Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 22 of 32
« First < 12202122 2324 > Last »
General Discussion>Gardeners in the Asylum
357 12:38 PM 09-26-2013
Thanks Scott. The scab on the tree with the best fruit (the one most pruned this spring), is pretty bad. Almost half the apples are split open on larger scabs. The scab is all over the leaves too. If the scab was only cosmetic I wouldn't mess with sprays, I'd just prune more in spring and thin out in June. I will be pruning more and I'm going to try the vinegar solution spray in the spring to see if it works. I've read it works on scab. If it works on one fungal issue (scab) it's likely to work on the other two, I just haven't read any direct reports of success on blotch/speck.

I'm tempted to try some grafting to produce more trees and have multiple varieties on each tree. It should help with pollination too. What I've watched on U-toob and read online makes it seem fairly easy.
[Reply]
hotreds 02:07 PM 09-29-2013
Beans being harvested!

[Reply]
kansashat 01:36 AM 10-13-2013
Bought 90 spring crocus bulbs/corms recently. They appealed to me because they come up very early & you can mow them down on your first mow of the season & they go dormant til the next spring.

It slowly dawned on my pea brain that I had to dig 90 holes. LOL

I guess I need to buy a bulb auger, so can plant them quickly & effficiently within the next month or so.

Next spring should bring a nice, if short termed show. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:04 AM 10-13-2013
Crap, forgot to look for garlic yesterday. Getting close to time to plant for next springs harvest.
[Reply]
shilala 03:04 PM 01-07-2014
The Park Seed catalog landed on my desk today. It sure doesn't feel like time to start planting seeds indoors.
I don't think I need to start anything yet unless Weeze wants flowers. It'd be good to start tobacco soon if I'm going to set it out this year.

I'm excited to have a nice season, last year was a total catastrophe.
I'll settle for a marginal season, even. :-)
[Reply]
8zeros 05:55 PM 01-07-2014
I just read this whole thread. Y'all have some nice gardens. I'll probly put in some peppers & 'maters & melons & corn & ...
Startin to sound like work. Have to wait a few months. Meanwhile I guess I could clear out the dead plants from last year.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:05 PM 01-26-2014
Need some non-GMO seeds? Good deal right now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
[Reply]
manolotano 11:45 PM 01-26-2014
I need to start planing for food, but instead have a proplem planting to much landscape. Shrubs, plants, flowers, etc are all over. Proplem is I can't eat them! Living in the south there's nothing better then smoking a beautiful looking at a beautiful landscape. Anyone else have this proplem?
[Reply]
jjirons69 07:21 PM 02-10-2014
Yeah, Scott, last year was crap. New life right around the corner.
[Reply]
AUguy 09:41 AM 02-11-2014
Spring is right around the corner. Anyone in southern PA should hit me up when it warms up if you want some free veggie plants.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 02:26 PM 02-23-2014
Went and bought a seedling tray and heat mat. I've not had much luck planting from seeds, but I bought that pack of heirloom seeds and want to give it a try. Starting onion (red/Spanish) and four types of tomato. As it gets closer to spring, I'll be starting more seeds. Looks like I need to find more room in the backyard. Gonna try watermelon and cantaloupe.
[Reply]
jjirons69 07:18 PM 02-24-2014
Good luck, Bob!

I harvested the last of the Brussels sprouts and cabbage this weekend. Got enough for a couple of messes of each. Tomatoes and peppers in the sights for the end of March. Wonder if the neighbors would know if I planted a bunch of sativas? :-) Bet my employer wouldn't like it and would certainly free up my future. Guess I'll stick with traditional crops...
[Reply]
357 01:28 PM 02-25-2014
The wife and I really want to plant a nice garden but we're not sure if we'll be moving or not. Lease on our house ends in May and owner wants to sell. Looks like we'll be going month-to-month for awhile until we find somewhere else to put down roots.
[Reply]
Steve 06:16 PM 03-15-2014
Well, I am by no means much of a gardener (much better at providing meat!), but Holly has been wanting one for a long time so I figured it was about that time. Fortunately my mother-in-laws boyfriend has a green thumb and was willing to help me with the building and creation of this little plot.

Got tomatoes, broccoli, cucumbers, hot peppers, sweet peppers, mint, basil, cilantro, a couple of different lettuces and greens and probably more...it's all starting to run together!

After all of that...

Man, I'm tired!
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 05:43 AM 03-16-2014
I'm still working on getting my raised garden built, but for now I'm doing some inside gardening. I have an avocado tree, green onions, celery, and sweet peppers all growing in my kitchen.

[Reply]
SvilleKid 06:09 PM 03-16-2014
Garden spot plowed. A couple weeks late in planting my early crops, but was occupied by granddaughter's birth two weeks ago. But its a good start. Waxy red potatoes (foreground in raised rows), two types of cabbage (45 day and 75 day maturity), yellow onions and broccoli.

Potatoes, cabbage and Onion

Broccoli and east half of garden

West half of garden
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:36 PM 03-16-2014
Wow, I wish I had a plot that size to plant.
[Reply]
357 08:23 PM 03-16-2014
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
Garden spot plowed. A couple weeks late in planting my early crops, but was occupied by granddaughter's birth two weeks ago. But its a good start. Waxy red potatoes (foreground in raised rows), two types of cabbage (45 day and 75 day maturity), yellow onions and broccoli.
What did you plow your garden with? What kind of equip?
[Reply]
Django 08:23 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Steve:
...Fortunately my mother-in-laws boyfriend has a green thumb and was willing to help me with the building and creation of this little plot

After all of that...

Man, I'm tired!
Are you sure this wasn't while your mother-in-laws boyfriend was 'helping' :-)

This is my vegetable garden (around 330 squarefeet-ish). It’s not located on my own premises, but rented nearby (due to a somewhat small and toys overtaken garden at home). It’s a bit chaotic at the moment and there is still a lot of work to do. Currently planted/sown:
Ofcourse there is a lot more to come now that the season is starting.

[Reply]
Steve 09:27 AM 03-17-2014
Originally Posted by Django:
Are you sure this wasn't while your mother-in-laws boyfriend was 'helping' :-)
No, I'm sure it was after he left. He's about 10 years older than me, and was moving around like he was 20 years younger than me. There was NO way I was going to slack off while he was there. Fortunately he left and I was able to recover for a while :-)
[Reply]
Page 22 of 32
« First < 12202122 2324 > Last »
Up