Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Favorite Cigar Book or Reference Guide
CasaDooley 12:01 PM 11-15-2009
I know (almost) everyone loves MRN's "An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars", but are there others that you enjoy that cover the world of NC, CC or both?
I'm looking to expand my library and was curious to know what you all find interesting and informative. Some of my favorites, other than MRN, are "The Complete Guide For Habanos' Enthusiasts" and "The Ultimate Cigar Book". What say the rest of you?:-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 12:04 PM 11-15-2009
The one Kyle lent to me was good... I cant remember the name....
[Reply]
roughrider 12:06 PM 11-15-2009
Internet forums and review websites for me.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 12:13 PM 11-15-2009
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
The one Kyle lent to me was good... I cant remember the name....
MJ, I'd ask Ky the name, but that guy never answers my pm's!:-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 12:23 PM 11-15-2009
Originally Posted by CasaDooley:
MJ, I'd ask Ky the name, but that guy never answers my pm's!:-)
Sheesh! No Respect, huh? LOL
Come to tihnk of it, I need ot herf with at guy again to return his book...
[Reply]
SkinsFanLarry 12:24 PM 11-15-2009
My favorites are Nat Sherman's A Passion for Cigars and The Gourmet Guide to Cigars by Paul B.K. Garmirian, PhD.
[Reply]
Namerifrats 01:26 PM 11-15-2009
Internet, Cigar Aficionado's Cigar Companion Guide, Idiots Guide to Cigars, etc.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 01:50 PM 11-15-2009
Rich Perelman's Cigarcyclopedia is fantastic. Old brand history, new brands, blends, manufacturers, size trends, what more can you ask for.
Can often be found on CigarBid or as a freebie from Mike's in Miami.
Can be bought direct from cigarcyclopedia.com.
I love looking at the old ones I have, they're worth saving.

Lots of current info on line as well. The comparison shopper is great to help find the lowest prices. Cigar news updated almost daily. Check it out.

PS- I'm not associated with this site, but I wish I was! It's that good.:-)
[Reply]
Zanaspus 04:58 PM 11-15-2009
Who needs a book when you have this splendid community? :-)
[Reply]
JJG 05:22 PM 11-15-2009
Originally Posted by Zanaspus:
Who needs a book when you have this splendid community? :-)
agreed!

For Cubans, the MRN book works because there aren't that many brands, and Habanos only issues a few new cigars each year.

I don't think you can have a reference guide for NCs like MRN simply because there are so many brands and so many new cigars coming out every month. Any sort of printed book is going to be outdated before it even hits the shelves. For this reason I think online resources are the most complete and comprehensive.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 10:55 PM 11-16-2009
Thanks for the recommendations guys! I know there are not alot of Reference guides, but there are alot of cigar history type of books that I would like to read.:-)
[Reply]
Addiction 03:51 AM 11-17-2009
For me its the MRN by a mile. I have other books but the MRN is about 90% of what I tend to go to. I do like The Gourmet Guide to Cigars for a laugh, there is a section of the book that tells you what cigars you should smoke based on your height and weight lol.
[Reply]
Up