Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Dyed Cigar, how to tell?
T.G 07:44 PM 11-14-2009
Originally Posted by JJG:
agreed, I don't think it makes any difference. Which begs the question, why do it in the first place? What is the point of dying the tobacco to a completely unnatural color? and even if it does not affect the flavor at all, I think it has a negative psychological effect on some, including myself.

Looks, and the public's demand for them. Some are not satisfied with just the countless sort processes which will yield a box of NC cigars that are all uniform in color, but also desire an identical consistency from box to box. Take Cuban cigars, often very inconsitant in color and often blemished wrappers, yet people accept them because they are Cuban. Not so much with the NC cigars though.

Very few cigars are dyed today anyway, so it's almost a moot point.
[Reply]
bobarian 07:50 PM 11-14-2009
In most cases they are not dyed to an unnatural color. Dying is done to give color uniformity. Often during fermentation wrappers become "splotchy" and unappealing. Wrappers are the most valuable leaf from the tobacco plant and wasting them due to uneven fermentation would increase cost. Aesthetics are a big part of any consumer purchase, from televisions and food products to cigars. Some of the cigars accused of being dyed, Partagas Black, Sancho Panza Double Maduro and Padron were among my favorite maduros. I dont smoke many NC's currently, but I would not hesitate to put them back in rotation. :-)
[Reply]
Homebrewer 07:00 AM 11-15-2009
What are they dyed with? Does anyone know?
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 07:56 AM 11-15-2009
I would suspect some kind of tobacco tea.
[Reply]
T.G 08:21 AM 11-15-2009
Originally Posted by Homebrewer:
What are they dyed with? Does anyone know?
The dye is made from the crushed stalks of the tobacco plants.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 09:07 AM 11-15-2009
http://blip.tv/file/2394562
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:04 AM 11-19-2009
Originally Posted by kaelaria:
I've never cared either way. If it smokes well and I like the flavor, that's all that matters to me.
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-)If it doesnt affect the taste, I am not sure why dying is an issue.
Originally Posted by JJG:
agreed, I don't think it makes any difference. Which begs the question, why do it in the first place? What is the point of dying the tobacco to a completely unnatural color? and even if it does not affect the flavor at all, I think it has a negative psychological effect on some, including myself.
A lot of beautiful women dye their hair??? Why??? Don't ask!!! Just enjoy!!!:-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up