Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>I want some Plume!
Titan410 06:46 PM 12-16-2009
I've been storing some cigars in a coolerdor and Vino for two years. No plume. I've never had a cigar with plume and I've been hoping to find one or two developing it but no dice.
Temps are about 68 and humidity is 65-70.
Does storing cigars in the cello prevent or inhibit plume in any way?

I was at a B&M in Fredericksburg in the summer and they had some on the shelves with plume and I was tempted to buy one but didn't. Now I'm regretting it.
[Reply]
cort 07:08 PM 12-16-2009
Originally Posted by Titan410:
I've been storing some cigars in a coolerdor and Vino for two years. No plume. I've never had a cigar with plume and I've been hoping to find one or two developing it but no dice.
Temps are about 68 and humidity is 65-70.
Does storing cigars in the cello prevent or inhibit plume in any way?

I was at a B&M in Fredericksburg in the summer and they had some on the shelves with plume and I was tempted to buy one but didn't. Now I'm regretting it.
It was probably mold:-)
[Reply]
Titan410 07:10 PM 12-16-2009
Originally Posted by Cort:
It was probably mold:-)
I've tried to convince myself of that. :-)
[Reply]
cort 07:12 PM 12-16-2009
Originally Posted by Titan410:
I've tried to convince myself of that. :-)
:-):-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 07:18 PM 12-16-2009
FWIW, plume doesn't make a cigar taste better. Some cigars will plume, others won't. It's just an indicator of good storage.
[Reply]
pnoon 07:30 PM 12-16-2009
I've never understood the pre-occupation w/plume.

NCRadioMan is correct. It is indicative of proper storage. It doesn't affect the flavor or smokeability of the cigar.
:-)
[Reply]
Namerifrats 08:19 PM 12-16-2009
I've had a few cigars develop a little plume. Usually a dusty white look. I don't really like it and smoke them as soon as I notice it. I like oily shiny wrappers.
[Reply]
JJG 08:23 PM 12-16-2009
I'm no expert on aged cigars, but I've smoked a fair amount of cigars that were 5 and 10 years old and I've never seen plume. I'm not even sure that age guarantees plume, so you could wait a long time without the desired result ever happening. The other option would be to buy some vintage cigars. JRs has a good selection of aged NCs and there are also aged CCs to be had out there. This may be your best bet, but again I don't think it's a guarantee.
[Reply]
hotreds 08:55 PM 12-16-2009
Ditto the above- plume does not help the taste of the 'gar in any way. I've had some-in fact a box- of cigars with plume- they were as good as- but not better then- other similar vitolas. Just like a little mold is no reason to toss a cigar, a little plume is no reason to expect an exceptional smoke!
[Reply]
Kreth 09:09 PM 12-16-2009
So, occasionally when smoking a cigar, I will see what looks like crystals in the ash. Is this the beginnings of plume?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
bigloo 09:45 PM 12-16-2009
Kreth....

http://cigarfan.wordpress.com/2008/0...oth-and-grain/

Lu
[Reply]
Ranger_B 10:10 PM 12-16-2009
So if you have never smoked a cigar with plume are you sure you want it? What if you dont like it? Just a thought. I too have not been able to find the plume either.
[Reply]
RichardW 10:23 PM 12-16-2009
I don't recall ever seeing plume on a CC, but I've seen in on domestics. As mentioned before, it really doesn't add to the flavor, but I've enjoyed the sparkle while smoking outdoors on on one of those rare PNW sunny days :-)

[Reply]
markem 10:40 PM 12-16-2009
Fans of the old Hee Haw show will recognize the tune. Feel free to sing along.

Gloom, despair and agony on me
Deep dark depression, excessive misery.
If it weren't for green plume, I'd have no plume at all
Gloom, despair and agony on me

I have had plume develop on sticks that I was aging. The most memorable was a box of Partagas 8-9-8V that I bought from a brother on the before-we-became-CA board that developed rich plume on all the sticks starting last fall and over the winter. Alas, that box is gone, but boy was it good. First box I ever had the developed plume on all the sticks more or less at the same time.

I agree with others that plume is a sign of aging conditions and does not, by itself, improve or detract from the flavor.
[Reply]
Kreth 06:07 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by bigloo:
Kreth....

http://cigarfan.wordpress.com/2008/0...oth-and-grain/

Lu
Interesting read. Thanks. :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
N2Advnture 06:38 AM 12-17-2009
According to MRN:

"The most current theory is that plume is caused by sudden condensation of volatile oils surrounding the cigar due to sudden fluctuations of ambient temperature or humidity. The oils condensed are subsequently re-vaporized. Leaving the minerals dissolved in the oil in a crystallized form. Hence they are needle-like if you see them closely."

The fluctuations mentioned would typically within a very, very short period of time and not long enough to cause any adverse affects to the cigar.

I hope this helps

~Mark
[Reply]
CigarGuy 08:23 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by Kreth:
So, occasionally when smoking a cigar, I will see what looks like crystals in the ash. Is this the beginnings of plume?
Posted via Mobile Device
If my mind serves me correctly, it means the soil has to much of a mineral in it.....I think its magnesium.:-) :-)
[Reply]
stearns 10:31 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by CigarGuy:
If my mind serves me correctly, it means the soil has to much of a mineral in it.....I think its magnesium.:-) :-)
i remember being told its due to excess potassium, but dont hold me to it

stearns
[Reply]
mithrilG60 11:28 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by RichardW:
I don't recall ever seeing plume on a CC, but I've seen in on domestics. As mentioned before, it really doesn't add to the flavor, but I've enjoyed the sparkle while smoking outdoors on on one of those rare PNW sunny days :-)

I've seen lots of CC's with plume, as you mentioned though it makes no real difference to the enjoyment of the cigar. All it is the crystallization of evaporating essential oils on the wrapper surface.
[Reply]
Titan410 12:33 PM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by Ranger_B:
So if you have never smoked a cigar with plume are you sure you want it? What if you dont like it? Just a thought. I too have not been able to find the plume either.
Hmmm, now I'd say its no biggie. Thanks for your responses. But I'd still like to try one someday. I guess its just a "been there, done that" thing.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up