...igar_Punch.htm
Thanks for the info and link. I wonder if Xikar would replace yours because a generic punch is sharper?
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:59 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by Razorhog:
This one is really cheap, I wonder if the quality is low.

http://www.littlehavanacigars.com/pr...?prod=CC1201DE
i have that one. its nothing special but it works. PM me your address, i have a couple of the ones they sell on cigarbid that i dont need i can send to you.
[Reply]
Razorhog 12:08 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
i have that one. its nothing special but it works. PM me your address, i have a couple of the ones they sell on cigarbid that i dont need i can send to you.
That is very generous, I appreciate it! PM incoming. :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:12 PM 06-22-2011
I am very impressed with the generousity of the regulars here at the Asylum. I have been on "community" forums before but you guys take the cake!
[Reply]
nofeardiver 12:25 PM 06-22-2011
i just won the nub punch that came in the gift set, i would have to say i was ever a punch guy i love my palio, but man after using the nub punch it is great... i might have to get one of the 009 for the smaller ring guage cigars...
[Reply]
big a 01:35 PM 06-22-2011
Very nice :-) I have a couple of those also and they work just fine for me. I would like to pick up 009 when funds allow though.
[Reply]
Razorhog 03:37 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I am very impressed with the generousity of the regulars here at the Asylum. I have been on "community" forums before but you guys take the cake!
No doubt! :-)
[Reply]
LostAbbott 03:53 PM 06-22-2011
Anyone know of one that would work well as a beer bottle cap opener as well? I would love to have a duel function gadget like that on my key chain.
[Reply]
Razorhog 04:27 PM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by LostAbbott:
Anyone know of one that would work well as a beer bottle cap opener as well? I would love to have a duel function gadget like that on my key chain.
I like the way you think. Check this out: http://www.xikar.com/cutters_ximtx.asp
[Reply]
Razorhog 04:34 PM 06-22-2011
Hmm, now that I think about it, I need a torch lighter with a punch and bottle opener...
[Reply]
LostAbbott 05:11 PM 06-22-2011
I like the way you think. Check this out: http://www.xikar.com/cutters_ximtx.asp
Never been a fan of the scissors. It is a step in the right direction though. I am thinking it would be pretty easy to do a punch and bottle opener combo. maybe we can get Palio on it.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 05:52 PM 06-22-2011
That would be sweet
[Reply]
bvilchez 06:12 PM 06-22-2011
Hmm, now that I think about it, I need a torch lighter with a punch and bottle opener...
If you're looking for Xikar products let me know.:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up