Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>C.A.O. Tony Soprano
Don Fernando 09:42 AM 08-23-2010
When I joined the late Club Stogie I got a private message from Eric, owner of Kioki Cigars, asking me for my address for a welcome package. I didn't know anything about bombs and gave my address. Eric bombed the **** out of me and included in his bomb was this limited edition CAO Tony Soprano. Now I am not a CAO fan, but I am a Soprano fan so I was looking forward to this 6½x60 monster. And I read comments from other CAO haters that they liked both this and the La Traviata. I like the La Traviata too, so I hoped I would like this puppy too.

The cigar looks great, a dark oily wrapper with just a few veins and three stylish band. The CAO band is nice with two thin bands on the big logo, then there is a band with the signature of Tony Soprano and the foot is protected by another big band which says "limited edition". The construction feels good. The predraw doesn't give me any problems and tastes like raisin. I smell a barnyard aroma on the cigar.

I taste a mild to medium coffee flavor and after an inch and a half the flavor changes to earth.

Halfway the cigar gets a bit sweet and after ⅔ I can also taste some wood. Such a big cigar, so little taste and development in flavors.

I wasted two good hours of my life on this very flat cigar. The draw is good but I only got a poor amount of thin smoke. The ash is light colored and firm. The burn of this mild to medium bodied and mild to medium flavored cigar is good.

Would I buy this cigar again? Hell no. I loved the series, I hate the cigars

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 5 / 10
Aroma first part: 5 / 10
Aroma second part: 5 / 10
Aroma third part: 6 / 10
[Reply]
Brutus2600 09:52 AM 08-23-2010
Thanks for the review! I've yet to try any of the series myself, but have heard the Soldier (I think?) was the only good one, although that none of them were worth the price.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 10:04 AM 08-23-2010
So this was bombed to you when you first joined CS? How long has the cigar been sitting in your humi?
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:26 AM 08-23-2010
little over 3 years MJ
[Reply]
icantbejon 10:31 AM 08-23-2010
I would tend to agree that this line is very over priced for what you get. It's gimmicky...and I guess that has worked for them as people keep buying them. I have the LE Tony sitting in my humi as well, but I don't know that I'll smoke it. I've had a few of the other sticks in this line and never been blown away. They are OK...and that's all I'd give them.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:39 PM 08-23-2010
Nice review brother...sorry you didn't enjoy it.
[Reply]
Mr B 04:15 PM 08-23-2010
Halfway the cigar gets a bit sweet and after ⅔ I can also taste some wood. Such a big cigar, so little taste and development in flavors

This is exactly how I felt about this cigar. The flavors up front were nice but they never changed.
Maybe this would be better in a Petite Corona / Parhana size. But all they made were Robusto or larger.

Oh well. On to the next one. :-)
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 08:40 AM 08-24-2010
typical CAO, all sizzle, no steak. but thanks for the review, ferdie.
[Reply]
Powers 08:53 AM 08-24-2010
Thanks for the review ferd! I've got a regular release CAO Sopranos in the humi that I'm gonna smoke while watching an episode (The Blue Comet), that way if it sucks I can still have some Sopranos enjoyment :-)
[Reply]
Ferrari5180 07:29 PM 09-21-2010
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski:
typical CAO, all sizzle, no steak. but thanks for the review, ferdie.
Personally, all the CAO's that I have tried I liked, which are the MX2, Brazilia, Italia and L'Anniversaire Cameroon. One person's garbage is another's gold. I have not tried the Soprano yet, but with my personal experiences with CAO, I would give this a go.
[Reply]
Up