Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 6
< 123 45 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>Altadis USA sues Tatuaje Cigars
Silound 10:07 PM 11-01-2009
Given my limited knowledge of laws governing this, I can't be sure but...

Pete almost certainly filed suit first because by doing so he forced Altadis to tip their hand early (he probably had some forewarning about the impending suit). Also by doing this, as was stated above, the Altadis suit will NOT proceed until a judge either combines the suits or until Pete's suit is totally settled (initial plus any appeals). Once either of those happens, then the next step proceeds.

I don't think that Altadis will come out a "winner" in this one. The Tatuaje brand doesn't come close to even comparing itself to the Montecristo line anywhere. They don't claim to be like it, near it, or even know it exists. The use of the Fleur-de-lis dates back well before the 12th century, making it unlikely that anyone can claim is as something protected by their trademark. Other than the use of the known FDL shape, they don't really have anything in common.
[Reply]
tchariya 10:11 PM 11-01-2009
They better start sueing fraternities around the USA. Many use the fleur in their badges and crests.

My fraternity didn't trademark a normal fleur, instead we copyrighted a use of the fleur with our other symbols. We have issued a cease and desist to companies that try to freely use our 'emblem' on cups, shirts, shot glasses mugs, thongs, cigar holders...etc etc...

Also, there is a steakhouse Indianapolis uses the fleur too.
[Reply]
tchariya 10:20 PM 11-01-2009
Another legal thought to trademarks, when one is given legal approval for a trademark, that entity who owns the trademark has the duty to protect it by going after anyone who tries to use it.

If they don't practice their legal powers to protect their trademark, it can be brought up in court by other parties citing that so and so company isn't doing their due diligence to protect what was granted to them.

This is why Apple Corp sues every mom and pop apple orchard and apple sounding company out there...McIntosh apples...etc etc. Whether or not Apple will win their case in trademark court, it won't matter, they are protecting the dilution of their trademark.

That's Than's terms...and I welcome anyone to correct my view of this.
[Reply]
icehog3 10:21 PM 11-01-2009
Maybe they should sue Savoy too.... :-)

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24016
[Reply]
Darrell 10:32 PM 11-01-2009
Did Altadis file papers to sue the Boy Scouts of America, yet?
[Reply]
elderboy02 05:03 AM 11-02-2009
I have a pair of boxers that I bought from Old Navy that have the fleur de lis symbol on it. I hope they don't sue me :-)
[Reply]
bleedingshrimp 08:56 AM 11-02-2009
Why does a symbol not become public domain similar to a piece of music? The symbol is so old that trademark infringement seems pretty lame to me. It's like an arrow being trademarked or a cross. As long as the symbol in question isn't a direct copy of the Montecristo version...what's the big deal?
[Reply]
Footbag 09:20 AM 11-02-2009
There are lots of variations of the FdL. I'm in the furniture business and see them on upholstery fabrics all of the time. I've also seen a number of other furniture/design firms that us it in their logo.
I cannot see this suit going very far. Seems more like desperation.
[Reply]
Addiction 09:36 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I have been boycotting Altadis products for years.

Not because of the feud or the suit, though...just 'cause they suck.
Ditto except in my case substitute "months" for "years" and you got something there.
[Reply]
Beagleone 09:59 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by tchariya:
They better start sueing fraternities around the USA. Many use the fleur in their badges and crests.

My fraternity didn't trademark a normal fleur, instead we copyrighted a use of the fleur with our other symbols. We have issued a cease and desist to companies that try to freely use our 'emblem' on cups, shirts, shot glasses mugs, thongs, cigar holders...etc etc...
Actually, there is a company that has signed up a majority of the fraternities and sororities in the US to be their official distributor for clothing, promotional items and other swag. They have aggressively gone after the many independents that cater to the local campus Greek organizations when they to tee shirts and other clothing items for copyright infringement and forcing huge settlements.

Back to the point: this has been developing for sometime now. Altadis first started this because Pete and Don Pepin made a pyramid shaped cigar that just happened to have a FdL on the band and looked a lot like a Monte #2.
[Reply]
Blueface 10:11 AM 11-02-2009
Holy Cow!!!

Did anyone realize how many old style iron fences need to come down or those owner too will be sued, along with the now dead iron workers that made them.
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:13 AM 11-02-2009
Does anyone have a complete list of cigars made by Altadis? I want to make sure I don't buy their crap.

Thanks.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 10:26 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Does anyone have a complete list of cigars made by Altadis? I want to make sure I don't buy their crap.

Thanks.
http://www.altadisusa.com/cigar/handmade.asp
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:30 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
http://www.altadisusa.com/cigar/handmade.asp
Thanks. I don't smoke any of those anyway.
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 10:31 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Thanks. I don't smoke any of those anyway.
You have no idea what your missing if your not smoking Big Butt :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:39 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
You have no idea what your missing if your not smoking Big Butt :-)
No comment :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 11:31 AM 11-02-2009
Just realized, while many of us don't touch Altadis USA stuff, on paper, they are the same Altadis that has part of the Habanos.
So, every time we light one of those CC's, back to Altadis it goes. :-)
[Reply]
VirtualSmitty 11:34 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
Just realized, while many of us don't touch Altadis USA stuff, on paper, they are the same Altadis that has part of the Habanos.
Indeed. They also own most of JR Cigars at this point, so every time you order from them back to Altadis it goes.
[Reply]
kydsid 11:35 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:
Considering that the history of Altadis goes as far back as 1918...Tatuaje goes back all of 6 years....

For those of you who wish Altadis to fail, maybe you want to re-think your words??
Originally Posted by Blueface:

I'm pretty sure Altadis USA and Altadis SA are completely sepperate companies. That's not to say that don't back channel money back and forth illegally if they are controlled by the same people, but I'm pretty sure the IRS would want to know, and not even sure they are controlled by the same people.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:41 AM 11-02-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
It is still going to be a legal fiasco when (if) the Embargo ends IMHO.
Habanos could launch new US only brands until everything is straightened out.
[Reply]
Page 3 of 6
< 123 45 > Last »
Up