Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 14 of 54
« First < 4121314 151624 > Last »
Discussion>New Pipe Smoker With A Question? Ask an Old Fart
JaKaacH 03:07 PM 12-11-2009
Originally Posted by yellowgoat:
My ring fell off the Briar part of my pipe. See pic. Can I use crazy glue?
I don't see what it would hurt. I would just make sure to use it sparingly, maybe two very small drops on the inside of the ring. Then slide it on and then rotate it a quarter turn to spread out the glue.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 07:05 AM 12-13-2009
Originally Posted by yellowgoat:
My ring fell off the Briar part of my pipe. See pic. Can I use crazy glue?
Besides a slight-slight possible outgassing of toxics from heated cyanoacrylates I don't have best results with them when mating gapped surfaces. Constant heating/cooling and expansion/contraction would send me to something non-toxic that handles expansion better, like a drop or two of Elmers wood glue.

The expert on this, however, is not me. This is only an educated guess. Is there a pipemaker in the house?
[Reply]
JaKaacH 09:51 AM 12-13-2009
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
Besides a slight-slight possible outgassing of toxics from heated cyanoacrylates I don't have best results with them when mating gapped surfaces. Constant heating/cooling and expansion/contraction would send me to something non-toxic that handles expansion better, like a drop or two of Elmers wood glue.

The expert on this, however, is not me. This is only an educated guess. Is there a pipemaker in the house?
That is true, the "superglues" are not very flexible. I don't know how well the wood glue would bond to the metal ring though.
Maybe the Elmers Ultimate glue would be better. Claims to "bond anything to anything." (Elmers version of Gorilla Glue)
http://www.elmers.com/homerepair/ultimate/
Again use a very tiny amount of glue.
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:04 PM 12-16-2009
Can someone post a pic of how you store your tobacco?

Thanks.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 05:35 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Can someone post a pic of how you store your tobacco?

Thanks.
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:31 AM 12-17-2009
Thanks. I am looking for more of a setup with baggies in tupperware. I don't haven enough to put into a jar. I assume you need to keep the tobacco humidified correct?
[Reply]
RevSmoke 07:09 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
Thanks. I am looking for more of a setup with baggies in tupperware. I don't haven enough to put into a jar. I assume you need to keep the tobacco humidified correct?
Actually, it doesn't matter if you have enough or not. The extra space isn't going to hurt. It is the seal that is important to keep whatever moisture is in, in there. I have tobaccos in jars that have no humidificaion devices - the moisture that is already in there stays... And they're cheap. (Although, if you drop them on the cement floor of your basement tobacco cellar, they will break into tiny little pieces.

I personally like my tobaccos a little drier than how they come from the tobacconist. Moist tobaccos cause tongue-bite. So, I even dry them out a bit before putting them into jars.

If I'd suggest anything, it would be not to mix you scented (aromatics and/or blends with Latakia) tobaccos with unscented tobaccos. So, a couple jars might be a good idea.
[Reply]
htown 07:29 AM 12-17-2009
I am interested in pipe smoking, but I haven't bought one yet. What would y'all recommend as a cheap pipe?
[Reply]
Whee 07:34 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by htown:
I am interested in pipe smoking, but I haven't bought one yet. What would y'all recommend as a cheap pipe?
Start with some cheap corn cobs. They are good to "practice" on and are pretty durable. They tend not to "ghost" flavors as well.
[Reply]
htown 07:38 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
Start with some cheap corn cobs. They are good to "practice" on and are pretty durable. They tend not to "ghost" flavors as well.
Where do they sell them?
[Reply]
Whee 07:53 AM 12-17-2009
Where do they sell them?
www.pipesandcigars.com is a good place to start.

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/micocobme.html
[Reply]
Demented 07:57 AM 12-17-2009
Where do they sell them?
Google Missouri Meerschaum, shop around for the best price.
[Reply]
htown 08:07 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by illinoishoosier:
www.pipesandcigars.com is a good place to start.

http://store.pipesandcigars.com/micocobme.html
Thanks! On the page with the corn cob pipes there are some cheap hardwood pipes, would you still recommend the cob? Also what would be a couple of good tobaccos to try out. If cigar preference is a good indicator- I lean towards habanos.
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:57 AM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by Mister Moo:
All this jazz and more is discussed in the ASP FAQ, too. Excellent resource. ...
Thanks for this link. It answered about 10 of my questions :-)
[Reply]
Whee 12:32 PM 12-17-2009
Thanks! On the page with the corn cob pipes there are some cheap hardwood pipes, would you still recommend the cob? Also what would be a couple of good tobaccos to try out. If cigar preference is a good indicator- I lean towards habanos.

Anything on that page is a good starter.
I am still a bit nooby on the pipe slope myself. Smoke more cigars than my pipes.

I started with these two.

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/macvancream.html
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/dunmix965.html

I've bought some samplers from this place. Very good stuff.

https://www.tobacco-barn.com/news.aspx?showarticle=25
[Reply]
Mister Moo 02:53 PM 12-17-2009
A corncob pipe and a pouch of Carter Hall or Prince Albert can make a good starter and a good finisher. Some folks smoke nothing else. They are easy to learn with and there's plenty to enjoy. Do not underestimate the $5.00 corncob pipe - they have excellent smoking properties.
[Reply]
Mister Moo 02:57 PM 12-17-2009
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Actually, it doesn't matter if you have enough or not. The extra space isn't going to hurt. It is the seal that is important to keep whatever moisture is in, in there. I have tobaccos in jars that have no humidificaion devices - the moisture that is already in there stays... And they're cheap. (Although, if you drop them on the cement floor of your basement tobacco cellar, they will break into tiny little pieces.

I personally like my tobaccos a little drier than how they come from the tobacconist. Moist tobaccos cause tongue-bite. So, I even dry them out a bit before putting them into jars.

If I'd suggest anything, it would be not to mix you scented (aromatics and/or blends with Latakia) tobaccos with unscented tobaccos. So, a couple jars might be a good idea.
What he said.

You can also find 4-ounce jam jars at places like WalMart and Target, etc., if you don't need the big ones. The are cheap and they are 1000x more reliable than baggies and tupperware.
[Reply]
Demented 03:39 PM 12-17-2009
:-) A 4 fluid ounce jam-jar will hold an ounces (by weight) of compressed tobacco, an 8 fl. oz. jar will hold 2 oz. B.W. of compressed tobacco, and so on. Should you decide to go this route, a canning funnel comes in very handy and a scale.

I’ve found buying canning jars by the case, tobacco by the pound and dividing it into 2 ounce portions then canning it, cuts cost by about 40%.
[Reply]
Tuxguy 08:15 PM 12-19-2009
do certian blends smoke better in certain style pipes?
[Reply]
Mister Moo 08:27 PM 12-19-2009
Originally Posted by Tuxguy:
do certian blends smoke better in certain style pipes?
That's one of those individual opinion things, Jason. Different people with different preferences in pipes and tobacco (and maybe more or less experience) will have different answers. There's not a "yes" or "no" to it but, still, there can be plenty to discuss.

In my opinion, yes. Sure. Sometimes. :-)
[Reply]
Page 14 of 54
« First < 4121314 151624 > Last »
Up