Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 114 of 350
« First < 1464104112113114 115116124164214 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
jkim05 10:33 AM 07-27-2009
Just started lifting regularly again last week. Nowhere near the numbers you guys are putting up, but you gotta start somewhere, right? My new gym is 24hrs, which is great with the odd I hours I keep.
PeteSB75 11:37 AM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by jkim05:
Just started lifting regularly again last week. Nowhere near the numbers you guys are putting up, but you gotta start somewhere, right? My new gym is 24hrs, which is great with the odd I hours I keep.
Going regularly is much more important than worrying about how much you put up. With time and work, those numbers change anyway :-)
Starchild 12:07 PM 07-27-2009
Got back in the gym this morning after taking most of last week off due to my schedule.

Crossfit WOD:
Thrusters (combined front squat and push press)
Pull ups

21-15-9 reps

Completed in 9:13 with 75lbs
jkim05 01:50 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Going regularly is much more important than worrying about how much you put up. With time and work, those numbers change anyway :-)
Too true. Haven't quite hit the groove yet where it's instinctive to go to the gym, still a bit of effort required to get myself out there, but it's getting easier.
BigFrank 04:48 PM 07-27-2009
I used to have trouble going to the gym, I dont know about your situation exactly. But I would take my gym crap and go right from work. In my mind I had no excuse not to go, became part of my routine. Going home first then sitting around kills a lot of people.

Bench Tonight.
395x6, 3 rep PR. 6 Felt strong, think I could've gotten this for an 8. No spotter and shitty bench.
Dips
20 min cardio.

Conditioning work has been killing my lower body lifts. So Ive decided to do 2 low intensity days, days before deadlifts and squats, and 3 intense cardio days.
jkim05 05:33 PM 07-27-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
I used to have trouble going to the gym, I dont know about your situation exactly. But I would take my gym crap and go right from work. In my mind I had no excuse not to go, became part of my routine. Going home first then sitting around kills a lot of people.
Just laziness on my part. Also, if I'm not paying attention, I'll intend to go straight from work and look up and be at home. Yeah, if I go home first, I'll never make it out. There's way to much stuff to do at home. I also figured posting on here will help keep me accountable. Can't post progress if I haven't been to the gym. :-)
PeteSB75 07:04 AM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by jkim05:
Just laziness on my part. Also, if I'm not paying attention, I'll intend to go straight from work and look up and be at home. Yeah, if I go home first, I'll never make it out. There's way to much stuff to do at home. I also figured posting on here will help keep me accountable. Can't post progress if I haven't been to the gym. :-)
When I was getting started into going regularly, I would just throw a bag in the car in the morning with workout clothes/shoes in it and go straight there after getting off the train. Really helped get me into a routine.

Good squat this morning, 320x5 new PR. Press felt off, only got one rep of 135, 130 felt very heavy. Dead was ok, 295x2 to tie PR. I think I blew my load on the squat :-) :-)
Starchild 07:48 AM 07-28-2009
Did front squats today in the Crossfit WOD

I was pretty disappointed in my 3 rep max at only 135, but they are a lot different than back squats.
The Professor 07:51 AM 07-28-2009
Push-pull (chest-lats) plus tris today. It was fine. My bench sucked; but that's not anything new. Still getting used to the layout of the gym and the equipment.
icehog3 08:09 AM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
Push-pull (chest-lats) plus tris today. It was fine. My bench sucked; but that's not anything new. Still getting used to the layout of the gym and the equipment.
Gonna do chest/back today as well, Dokk, Great minds...
BigFrank 01:49 PM 07-28-2009
Originally Posted by Starchild:
Did front squats today in the Crossfit WOD

I was pretty disappointed in my 3 rep max at only 135, but they are a lot different than back squats.
agreed. front squats are rough. wait till you get into the 200-300 pound range and the bar feels like its going to crush your collar bone! :-)
BigFrank 03:58 PM 07-28-2009
Tonights workout-
Deadlifted 530x3, 3rd felt fast off the floor, held it for a minute decided to save the rest for conditioning.
Pull ups then some calf crap, tossed in some rows, hammer curls.
12 min conditioning + Frank = Pre-workout drink in trash can.

