Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 18 of 39
« First < 8161718 192028 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
icehog3 04:20 PM 02-14-2011
Originally Posted by Wallbright:
Oh I thought these are minis and smaller are cigarillos? What is the correct verbage so I don't make the mistake again?

Also, why is 70 too high for cubans? I believe you as youbare more experienced than me but I just had never heard that before.
The vast majority of smokers seem to like find their Cubans smoke better and taste better at 65% or below....I keep mine around 62%. At 70%, they seem to smoke "wet"....problemed burns, problems staying lit, flavor issues, etc. I know this from my own experience, but can't explain the "science" behind it.
[Reply]
Kreth 04:20 PM 02-14-2011
Also, why is 70 too high for cubans? I believe you as youbare more experienced than me but I just had never heard that before.
70 is too high for anything, IMO. I find my sticks smoke best around 65. But if you like the way your sticks are smoking, don't worry about the numbers... :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Bill86 09:46 PM 02-14-2011
Oh I thought these are minis and smaller are cigarillos? What is the correct verbage so I don't make the mistake again?

Minis and cigarillos are more like a ring gauge in the 20's. Party shorts are a 42 RG, I personally lump them in with the "Petit Corona sized sticks". Knowing all the correct sizing on every CC would be too much IMO. Technically the petit cazadores is a ....petit cazadores 4 1/8 x 43. But for my purpose and reasoning they are "PC sized sticks".
[Reply]
Tyler 09:48 PM 02-14-2011
Thanks for the info fellas. I will post any more questions I come across. :-)
[Reply]
sanukmac 05:28 AM 04-09-2011
Hi , I am a new member here and I am hoping that someone can help me with a humidor question . I live in Chiang Mai , Thailand and the weather gets real hot here so I assume that this is a problem for keeping cigars ?
I am thinking that a wine cooler is the best option ? I have found 4 or 5 wine coolers that I can buy here , a couple of different Sanyo's as well as a couple of Samsungs .
I hear that thermoelectric is the way to go but even after doing a lot of searching on the net , have not been able to figure out if these coolers are thermoelectric or not :-)
So I guess my questions are :
1) Do I need to buy a wine cooler as it gets up to over 100F here in the hot season ?
2) How the hell do I figure out weather the cooler is thermoelectric or not ?
And asking the salesman here in Thailand is not the answer as very very few salespeople here have any knowledge of the product that they are selling .
These are the 4 coolers that are available in this area , any help is appreciated , thanks everyone in advance .

sanyo SBC-245K
sanyo SBC-725K
samsung rw52dass
samsung rw33ebss
[Reply]
icehog3 08:50 AM 04-09-2011
I looked through the internet for Samsung and Sanyo wine coolers and could not find anything, even without trying to use the model numbers. Do you have other wine cooler options available?
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 09:52 AM 04-09-2011
I found them all online, but the sanyo website was only in Thai(I guess) and there was no mention of what kind of cooling unit the samsung ones used. The samsung site has a contact us section, have you tried calling or emailing?

The sanyo ones:
http://www.sanyo.co.th/coldchain/pro...llar/index.php

The samsungs:
http://www.samsung.com/ie/consumer/h...=specification
http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consume...il&tab=support

Compressor type coolers can be made to work, but most prefer thermoelectric. If you can't get thermoelectric, ya gotta make do with what you can get. I don't have any real experience with wine coolers, so maybe someone else can give a better answer.

If you can't get a hold of anyone over there, I could call their N. American help lines and see if they know anything.
[Reply]
MiamiE 09:53 AM 04-09-2011
Do a Google search for Vinotemp. They have some nice models and I am sure they have a distributor in Asia. :-)
[Reply]
sanukmac 10:05 AM 04-09-2011
Hi and thanks for getting back to me , I will do some more searching and see if I can find a wine cooler that is thermoelectric , these are the only brands that I have come up with so far . I am pretty sure that the ones that I have previously mentioned are not thermoelectric and yes that language was Thai .
On a side note I guess there is no way that I can get away with not using a cooler here in Thailand as it is so hot ?
[Reply]
bobarian 11:00 AM 04-09-2011
I would talk to other enthusiasts in your area regarding the necessity of a wine cooler. They may have other alternatives or be able to steer you in the right direction. Good luck.
[Reply]
ysr_racer 10:02 AM 04-15-2011
Hi,

Can I use coarse Kosher salt for the salt test? It's all I have in the house right now.
[Reply]
kydsid 10:20 AM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:
Hi,

Can I use coarse Kosher salt for the salt test? It's all I have in the house right now.

Potentially. Salt testing is really about making a paste with the salt and just a bit of water. If the crystals are bigger like they are in most kosher salts achieving paste might be a bit difficult. Might have to grind up the salt to get it to work.

But I say sense kosher salt costs more than the cheap iodized stuff just wait until the next grocery visit. Unless you have ridiculously high humidity or no humidity even a couple days at where its at will have a long term affect on the cigars.
[Reply]
SteveH 12:36 PM 04-15-2011
I used kosher salt for my salt test; worked fine. Just realize that its a fine line between just right and too much water.
[Reply]
Zeuceone 02:29 PM 04-15-2011
i noticed a tiny bit of mold brewing on the humidity puck in my humi, any reason why?
[Reply]
T.G 02:39 PM 04-15-2011
Originally Posted by Zeuceone:
i noticed a tiny bit of mold brewing on the humidity puck in my humi, any reason why?
You're using the floral foam humidifier (aka: "credo") I take it?

Not an uncommon occurrence, considering it's a perfect environment for mold to grow, and PG solution won't completely stop it.

I'd just toss it and order some beads from either Heartfelt or Michael (CigarNut).
[Reply]
Zeuceone 05:33 PM 04-15-2011
yes im suign the foam. the mold is actually on the plastic puck. definately going to get beads once i have cigars to fill my humi. thanks, adam.
[Reply]
chachee52 07:27 AM 04-17-2011
So to keep with the hydrometer theme a little. I bought mine about a year and a half ago. How long to the batteries usually last and when you change the battery i would assume that you should also recalibtrate it?
Mine seems to be starting to get a little hard to read so I was going to go get a new battery anyway.
[Reply]
T.G 08:38 AM 04-17-2011
Originally Posted by chachee52:
So to keep with the hydrometer theme a little. I bought mine about a year and a half ago. How long to the batteries usually last and when you change the battery i would assume that you should also recalibtrate it?
Mine seems to be starting to get a little hard to read so I was going to go get a new battery anyway.
How long the batteries last depends on the hygrometer and the batteries. Certain types & brands of batteries will last more or less than others, but it's probably best to change it once every 6 months to a year regardless.

Rechecking the calibration at that point isn't a bad thing.
[Reply]
Whee 08:40 AM 04-17-2011
Really depends on the battery. I have had them last months. Just had to change them recently with batteries that only lasted about 5 weeks.:-)

I always recalibrate with new batteries, just in case.
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:24 AM 04-17-2011
Personally I change the batteries in mine about every three months. Proabably overkill, but it's only a few bucks against my peace-of-mind.

Digital hgygrometers need a good battery in order to provide accurate results. As the battery degrades so does the accuracy.

Also, when you change the batteries I recommend recalibrating/retesting.
[Reply]
Page 18 of 39
« First < 8161718 192028 > Last »
Up