Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>65% Heartfelt beads leave my humidor at 72%
4theLoveofCedar 02:43 PM 09-12-2013
I have been using the 65% heartfelt beads (largest tube, more than enough for my 100-count desktop) for about a year now and only recently bought a digital hygrometer (Caliber IV). The hygrometer salt tested at a perfect 75% after an 8-hour test. I was shocked to find out that my humidor checked in at 72%. What is going on? I don't open my humidor everyday - probably once a week or less. The ambient humidity is high (usually above 75%) but I keep the Heartfelt beads at least halfway solid white so they can absorb excess humidity. I have read that the beads do not absorb humidity as well as they release it. I've also read that cigars release humidity slowly. Could it be that I just need to wait longer for the beads to soak up excess humidity? Is there a better product for high humidity environments like mine?
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 02:58 PM 09-12-2013
There are threads here that can help you with that, seems like you might need to dry out a small portion of your beads, forgive me if I'm mistaken but you can do that with a hairdryer (easiest way).

Again if you look through the sticky threads you'll find a ton of information, might be your beads are just a bit over saturated right now.

:-)

Edit: Sticky Thread all about Beads <-- that's what you are looking for, good luck. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 03:04 PM 09-12-2013
As Adam as stated there are a lot of threads that can help you; "Search" is your friend.

In any case, if your ambient RH is less than 65% I would remove the HF beads from your humidor and let your humidor dry out a bit -- maybe even leave it open for a bit.

Dry out your beads a bit so that they are not saturating your humidor and you should be fine.
[Reply]
bonjing 04:40 PM 09-12-2013
Try calibrating your hygrometer for longer than 8 hours.

From the sticky thread on how to calibrate your hygorometer:

4. Wait 24 hours, then check the reading on your hygrometer without opening the bag or container (or quickly open the container and check if the container is not clear).

We've been super humid here in the bay the past few weeks so that may make a difference. How are your cigars smoking?
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 04:43 PM 09-12-2013
Put the beads and the hygrometer in an airtight container and see if the beads are doing what you expect. Otherwise, your humi is leakkee.
[Reply]
T.G 05:19 PM 09-12-2013
If you like how the cigars smoke and burn, then don't sweat it.
[Reply]
dwoodward 05:39 PM 09-12-2013
72% is within smokeable range so not a big deal.

Are you 100% sure your humidor doesn't have a leak? It's possible that you have a couple humid days in a row, with your windows open and the humidity from outside is getting into your humidor causing the RH to climb.
[Reply]
4theLoveofCedar 05:59 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by bonjing:
We've been super humid here in the bay the past few weeks so that may make a difference. How are your cigars smoking?
They've always smoked somewhat poorly and I've recently begun to suspect they have been over humidified, which is why I bought the hygrometer.
[Reply]
4theLoveofCedar 06:00 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Are you 100% sure your humidor doesn't have a leak? It's possible that you have a couple humid days in a row, with your windows open and the humidity from outside is getting into your humidor causing the RH to climb.
No, I'm not sure at all. This could be the problem.
[Reply]
4theLoveofCedar 06:03 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
Put the beads and the hygrometer in an airtight container and see if the beads are doing what you expect. Otherwise, your humi is leakkee.
Great suggestion. Will do. And it very well might be the humidor leaking.

Regardless of the source of the problem, once I get the problem fixed, any idea how long it will take for the cigars to adjust down to 65% or thereabouts? Heard it can be a slow process but not sure if that means, days, weeks, or months.
[Reply]
CigarNut 06:06 PM 09-12-2013
How fast the cigars change depends upon how big a change you are trying to make. Going from 72% to 65% can take weeks. You might be able to drybox a few if you want to dry a few out quickly.

Cigars require patience.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:27 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
72% is within smokeable range so not a big deal.
I don't know many folks who would agree.
72% is too wet.
Just my :-)
[Reply]
JJKJR 05:18 AM 09-13-2013
I just had a similar issue with too much humidity. It caused my sticks the draw hard. It was from the Heartfelt Beads. There's another thread on this forum somewhere that talks about not fully charging their Heartfelt Beads which finally brought down the humidity. I did it slowly over 3 weeks and it worked. During that time I dry boxed a few sticks and smoked those until the humi dried out.
[Reply]
milhouse 10:56 AM 09-18-2013
If your cigars are over humidified, (like you suggested), they are acting like water pillows, providing humidity to the humidor. Check the RH outside of the box. If it is lower than 72, then crack the box for a few days.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 03:45 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by JJKJR:
I just had a similar issue with too much humidity. It caused my sticks the draw hard. It was from the Heartfelt Beads. There's another thread on this forum somewhere that talks about not fully charging their Heartfelt Beads which finally brought down the humidity. I did it slowly over 3 weeks and it worked. During that time I dry boxed a few sticks and smoked those until the humi dried out.
I try to only charge 1/2-3/4 of the beads making sure I still have white (dry) beads to allow them to absorb excess humidity. That's the whole point of the beads. Make sure you don't charge 100% of your beads or you won't be able to even out an over humidified humidor.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:48 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
If you like how the cigars smoke and burn, then don't sweat it.
:-)

People sweat humidity too much. :-)
[Reply]
4theLoveofCedar 05:58 PM 09-18-2013
So I have been blow drying the beads for several weeks now to dry them mostly out. For some reason, the humidity has actually gone up to 74% in my humidor. I've tested the same beads in a tightly sealed Tupperware and get similar results so I don't think it is a leaky humidor. I'm hoping my cigars were just over humidified and are taking their sweet time to release the excess. I emailed David from Heartfelt to see what he thinks. To be continued...
[Reply]
CoffeeWaterBeer 08:26 AM 09-19-2013
Like Michael mentioned above, in the meantime, try dry-boxing some of the sticks you know you're going to smoke soon so they have a chance to release some of that moisture.
[Reply]
4theLoveofCedar 10:06 AM 09-19-2013
Originally Posted by CoffeeWaterBeer:
Like Michael mentioned above, in the meantime, try dry-boxing some of the sticks you know you're going to smoke soon so they have a chance to release some of that moisture.
Not sure that would help in my particular situation. The ambient humidity is always above 75%.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:28 AM 09-19-2013
Unless you live in the Sunset your average Rh is much lower than 75%. Many of us live all around the Bay Area and have no problems with high humidity. I suspect you have issues other than Relative Humidity. As has been said, be sure only 1/3 to 1/2 your beads are clear. Check for leaks and dry box a stick for a day and try smoking. :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up