Feeling less fat.
PeteSB75 07:08 AM 07-30-2009
Did some speed work today, so not going heavy on anything. Squat, Bench and Hang Cleans.

Ok, so I need to switch up my workouts. I've been tossing a few options around, and I'd like to stick with a mostly full-body workout every time, as that seems to be working for me, and I like it. So, I was trying to come up with say, a 3-4 day split of exercises that centers around the core lifts - squat, dead, press, bench and power clean. I've seen a number of people posting on here about doing pushing and pulling days? I'm just unsure of what exercises to go with for each side in addition to the core. I hesitate to bench and press on the same day, because of the tricep component in each.

So here's what I am thinking to start with, just wondering if anyone can help me fill in some blanks.

Pushing days alternating:
Squat
Bench
?

Squat
Press
?

Pulling days alternating:
Dead
Pull-up
?

Cleans (hang, power)
Rows
Chins?
The Professor 08:12 AM 07-30-2009
I don't know if there's something different about our bars, my grip is shot, the grips have been greased, or all of the above. What I do know is that can't hold onto sh*t this week. :-) Oh well. Sometimes sh*t happens. :-)

Hanging triplex, extra deads, pull-down abs, and pull-throughs. I'll do some more shoulder and arm stuff tomorrow before having an all cardio, all the time weekend. :-)
zonedar 02:59 PM 08-01-2009
My bench SUCKS(!) and it ain't getting any better. Any pointers/tips to help me get past my plateau I'm stuck at?

Thinking about asking my gym to get some chains. Worth it?
icehog3 09:53 PM 08-01-2009
Do you do flat benches every workout? If so, change it up. Start with inclines or incline DBS for a workout, and do a few other chest exercises without doing any flat bench. Next workout, do some flat DBs but no flat bench. Then come back to the flat bench a couple workouts later.

If you already change up your routine, let us know what you do. I am sure some of the guys here will have some more suggestions.
DavenportESQ 12:08 AM 08-02-2009
Originally Posted by zonedar:
My bench SUCKS(!) and it ain't getting any better. Any pointers/tips to help me get past my plateau I'm stuck at?

Not worth it IMO. Chains/bands I would say are for more experienced lifters, not something that you should mess with....Even guys who use chains/bands have a very regimented work out...

I dont know much about improving you bench. but heres what I would do..

Flat Bench less, or if you are work different grips..

Look at the biggest benchers in the world what are the two things they have in common. Huge Triceps, and huge lats...Do more exercises that incorporate the two..Also what is ur workout plan like? If you go in and try and max out everyday you won't get strong. Try a new rep/set scheme

Mostly, try new things, do more lat stuff. If you can wide grip pull ups Tricep presses, dips etc.
DavenportESQ 12:20 AM 08-02-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
Did some speed work today, so not going heavy on anything. Squat, Bench and Hang Cleans.

Ok, so I need to switch up my workouts. I've been tossing a few options around, and I'd like to stick with a mostly full-body workout every time, as that seems to be working for me, and I like it. So, I was trying to come up with say, a 3-4 day split of exercises that centers around the core lifts - squat, dead, press, bench and power clean. I've seen a number of people posting on here about doing pushing and pulling days? I'm just unsure of what exercises to go with for each side in addition to the core. I hesitate to bench and press on the same day, because of the tricep component in each.

So here's what I am thinking to start with, just wondering if anyone can help me fill in some blanks.

Pushing days alternating:
Squat
Bench
?

Squat
Press
?

Pulling days alternating:
Dead
Pull-up
?

Cleans (hang, power)
Rows
Chins?
If It were me I would do something opposite..Like if you are going to have a big push day also work a pull. This helps balance in your body, and helps you so you do not get really tight, prevents injuries etc. On your big bench days I would add Pull ups.

I would also say don't flat bench twice a week or back squat twice a week.

