Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
All Cigar Discussion>Back porch in the winter
babybob2k 03:57 PM 11-18-2010
It's starting to get a little chilly here in the evenings, and I'm exiled to the back porch when I go to light up.

So, for the others that are in this same situation -

Propane patio heater or chiminea, and why is your choice better than the other?

Thanks for the advice.
[Reply]
DropTheE 04:01 PM 11-18-2010
Both are probably good, another option is a UFO infrared if you have the coin. Those things pump the heat to a cold pair of hands. Multiple settings, the one with the remote is just a waste of cash. If you can find them at the hardware joint....249.00-269.00 ish. I tried a propane heater and the only thing is that it seemed like I was always filling up the tank. I tried a kerosene blower and fumed myself into oblivion!! Threw off the taste of the cigars!!
[Reply]
Brutus2600 04:04 PM 11-18-2010
Kind of in the same situation. I have a back porch that I don't want to close in with permanent means, but I want to get some clear plastic/canvas edged siding to put around the porch (kind of like the flying saucer downtown if you've ever been). That way I could put some kind heater in there and there might be a little bit of heat retention and less wind.

Also, anybody have any idea what those would be called so I could search for a place that sells them? lol :-) (sorry to potentially threadjack)
[Reply]
J0eybb 04:40 PM 11-18-2010
Tarps and a heater.

An easy-up with the zippered side can work very well. It will block the wind and keep in some of the heat.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 05:24 PM 11-18-2010
Brief smokes
[Reply]
J0eybb 05:25 PM 11-18-2010
Smoke briefs?
[Reply]
babybob2k 05:30 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
sorry to potentially threadjack
Not at all. Any info on keeping warm is great. Besides, my porch is set up perfectly for those, and they'd make the dog happy, too. :-)

I'm hoping to get something knocked out before it's too late, but that deadline's closing in quick from what I felt the past few evenings.
[Reply]
Bill86 05:40 PM 11-18-2010
I live in TN so I just put on a light jacket and choose a 30-45 minute smoke. Or a leather jacket and smoke whatever I want.
[Reply]
ujponds 05:56 PM 11-18-2010
After dinner I get it burning on my patio. It's raised off of the ground so it can be used on a deck too. I also have a chiminea and have found them to be too much work while I'm trying to enjoy a smoke.
[Reply]
md4958 05:57 PM 11-18-2010
I use a propane heater up here in chilly New England. I have a 3 burner, and a two burner. I'll use them on the back deck till it gets too cold, and then smoke in the garage (they come in handy there too).

A chimnea might be nice, but for a quick smoke it would probably be a pain to get it going.
[Reply]
CoreyD 07:37 PM 11-18-2010
I'm starting to go for rides in the car...
[Reply]
babybob2k 08:32 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
A chimnea might be nice, but for a quick smoke it would probably be a pain to get it going.
Originally Posted by ujponds:
I also have a chiminea and have found them to be too much work while I'm trying to enjoy a smoke.
That's kinda what I was thinking about the chiminea, but wasn't sure.

Originally Posted by md4958:
I use a propane heater up here in chilly New England. I have a 3 burner, and a two burner. I'll use them on the back deck till it gets too cold, and then smoke in the garage (they come in handy there too).
Are those the ones that attach directly to the tank? How do those work in open air? Or, would the porch need to have a wind block like Brutus2600 was talking about?
[Reply]
md4958 08:40 PM 11-18-2010
Originally Posted by babybob2k:

Are those the ones that attach directly to the tank? How do those work in open air? Or, would the porch need to have a wind block like Brutus2600 was talking about?
Well, I use it on my back deck, and while its somewhat protected I would say the heater does a decent job at radiating heat. If its that windy, ill smoke in the garage.
[Reply]
JJG 09:13 PM 11-18-2010
As a lifetime resident of Houston TX, I rarely get to brag about the weather, but it is nice to never worry about freezing my a$$ off while smoking a cigar.

The downside might be worse though. Suffering 100% humidity in +100 degree weather during the summer is also damn near unbearable.
[Reply]
forgop 07:35 AM 11-19-2010
I'm thinking about this issue as well. I have a screened porch and it's downright cold now if I want to smoke a cigar out there. I don't want the mess/smell of a propane type of heater. I don't really want an exposed flame. I wonder if an electric fireplace would do well in this type of situation?
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:44 AM 11-19-2010
I have two different propane heaters (one high and one low :-)). The first is a Mr Heater:

Then I also have a more traditional propane heater from Costco:

The tanks last me about 6 weeks or so with regular use. My deck is not covered so I use an outdoor umbrella to keep the rain off of me and in this case I only use the Mr. Heater.
[Reply]
BloodSpite 07:58 AM 11-19-2010
Oil radiator heater or a fire pot.

The radiant heater isnt bad if you just sit beside it. No flames or smoke either an no noise to speak of. Works best when its just a tad chilly.

The fire pot I light up when its cold as taters.
[Reply]
357 08:18 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I have two different propane heaters (one high and one low :-)). The first is a Mr Heater:

Then I also have a more traditional propane heater from Costco:

The tanks last me about 6 weeks or so with regular use. My deck is not covered so I use an outdoor umbrella to keep the rain off of me and in this case I only use the Mr. Heater.
This is good advice. I've been in the DFW area during the holidays and it doesn't get THAT cold. I know it's all relative, but one of the propane tank heaters should be more than enough. They work well in both open air and in porches or garages. You do need some ventilation, but not nearly like the old kerosene heaters. Some half finger gloves might be a good pickup too.
[Reply]
jkstewart1 08:20 AM 11-19-2010
Been pondering the same issue myself. Might just have to insulate the garage and add some kind of air exchange system. If I can find a quick and dirty system, so much the better. I'm surprised the radiant heaters keep anyone warm enough in the open air, but I never have tried them.
[Reply]
357 08:27 AM 11-19-2010
Originally Posted by jkstewart1:
Been pondering the same issue myself. Might just have to insulate the garage and add some kind of air exchange system. If I can find a quick and dirty system, so much the better. I'm surprised the radiant heaters keep anyone warm enough in the open air, but I never have tried them.
I know ozone air purifiers have had some bad press, but they do a good job of killing smoke smell in rooms and on objects. If my garage was my only refuge, I would insulate, propane tank jeater (they are like $20-$30 I think), and put in an ozone air purifier if you're worried about smoke smell. If you're only going to be in the garage for one smoke, you might not even need to ventilate. More than one, I would crack the door at least.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 3
1 23 >
Up