Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 133 of 138
« First < 3383123131132133 134135 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
Dux 03:20 PM 08-09-2016
Originally Posted by HailTheBrownLeaf:
So my new Western Caliber IV hygrometer that I just got yesterday has now been sitting in the Boveda calibration pack for 24 hours exactly.

It's currently reading at 29 degrees Celcius and 77%

Should I leave it in the calibration bag for another 12 hours as the calibration kit says to leave the hygrometer in there anywhere from 24-36 hours.
There should be a button to switch between Celsius & Fahrenheit

If the Hydro has been in the bag for 48 Hrs the you can assume it's
calibrated. Just remember to -7 from the reading when checking humidity.
Unless you have the ability to adjust it.
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 06:17 PM 08-09-2016
Originally Posted by Dave128:
No idea what that Celsius thing is that you speak of, but if it's in a Fahrenheit range that you like I think you're GTG. Also, it wouldn't hurt to leave it in the bag for another day or so.
We Canadians use Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.
[Reply]
Dave128 09:19 PM 08-09-2016
We Canadians use Celsius instead of Fahrenheit.
I know. I was just being a sarcastic American.
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 03:47 AM 08-11-2016
Originally Posted by Dave128:
I know. I was just being a sarcastic American.
Noted. Although sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internetz.

How many of you wipe down your Spanish cedar trays with a cloth (I.E. to get rid of dust or sawdust etc.) before seasoning??? As I just realized that I didn't do this and my trays are busy seasoning for their 3rd day.

Should I be concerned??
[Reply]
T.G 07:09 AM 08-11-2016
Noted. Although sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internetz.

How many of you wipe down your Spanish cedar trays with a cloth (I.E. to get rid of dust or sawdust etc.) before seasoning??? As I just realized that I didn't do this and my trays are busy seasoning for their 3rd day.

Should I be concerned??
The wipe down is so that you aren't smoking the cedar dust, you can go ahead and do it at any time.
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 09:17 PM 08-12-2016
Originally Posted by T.G:
The wipe down is so that you aren't smoking the cedar dust, you can go ahead and do it at any time.
Perfect.

What should I use to wipe the tray down with?? Does the thing need to be wet or dry??

Anyways my initial question was since I'm sure that by tomorrow afternoon my trays will be seasoned...I'm assuming that when I add my hygrometer in there (to see if it maintains a constant humidity before adding my sticks) that I can also add my 65% Bovedas in there then as well when I put my hygro in???
[Reply]
T.G 10:41 PM 08-12-2016
Perfect.

What should I use to wipe the tray down with?? Does the thing need to be wet or dry??

Anyways my initial question was since I'm sure that by tomorrow afternoon my trays will be seasoned...I'm assuming that when I add my hygrometer in there (to see if it maintains a constant humidity before adding my sticks) that I can also add my 65% Bovedas in there then as well when I put my hygro in???
No different to wipe the trays than how one would wipe up sawdust, or just dust, in any other situation. A very lightly dampened cloth, flipped/folded often so that you are using a clean side most of the time, and that's about it.

I have no idea how long it will take your trays to season, too many variables. I would put the hygrometer in and see what it reads, see if you need more time. Add the Bovedia packs at the same time as the cigars. :-)
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 01:00 AM 08-13-2016
No different to wipe the trays than how one would wipe up sawdust, or just dust, in any other situation. A very lightly dampened cloth, flipped/folded often so that you are using a clean side most of the time, and that's about it.

I have no idea how long it will take your trays to season, too many variables. I would put the hygrometer in and see what it reads, see if you need more time. Add the Bovedia packs at the same time as the cigars. :-)
Would using one of those Swiffer duster thingies work?
[Reply]
T.G 03:25 AM 08-13-2016
I don't really know what is on those, but I would be concerned that it might introduce perfumes and other chemicals. I'd stick to a clean cloth moistened with water.
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 05:55 AM 08-13-2016
I don't really know what is on those, but I would be concerned that it might introduce perfumes and other chemicals. I'd stick to a clean cloth moistened with water.
Regular or distilled?

Anyways, about 10-15 minutes ago I finally removed my sponge on a plate and tossed my hygrometer in my Tuppador to see if my trays are fully seasoned now.

Right now I'm sitting at 72% RH although it was 68% when I put the hygro in there initially.

How long should I monitor my RH levels before adding my cigars and 65% Bovedas??
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 06:30 AM 08-13-2016
And at what RH level will I know that my Tupperdor is ready??

It's at 74% RH now.
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:05 AM 08-13-2016
A seasoned humidor should hold a steady RH for at least 24 hours, preferably 48 hours before adding your cigars.
[Reply]
T.G 08:06 AM 08-13-2016
Being plastic tupperware, ti's probably fine now. Once you add your cigars and boveda packs, give it a week to stabilize.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:53 AM 08-13-2016
To answer an earlier question, always use distilled water for everything.
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 02:17 PM 09-09-2016
Due to another ridiculously high heatwave here in Kitchener, my poor 7L Klip-It tupperdor was sitting at like 85F according to my hygrometer yesterday despite being at 65% RH.

Now I know 85F is insanely hot for my tupperdor and my sticks and I needed to cool it down. Worst of all, I live in an apartment with no A/C as I've said before.

So based on the advice from another BOTL, yesterday I grabbed a Coleman cooler and a few of those Rubbermaid blue ice block thingies and put my tupperdor in the cooler with the ice blocks (once I froze them) to try and cool it down.

So I put 3 of the frozen ice block things in my cooler this morning and I checked them a few minutes ago.

I'm sitting right now between 73-74F but my hygro says I'm at 59% humidity despite my using 65% Bovedas.

Should I be worried??
[Reply]
hammondc 02:35 PM 09-09-2016
You will be fine. Keep the RH good and it'll all be ok. Relax and have a cigar
[Reply]
HailTheBrownLeaf 03:35 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by hammondc:
You will be fine. Keep the RH good and it'll all be ok. Relax and have a cigar
When should I begin to worry about my RH as I'm at 58% now
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 03:41 PM 09-09-2016
It get's hotter than 85 where the leaves are grown and rolled. The issue with it being too hot is beetle eggs hatch in higher temps. There are many threads about that here, a few sticks in a tupador probably would have been fine without putting frozen chem packs in with them, or if you were really worried you could have put the tupador in the fridge (sealed of course), that is if it fit (phrasing).
[Reply]
pnoon 03:44 PM 09-09-2016
When should I begin to worry about my RH as I'm at 58% now
If it dips below 50%. I know some cigar folks who prefer 58-60% RH. I target 63%.

The real test is "Are you happy with the way your cigars are smoking?" If the answer is yes, don't worry about the number.
[Reply]
hammondc 03:47 PM 09-09-2016
Originally Posted by pnoon:
If it dips below 50%. I know some cigar folks who prefer 58-60% RH. I target 63%.

The real test is "Are you happy with the way your cigars are smoking?" If the answer is yes, don't worry about the number.
Yep!! Hail, if you are very new to cigars, the best advice I can give is to not over think the humidity/temp.
[Reply]
Page 133 of 138
« First < 3383123131132133 134135 > Last »
Up