Maybe on your heavy chest day do lighter front squats? On your heavy back squat do a light military or incline press..I would def work Rows on one upper press, and pull ups on the other. No reason to do hang cleans and power cleans on the same day. Why not have one day where you do your power cleans and maybe do less reps heavier weight from the floor. and work up so when you get too heavy you can just work them into deadlifts?

People forget that Cleans are suppose to be quick explosive movements, so on these days you want to start with them and make them priority of the day. Everything after should be a supplement because they are so "complex"

here is what I might do

Day 1
Power Cleans (pull)
Overhead Press(Light and explosive)

Day 2 (heavy Upper body Press, light lower body press, but high rep pulls as your supplemental lifts)
Bench Press
Front Squat
Supplemental lifts include pull ups, dips, rows etc.

Day 3
Hang Cleans(light and explosive)
Seated Presses(I would have a heavier overhead press workout, Seated military DB)

Day 4
Back Squat(Heavy)
Incline Press(lighter)
Supplemental lifts include Leg curls, maybe good AM's, Glute ham raises. Another pull, trying to think

just a quick idea add in your auxilary lifts Day 4 kinda sucks because its 2 presses, but im trying to think about what else you could do Ijust through this together quickly, sorry hope it helps
BigFrank 07:54 AM 08-02-2009
Originally Posted by zonedar:

Drop the weight back and learn how to properly bench. A lot of it is technique. Then work your way back up. Like Daven said, heavy tricep and upper back / lats cannot be ignored for a big bench.
But this would be for powerlifting or pure strength. Think you need to be a little more precise about it. Hard to serve more than one master in the Iron game.
zonedar 11:14 AM 08-02-2009
A little background. I'm 49, about 6' 4.5". 210lbs. Always been week in the upper body (really skinny kid). Been lifting weights for about a year and a half. Wife says I'm looking pretty good.

Lately my workout has been something like this:

Chest/Tri day
Bench BB 2-3 set of 12 really light warm up
Bench BB 3 set of 8 to close to failure on the eighth of the third set.
Incline DB 3 sets of eight
Decline DB or Lying DB Tricep Extension 3 sets of 8-10
Cable Pullovers 3 sets of 10-12

Back Shoulder
Wide Cable Pulldowns 2-3 sets of 12 really light
Wide Cable Pulldowns 3 sets of 8 heavy
Cable Rows 3 sets of 8
One-Arm Dumbbell Row 3 sets of 8
Shrugs 3 sets of 8

Leg
Leg presses 2-3 sets of 12 really light
Leg presses 3 sets of 8 heavy
Squats 3 sets of 8
Leg Curls 3 sets of 8
leg extensions 3 sets of 8 heavy

Arm
BB curls 2-3 sets of 12 really light
BB curls 3 sets of 8 heavy
DB curls 3 sets of 8
Preacher curls (either machine or EZ Bar)
21's with BB (relatively light)

I alternatively do some abs and lower back stuff every gym day.

Looking at the following (got it off Bodybuilding.com):

Chest Day
*Lateral Raise: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Flat Bench Press: 6 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 reps *
*Incline Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Flat Dumbbell Flyes: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Back Day
*Lat Pulldown: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Bent Over Barbell Row: 6 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 reps *
*Close-Grip Pulldown: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Dumbbell Shrug: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Leg Day
*Leg Extension: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Squat: 6 sets of 10, 8, 6, 4, 3, 2 reps *
*Lying Leg Curl: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Leg Press: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Arm Day
*Hammer Curl: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Skullcrusher: 3 sets of 10, 8, 6 reps *
*Barbell Curl: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Close-Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 15, 12, 10 reps *
*Cable Curl: 2 sets of 25 reps *
*Triceps Pushdown: 2 sets of 25 reps *

Thoughts?

Maybe do like Frank says go light for a while to work on technique and then start working up again? My triceps suck too, BTW. :-)
Page 114 of 350
« First < 1464104112113114 115116124164214 > Last »
Up