Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Joya de Nicaragua Fuerte?
The Poet 04:35 PM 10-26-2009
Did you guys see that 1-day e-mail offer for these? I'm not pushing them, or recommending them, I'm just curious - if these are Fuertes, then what the hell are their regular sticks of dynamite supposed to be, Macanoodles? Any thoughts?
[Reply]
acarr 05:10 PM 10-26-2009
Those are pequito fuerte, these ones are muy fuerte:-) Actually if they are stronger, I think I might have to try one or two on an empty stomach!
[Reply]
bobarian 05:12 PM 10-26-2009
These are quite good. They are a different blend from the Antano, but use the Antano wrapper. These are a bundle smoke and not to be confused with the as of yet unreleased(to my knowledge) stronger Antano.
[Reply]
Blindjimme 05:15 PM 10-26-2009
They're actually pretty tasty, not a$$ kicking strong at all. It's different filler / same wrapper as the Antanos, which I also don't find to be overly strong either. Different folks..

edit: Bob types faster than me!

[Reply]
T.G 05:16 PM 10-26-2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZs3s6lGLtc
[Reply]
Ratters 11:45 PM 10-26-2009
Yep, they are a pretty darned good smoke for the money. Not an Antano, but great for the price. I picked up three bundles, two when CI screwed up their box sale and had them for $30 a bundle. :-)
[Reply]
roughrider 01:27 PM 10-27-2009
The few I've smoked had some nice spice to 'em.
[Reply]
sikk50 01:45 PM 10-27-2009
I was gifted one (Thanks Ratters!!!) I plan to smoke it today to see if I should order a bundle
[Reply]
The Poet 02:23 PM 10-27-2009
Does this all mean the "fuerte" is thus either misleading or a misnomer?

Frankly, I'm :-)
[Reply]
T.G 03:37 PM 10-27-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Does this all mean the "fuerte" is thus either misleading or a misnomer?

Frankly, I'm :-)
What's probably making things confusing is that Joya de Nicaragua is the name of the company, but has sort of been adopted as the name of the cigars too.

Keep in mind that this cigar is the "Fuerte" by Joya de Nicaragua. Fuerte means "strong", but there is no baseline for what "strong" is, it could mean "strong cigar" or "stronger than this other cigar we make" both of which are very subjective.

This is a strong cigar and it also happens to actually be stronger than the "regular" JdN (round band, gold trim). The JdN Antanio, which you might be thinking of, is a different cigar. The JdN Fuerte does use the same Criollo wrapper leaf as the JdNA though.

These are the cigars in the JdN lineup (in no particular order):
The original unnamed cigar from JdN, which has become known as the "JdN", Fuerte, Celebracion, Antanio, Antanio Dark Corojo (not yet available).

There used to be a Serie C, with a Connecticut shade wrapper, but that was discontinued about two years ago.

FWIW, Jonathan wanted to call these "Cheap and Strongs" but I guess someone at CI changed the name to "Fuerte" Sounds fancier (raises pinky)

Hopefully that helps some.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:47 PM 10-27-2009
:-)
[Reply]
dannysguitar 04:08 PM 10-27-2009
Thanks for the info TG! This is why I love CA!
[Reply]
Cigary 04:18 PM 10-27-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
What's probably making things confusing is that Joya de Nicaragua is the name of the company, but has sort of been adopted as the name of the cigars too.

Keep in mind that this cigar is the "Fuerte" by Joya de Nicaragua. Fuerte means "strong", but there is no baseline for what "strong" is, it could mean "strong cigar" or "stronger than this other cigar we make" both of which are very subjective.

This is a strong cigar and it also happens to actually be stronger than the "regular" JdN (round band, gold trim). The JdN Antanio, which you might be thinking of, is a different cigar. The JdN Fuerte does use the same Criollo wrapper leaf as the JdNA though.

The original unnamed cigar from JdN, which has become known as the "JdN", Fuerte, Celebracion, Antanio, Antanio Dark Corojo (not yet available).

There used to be a Serie C, with a Connecticut shade wrapper, but that was discontinued about two years ago.

FWIW, Jonathan wanted to call these "Cheap and Strongs" but I guess someone at CI changed the name to "Fuerte" Sounds fancier (raises pinky)

Good info here and now raises my curiosity about them. I am fan of JDN and have smoked the consul for many years and then converted to the Antano. Have been seeing the "fuerte" and was wondering if it was hype or the real thing. Guess I need to get a 5 pak and see for myself.
[Reply]
stitch 08:08 PM 10-27-2009
Lower grade tobac .... A tad on the Harsh side, Decent strong tobbaco flavor
An Antano ...Nope not even close.
But they aint bad for a cheap smoke
BUT ...REMEMBER , This is coming from the old cowpoke who'll smoke a tree branch :-)
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 09:57 PM 11-15-2009

Truth be told TG, they have not been discontinued....when I visited the JDN Factory last year at this time I asked about the Serie C and was told it is only being sold to the European market. I saw boxes and boxes of them just waiting to get cello on them so they could be shipped.

I personally liked the Serie C and was disappointed that I could no longer get them!
[Reply]
T.G 10:21 PM 11-15-2009
Originally Posted by SkinsFanLarry:
Truth be told TG, they have not been discontinued....when I visited the JDN Factory last year at this time I asked about the Serie C and was told it is only being sold to the European market. I saw boxes and boxes of them just waiting to get cello on them so they could be shipped.

I personally liked the Serie C and was disappointed that I could no longer get them!
Interesting, Jonathan had told me that they were discontinued. Thanks for the info.
[Reply]
thebiglebowski 07:33 AM 11-16-2009
anyone know how these compare to the celebracion series? particularly, the churchill size (in the celebracion)...
[Reply]
darkninja67 08:15 AM 11-16-2009
Pretty good smoke but I'd rather smoke the Antano at $3.45 a pop.
[Reply]
bobarian 12:27 PM 11-16-2009
Originally Posted by thebiglebowski:
anyone know how these compare to the celebracion series? particularly, the churchill size (in the celebracion)...
I have only had the corona size in both blends. The Fuerte will be a bit spicier and stronger than the Celebracion. I really like the Antano, but since the price increase I dont find them as appealing. For $40 a bundle, I think these hold up well in the class. Different from the Nic 3000, but just as good a value. :-)
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 12:59 PM 11-16-2009
Interesting, Jonathan had told me that they were discontinued. Thanks for the info.
That's why I was there, we were doing the Drew Estate/Cigar Safari Tour. Jonathan sure knows how to put together a great event, I had a blast!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up