Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Vinotemp Runs Constantly
Golfman 09:44 AM 08-18-2009
My Vinotemp runs all day because I live in Manhattan and I dont want a 400 dollar electric bill. My problem is this...

Since the cooler is always running it condenses humidity severly pissing me off with low rH numbers around 58%-60% instead of the desired 65%.

Is there any way to counteract the condensing properties of the coolerdor so that the temp remains low and humidity remains high? I have a few fans in the humi and 2lbs of 65% beads plus a Cigar Oasis... Nothing seems to keep the humidity up.
[Reply]
kydsid 09:49 AM 08-18-2009
Is the drain plugged? If it isn't that is your first and greatest problem, IMO.

Take a look at what I did to my Edgestar you may have to rig something comparable.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19819
[Reply]
Golfman 09:57 AM 08-18-2009
The drain is plugged but I have some fan wires running through the drain so its not 100% air tight... Water does leak through the drain but a lot of it is collected by beads that I placed right at the drainage point.
[Reply]
kydsid 10:18 AM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Golfman:
The drain is plugged but I have some fan wires running through the drain so its not 100% air tight... Water does leak through the drain but a lot of it is collected by beads that I placed right at the drainage point.
So first thing is to plug that drain completely. I would get some Electricians putty to seal the drain. It never dries but provides a water tight seal. :-)

Then you can see what McGyver methods you need to employ.
[Reply]
Golfman 10:24 AM 08-18-2009
i'll give that a shot... I have always felt that its best to tackle the problem from the start and in this case the thermoelectric cooling unit in the Vino is condensing the humidity into water droplets which is why the humidity is so low. Is there no direct way to counteract the process of dehumidification by the cooling plate?
[Reply]
kydsid 10:31 AM 08-18-2009
Is there no direct way to counteract the process of dehumidification by the cooling plate?
Nope. I'm sure Shilala can put more info into that answer for me. :-)

But if you don't have a closed system you can't really know how much it is effecting your rH and how much is escaping.
[Reply]
aich75013 10:37 AM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by kydsid:
So first thing is to plug that drain completely. I would get some Electricians putty to seal the drain.
That's what I am using thanks to a suggestion for Shilala. Cost less that $3.
Seems to be fairly stable. Only had the setup for about 2 weeks, though.
My room temp is 74 F. I can't cool it anymore as my wife and daughter complain as it is that it is too cold in the house. Outside temp is about 98-100 F.
[Reply]
Golfman 10:47 AM 08-18-2009
So lame....

I guess my last questions on this issue before I give up is, will high powered fans help regulate the humidity? or does that not matter.
[Reply]
kydsid 11:20 AM 08-18-2009
So lame....

I guess my last questions on this issue before I give up is, will high powered fans help regulate the humidity? or does that not matter.
It's all about the fans CFM. Oust fan's IMO aren't enough. From the sounds of it you have computer fans and they should move enough air, especially considering the Vino's fan is also running. This of course also depends how much is in the vino. :-)
[Reply]
Prospector 11:55 AM 08-18-2009
What temperature are you trying to maintain inside the Vino? Anything below around 67 F is overkill and could possibly be contributing to your problem.

Also, is it a Vino with a thermoelectric cooler or one with a compressor cooler? The compressor coolers get much colder at the coils and will almost always condense out moisture. Thermoelectrics are the way to go for cigars.
[Reply]
Mugen910 12:09 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by Prospector:
What temperature are you trying to maintain inside the Vino? Anything below around 67 F is overkill and could possibly be contributing to your problem.

Also, is it a Vino with a thermoelectric cooler or one with a compressor cooler? The compressor coolers get much colder at the coils and will almost always condense out moisture. Thermoelectrics are the way to go for cigars.
Actually anything below 60F might be overkill if you plan on smoking stuff out of that vino every day. If you keep temps high you are inviting beetles to hatch if there is one or two eggs in all your cigars. Most of the people I know keep their cigars around 60-65 and the humidity at the same range...the lower the humidity and temps in the 58-60 range is for long term aging. I would not let my temp go higher in temp than 68, same goes for the RH.:-)
[Reply]
Golfman 12:36 PM 08-18-2009

I live in a crappy walk up apartment in NYC... During the summer months the ambient temp in my room approaches probabyl about 98 degrees... the temp in the Vino at its highest is around 80 degress but thats rare... it reaches about 78 when i get home and the humidity is usually about 55%. When I turn the AC on the temp runs down to 67 but the humidity remains at about 55%. The humidity is higher on the bottom about 65% because the humidity isnt condensin on the bottom only where the fan blowing in is the humidity really low for my tastes.

