Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Gran Habano Corojo #5 mini review
spectrrr 12:44 AM 04-24-2010
I don't normally set out to review Cigars, and tonight started no different, but I decided to snap a few pics along the way and here we are.

I picked up two of these in a goodie bag. Took an hour off to watch the Red Sox game, so I sad down outside with a Gran Habano #5. Short and squat, looks like its aprox. 4.5x54. Odly enough, the two I had have different bands on them, but the same name and otherwise appear to be the same stick. I smoked the one with the larger band.

I didn't have my cutter handy, so I used the punch residing on my keychain. No draw problems, drew even and well.

1st 1/3. Lit up easily, drew well. SPICY, toasty, earthy. No burn problems despite a light wind. medium to full bodied, but there's a flavor I can't put my finger on.......

2nd 1/3 (oops, no pic)... The spicyness is still here, and all other flavors have been replaced by that mystery flavor, which has finally become readily identifiable. WET LEAVES, and not in a good way. It fascinates me for a few minutes while I allow the full flavor profile to seep in, but there's no mistaking it, it tastes like someone stuffed something wet and non-tobacco in there.

final 1/3... Still spicy, but getting a bit harsh. The wet leaves flavor continues to grow worse. The flavor of the smoke is so bad that the guy sitting next to me (who practically chain smokes Parodi gas station cigars) is reeling away anytime the wind shifts to blow smoke his way. Three or four times I caught him coughing when the smoke hit him. Finally I can take no more and toss it aside.

Other reviews seem to have favorable things to say about these, so maybe one day I'll give the other one a shot....

[Reply]
icehog3 12:47 AM 04-24-2010
You nubbed a bad one for the team, Francis....thanks for the review. :-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 01:14 AM 04-24-2010
:-)

Forgot to add, construction itself was excellent, it burned strait and clean the whole time. No tunneling, no canoeing, nothing. Had to relight once when I ran inside too long, but otherwise perfect burn.
[Reply]
G G 06:40 AM 04-24-2010
[Reply]
Don Fernando 07:27 AM 04-24-2010
I never had a Gran Habano I liked. Good review Francis.
[Reply]
MedicCook 08:22 AM 04-24-2010
Thanks for the review Francis. You will have to review the other one now and compare.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:46 AM 04-24-2010
Nice review Francis. :-)
[Reply]
Bruzee 09:22 AM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:

Thanks for the review Francis. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:52 AM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by MedicCook:
Thanks for the review Francis. You will have to review the other one now and compare.
Give him some time to get the crappy taste of the first one out of his mind, Ryan! :-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 08:04 PM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Give him some time to get the crappy taste of the first one out of his mind, Ryan! :-)
I could still taste the thing at 3pm today, after mouthwash last night and mints.....
[Reply]
jechelman 09:37 PM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:

Swore off Gran Habanos a few years ago.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 03:40 AM 04-25-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
bad idea Tom. Francis already has a crappy taste in his mouth, so he should smoke the second one now. If he waits till he has a clean palate he will ruin that again.
[Reply]
Up