Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Smoking Room Ventilation
05venturer 09:55 PM 01-21-2017
Hey inmates,
We are closing on our house next week and I am looking for recommendations for a reasonable room ventilation for my new smoking room.
Room is 12x12 with 8ft ceilings and false ceiling. I was leaning towards a high cfm bathroom fan but wondering if any of you have any better ideas you may have used?
[Reply]
Flynnster 10:43 PM 01-21-2017
No direct experience with smoking ventilation, but from a kitchen perspective I have some. If possible, put a high powered fan on the outside of the house. This will greatly reduce noise, and generally leads to more efficient "sucking" for lack of a better term.

I'm assuming this concept would stand with cigar smoke, as it comes from cooking smoke.
[Reply]
Ogre 10:49 PM 01-21-2017
Have used this window fan with great success. Available at Lowe's and home depot. The best part is that it doesn't require any modifications to walls.

[Reply]
icehog3 10:56 PM 01-21-2017
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Have used this window fan with great success. Available at Lowe's and home depot. The best part is that it doesn't require any modifications to walls.
And it's HUGE!!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:57 PM 01-21-2017
Originally Posted by icehog3:
And it's YUUUUUUGE!!
fixed it for you

[Reply]
icehog3 10:59 PM 01-21-2017
Sorry for our hijack, Kent. :-)

[Reply]
05venturer 07:28 AM 01-22-2017
Originally Posted by Ogre:

That is what I currently use in my room in this house but in the new place the smoking room is on basement level so that isn't really an option.
P.S. Mine is not that HUGE :-)
[Reply]
SteveH 09:54 AM 01-26-2017
My suggestion would be something more on the lines of this - you want all the CFMs you can get - and as quiet as possible:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-Steve
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:33 AM 01-26-2017
I use the window fan as well. For those who have seen it; it's a hoot... Maybe they'll respond?
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:38 PM 01-26-2017
A little more sophisticated is a heat recovery ventilator. This pulls air in as it blows the smoke out. It reduces the energy you lose by blowing heated/cooled air outside. The link below is one example.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-A...ipNhoCuEfw_wcB
[Reply]
Havanaaddict 08:17 PM 01-26-2017
Here is a little light reading for you!!!:-)
http://ryandeyer.com/cigar-room/

P.S. A bathroom will not do anything if you want to remove a lot of smoke.
I have a vent in my home lounge that has 1150 CFMs:-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:34 AM 01-27-2017
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
A little more sophisticated is a heat recovery ventilator. This pulls air in as it blows the smoke out. It reduces the energy you lose by blowing heated/cooled air outside. The link below is one example.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-A...ipNhoCuEfw_wcB
That's cool. Where does that plug into? Where the HVAC is? I am interested in this.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 04:09 PM 01-27-2017
It's really meant to be built in, like a ceiling fan. Different models are, well, different and you need to check the specs. This one is 120 V, .7 A, so it could probably be added to most household circuits depending on how much load there already is on the circuit breaker.

I would emphasize the advice above that you need a lot of CFMs to control smoke while you are smoking. The best thing is to choose the number of air changes per hour you want and that leads to the CFM. If you just want something that helps a little bit, then a window fan or the like is sufficient. You always want more air flowing no to the outside because this will keep smoke from migrating into the rest of the house.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 07:35 AM 01-28-2017
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
It's really meant to be built in, like a ceiling fan. Different models are, well, different and you need to check the specs. This one is 120 V, .7 A, so it could probably be added to most household circuits depending on how much load there already is on the circuit breaker.
I live in a 2 level house. Living room is on the first floor. If I put this into the living room, do I need to duct it outside? I currently have a ceiling fan, but don't mind putting this in as well.

The window fan works great, but this looks even better, to help out after the cigars ,or when there's like 4 people smoking cigars and window fan can only do so much.

I do close the floor vents when I smoke. It help keep the smoke from circulating around the whole house...
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 07:42 AM 01-28-2017
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
I live in a 2 level house. Living room is on the first floor. If I put this into the living room, do I need to duct it outside? I currently have a ceiling fan, but don't mind putting this in as well.
Yes, a unit like this has two ducts to the out of doors. One exhausts dirty air and the other pulls in outside air. The two airflows exchange heat so you don't lose so much (and, you get true fresh air in the house)

I'm adding a link to an explanation: http://www.broan.com/products/lifest...1-98542b29a2d0
[Reply]
Up