I had no idea that there were different types of Vinotemps. I just bought one. How do i know if its thermo electric or compressor cooled? I just ran out and got some putty. I'll seal up the drainage hole for good when i get home and recharge the beads... I'll update you all and see if it makes a difference
[Reply]
kydsid 12:46 PM 08-18-2009
Easy way to tell is if you have a flat thin bottom, about 2-4". That is where the compressor tank would be if you have one.
[Reply]
Prospector 12:53 PM 08-18-2009
I live in a crappy walk up apartment in NYC... During the summer months the ambient temp in my room approaches probabyl about 98 degrees... the temp in the Vino at its highest is around 80 degress but thats rare... it reaches about 78 when i get home and the humidity is usually about 55%. When I turn the AC on the temp runs down to 67 but the humidity remains at about 55%. The humidity is higher on the bottom about 65% because the humidity isnt condensin on the bottom only where the fan blowing in is the humidity really low for my tastes.

I had no idea that there were different types of Vinotemps. I just bought one. How do i know if its thermo electric or compressor cooled? I just ran out and got some putty. I'll seal up the drainage hole for good when i get home and recharge the beads... I'll update you all and see if it makes a difference
Based on your symptoms I would say that you do indeed have a thermoelectric unit. They are only capable of cooling 20 to 30 degrees below ambient, which is what you are seeing. I am at a loss to explain the condensation, however. That shouldn't be happening at those temperatures.

The daily temperature fluctuations might explain the inability to adequately regulate RH. The time required to stabilize RH is longer than the daily temperature cycle times, and RH is a function of temperature. Not sure how to resolve it, though.
[Reply]
kydsid 01:06 PM 08-18-2009
I am at a loss to explain the condensation, however. That shouldn't be happening at those temperatures.
I beg to differ. With temperature changes and ambiet temps he is seeing it would be impossible not to have condensation. The harder the unit has to work the more water the cooler will condese out of the air. When it is up to 90+ ambient the cooler is working at it's maximum output to cool the cabinet. He is going to have to collect and return the condensate to the air in some fashion.

The daily temperature fluctuations might explain the inability to adequately regulate RH. The time required to stabilize RH is longer than the daily temperature cycle times, and RH is a function of temperature.
True but with a plugged drain and more beads or some other method he can reduce that to a minimum. My rH is affected the same as his with the temperature swings. My modifications have reduced those effects to nill except for a small portion of the day. Even when allowed to go extremely low during testing my edgestar was able to recover to within 2% of 65% rH within 6 hours with 2-3lbs of beads.
[Reply]
Golfman 01:13 PM 08-18-2009
Based on your symptoms I would say that you do indeed have a thermoelectric unit. They are only capable of cooling 20 to 30 degrees below ambient, which is what you are seeing. I am at a loss to explain the condensation, however. That shouldn't be happening at those temperatures.

The daily temperature fluctuations might explain the inability to adequately regulate RH. The time required to stabilize RH is longer than the daily temperature cycle times, and RH is a function of temperature. Not sure how to resolve it, though.
Yea I would concure with kydsid that I have a thermoelectric unit. I definitely dont have a cooling tank on the bottom of the humi...

I can literally see the beads of water flowing down the back of the humi. There is no question condensation is occuring. Unfortunately I have to keep the humi at the lowest possible setting otherwise i run the risk of infestation... Ultimately my cigars feel spongy and they taste fine but I want the peace of mind that they are resting steady at 65% all over my humi... I will not be defeated by nature or physics... or a vino temp...
[Reply]
mrreindeer 01:28 PM 08-18-2009
Pretty strange....I haven't had any beads of water in mine since last summer (ever) and I live in L.A. Mine is steady 65-65....sorry you're having this problem. I do have my drain plugged, for what it's worth.
[Reply]
Golfman 01:48 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
Pretty strange....I haven't had any beads of water in mine since last summer (ever) and I live in L.A. Mine is steady 65-65....sorry you're having this problem. I do have my drain plugged, for what it's worth.
Yea I have no idea whats going on... I'll plug the drain real nice when I get home... then maybe things will stabilize...
[Reply]
kydsid 01:56 PM 08-18-2009
Originally Posted by mrreindeer:
But what is the ambient temp in the room it is in? And does that temperature vary throughout the day?
[Reply]
mrreindeer 08:17 AM 08-19-2009
Originally Posted by kydsid:
But what is the ambient temp in the room it is in? And does that temperature vary throughout the day?
It can really vary...lately it's been in the mid to upper '70's...sometimes caps out in the mid to upper '80's. The temp really does vary. We live by the ocean so it gets warm during the day and then really cools off at night.
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up